PDA

View Full Version : How long to soak a billet

Jim Dunn
01-22-2006, 3:01 PM
I just turned a billet of ambrosia maple from some stock John Hart sent me. My SWMBO says I need a base for a hollow form I just turned. So how long do I need to DNA soak a solid 4" diameter 6" long piece of wet green wood?

I don't want to screw up any of this wood as John is moving and once you get a horsey you never have any time for wood working or family or friends or anything but horsey stuff;):p:p:p

Jim

Jim Becker
01-22-2006, 3:54 PM
I am going to take a wild guess that trying to "speed" condition that billet is not really going to work. From what I've read on the DNA method, etc., it's really best suited to rough turnings that are 1/2" to an inch in thickness.

Jim Dunn
01-22-2006, 5:12 PM
So I'm guessing that it needs to set on the shelf for a period of time to dry. But how to prevent cracking/checking? Won't the DNA method remove the free moisture and help a little?

Jim

Andy Hoyt
01-22-2006, 5:59 PM
Jim - here's an idea for a base I found not long ago. Can't take credit for the idea. Looks easy, fun and customizable. Perhaps this will allow you to get the base done sooner and with small dryer stock to begin with.

Gary Max
01-22-2006, 6:43 PM
If you try to dry hardwood that is that thick , I don't think the Alkey method will work. I doubt if it will penetrate---leaving the center wet.

Jim Dunn
01-22-2006, 6:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions on this project. I thought the bowl was finished, but "OH NOOOO". Now I gotta come up with something to set on as the coffee table won't do as a stand:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2006, 7:47 PM
I would agree with Gary. If you aren't going to rough turn it, drying that big a piece may take a good long time. If you are putting it on the shelf to dry I would paint the end grain with anchorseal. I don't think alcohol will do you any good at least not that thick.

Cody Colston
01-22-2006, 10:12 PM
I recently turned a box from a 3" x 7" piece of green Hackberry that I picked up in South Louisiana. It was from a Katrina blow down.

I had DNA soaked the billet for 24 hours, anchorsealed the ends and left it to dry (no wrapping) for app. a month. The box turned out very nice and to my knowledge has not warped or cracked. I gave it to my son's girlfriend for Christmas.

The interesting thing was that it smelled like bourbon while turning...very strong but not unpleasant. I'm a teetotaler, but I kinda liked it. ;)

I've never experienced that with any other wood and don't know if it is unique to Hackberry in general or just that particular piece.

Jim Dunn
01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Cody I quit drinking about 28years ago and am now you have me afraid to turn anything soaked in "Alkihaul".:) I'll try to wait the appropriate time before I finish this piece. But it's getting harder to wait as I get older.

Jim

John Hart
01-23-2006, 7:50 AM
I don't think I understand the question.:o Can't you still rough turn a base and dry it in alcohol, then spin it up and finish turn it just like you would a bowl? If I were you Jim, I'd tell that John Hart guy to send me another chunk of Ambrosia maple so I could experiment freely without having to worry about the results. 'Sides...I really don't think he's going to being sludging around in horse poop. I think he wants a fruit orchard. ;)

Jim Dunn
01-23-2006, 8:16 AM
Anything in wood you'd cut down to turn in the lathe. You'd never get a pear,apple or for that matter a leaf:) Better the horse, you can't chuck him up, can you?

Jim