PDA

View Full Version : First face turning Pics

Larry Crim
01-22-2006, 4:44 PM
Made these today its my first attempt at face turning, been practicing with between center exercises and watching some videos but felt it was time to take a stab at it so I went very slow and came out with this. It's a 13" sticky rice tray for the wife made with some mahogany shorts I had gathering dust. (I'm spoiled having a Thai wife thats a great cook) Came out fairly nice all things considered. Did have to do a little off the lathe sanding to hide my lack of experience. Gotta thank Clem W. for all his help and assistance not to mention selling me a great lathe for a good price.
Thanks for looking
Larry

Keith Burns
01-22-2006, 4:50 PM
Great start Larry. Looks good from where I set:) :) . Hope you can bring them next Sat:)

Jim Dunn
01-22-2006, 5:14 PM
Cool Larry and doubly so that your wife is a "great" cook. Mine is kinda the credit card and car type cook. Drive to the next great eatery on the list:)

George Conklin
01-22-2006, 5:45 PM
Very nice, Larry. I love the warmth of Mahogany. Interesting grain patterns. You never know what you'll get and it's easy for me to turn. Sort of . Not that anything is easy for me to turn:rolleyes: .

George

Andy Hoyt
01-22-2006, 5:51 PM
Looks great Larry. Well done.

But I gotta ask. What's a "sticky rice tray"? As opposed to just about any other kind of serving tray thingamabob, that is.

Larry Crim
01-22-2006, 7:13 PM
Thanks all
Andy it's pretty much the same except it has a thick base in this case about 9/16" and straight sides it so you can spread out the rice and seperate it while it cools.
Larry

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2006, 7:19 PM
Great job Larry. They look very nice. Better than I did the first time.

Ernie Nyvall
01-22-2006, 8:38 PM
Very well done Larry. I can taste the Thai food now.

Ernie

Dick Parr
01-22-2006, 8:55 PM
Those look great Larry:)

Clem Wixted
01-23-2006, 7:53 AM
Thats not only a good looking piece but also a practical one. Good way to let the wife see how intelligent you were to get another needed tool.

Now, since you will be eating from what she uses of your work, maybe she will start to use your tools and make things for herself. Then you can get a bigger lathe for yourself.:)

Clem

Jeff Sudmeier
01-23-2006, 8:41 AM
Larry, that looks great! I love the figure in them both.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-23-2006, 6:59 PM
Lookin' Real good there, Larry.

Bruce