PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Source?

Mike Congiusti
08-01-2022, 8:44 AM
Hi all,

I'm in need of a primo curly maple place. I will be heading up to PA from SC in a few weeks. I know of one place that may have a good selection, but no guarantee. Anyone know of a place?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Truhn
08-01-2022, 9:15 AM
Mike,
You can try C.P. Johnson Lumber in Elkwood Va. they usually have a very nice selection of hardwoods including curly maple in stock for a reasonable price.

Mike

Andrew Hughes
08-01-2022, 9:42 AM
I think that stuff is graded by A’s. AA, AAA maybe even four AAAA.
Good Luck

Jim Becker
08-01-2022, 9:51 AM
You may get lucky at a place like Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford in the special room they have for premium figured woods near the entrance to the big barn. But there are also lumber suppliers out there that specialize in highly figured wood, often for luthiery, but not limited to that. If your needs are specific and exact, those specialty places are likely the best source because there's less demand for this material "at retail" and it's harder to find just lying about on shelves somewhere. (unless you have a fortunate day...and you should also then buy a lottery ticket :D )

Phillip Mitchell
08-01-2022, 10:04 AM
Maybe try Irion Lumber. They have some special stuff and the reputation to back it up.

Greg Parrish
08-01-2022, 10:12 AM
Depending on how much you need, I would look up Rockler and Woodcraft stores that may be on your route. If you only need a few pieces, you may find them in these stores. Price might be higher, but for only a small amount it may not be an issue.

Ron Citerone
08-01-2022, 10:19 AM
Groff and Groff lumber in Quaryville PA might have some. I bougt some there a few years back.

Tom M King
08-01-2022, 10:32 AM
There is always a good selection on ebay.

Mike Congiusti
08-01-2022, 10:33 AM
You may get lucky at a place like Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford in the special room they have for premium figured woods near the entrance to the big barn. But there are also lumber suppliers out there that specialize in highly figured wood, often for luthiery, but not limited to that. If your needs are specific and exact, those specialty places are likely the best source because there's less demand for this material "at retail" and it's harder to find just lying about on shelves somewhere. (unless you have a fortunate day...and you should also then buy a lottery ticket :D )

I lived in NE PA for 25 years and know Hearne Hardwoods very well. They are a possibility. As far as buying a lottery ticket I gave that up 10 years ago. Even at 1.2 billion last week I did not spend 2 bucks for a chance. LOL

Robert LaPlaca
08-01-2022, 1:26 PM
I am with Phillip.

I have bought plenty of lumber from Groff and Groff and Hearne, this sounds like a job for Irion Lumber (they have plenty of my money too :)).

Jay Norton
08-01-2022, 5:08 PM
I usually find curly maple at Bailey Wood Products in Kempton, PA

Jim Becker
08-01-2022, 8:19 PM
I lived in NE PA for 25 years '

I grew up in NE PA in Wayne County. My brother and most of his progeny still live there. Hearne is a lot closer to me here in SE PA, but it's still about an hour and a quarter or more drive, depending on traffic. So I only do that run once or twice a year.

Mel Fulks
08-01-2022, 8:46 PM
We used to order a lot of “soft maple” from a local company , much of it was figured. We saved the figured stuff …and waited for the phone
call wanting figured maple ….but there were few of those. So we stored it until we got the call for a big painted maple job.

Robert London
08-02-2022, 10:39 AM
The dimensions of lumber / quantity you need will determine how difficult it is to find. What specs are you looking for?

Prashun Patel
08-02-2022, 11:44 AM
Where in PA? If you are near Kesey, contact Pete Terbovich at Horizon. They will likely have an ok supply of curly maple. They will likely have an outstanding supply of curly cherry if you want a real treat….

Mark Canter
08-03-2022, 6:47 AM
Try Raleigh Reclaimed in Raleigh in your way north (or south).

Mike King
08-03-2022, 8:50 AM
https://www.curlymaple.com/Default.asp

Robert LaPlaca
08-03-2022, 10:10 AM
https://www.curlymaple.com/Default.asp

Thanks, a new (to me) lumber dealer.

I wonder if the owner Mike Taran is any relation to Peter Taran (of Independence saw fame), I think Pete mentioned on the Neanderthal forum that the family had a lumber business?

Mike Congiusti
08-03-2022, 7:41 PM
I lived in NE PA near Wilkes Barre. I know Irion but it's too far to travel. Horizon is on the wrong side of the state. I have plenty to choose from the list above, thanks. This is roughly what I need.

Part
Size (L)
Size (W)
Qty
Material
Bdft
Bdft

Curly Maple

Lingerie Side
Curly Maple

OR/ Dresser Side
Curly Maple

OR Dresser Side
Curly Maple

Dresser/Lingerie Draw Fronts
Curly Maple

Dresser Draw Fronts
Curly Maple

Top Lingerie
Cherry

Top Dresser
Cherry

Rails
Cherry

Rails 5/4
Cherry

Jim Becker
08-03-2022, 7:46 PM
Given what you need, the places in SE PA will likely be most convenient to go shopping. Hopefully, your travel itinerary will permit you the time to do that without being rushed since the places like Hearne, Groff, etc., are worthy of being explored to find the material that really speaks to your project. And with figured material, there has to be some consistency, too, or it will look wonky and out of balance. In that respect, I'm going to mention the obvious...you'll want to buy a lot more than you actually need to permit the grain/figure and color matching necessary to have an outstanding project result.

Mike Congiusti
08-03-2022, 10:27 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the advice. Yea, I've been the Hearne many times. I spent many hours on the second floor looking through 8/4 maple, walnut and cherry. Of course I was a lot younger then. LOL I have my block plane to take a slice to see the grain better. One place in VA that I've never been to skip planes the wood for a better look. Someone from the forum plans on going there maybe this week and will check out what they have. I always buy more than what I need. Thats why something like this I would never order via the net.

Cheers from the hot and sunny south. Can't wait to go home and cool off. :D

Jim Becker
08-04-2022, 1:34 PM
Cheers from the hot and sunny south. Can't wait to go home and cool off. :D

LOL...105ºF "real feel" here today...