PDA

View Full Version : Drilling holes in bandsaw blade

Bernie Kopfer
07-28-2022, 12:19 PM
I want to drill some 1/4” holes in short lengths of used BS blade to make small hoops to be used as drying racks etc. does heating the metal red hot in the area of the hole make the metal easier to drill? ( after it cools) I’ll use a carbide drill bit. Any other suggestions or advice?

Tom M King
07-28-2022, 12:38 PM
Probably better to punch them than drill them.

Richard Coers
07-28-2022, 1:41 PM
I just bend little pieces into triangles and there is no need to fasten the ends together. I set bowls on them to let the finish dry. I'd guess you need a cobalt drill bit, not a carbide if you want to continue down your path

Bruce Wrenn
07-28-2022, 5:37 PM
I want to drill some 1/4” holes in short lengths of used BS blade to make small hoops to be used as drying racks etc. does heating the metal red hot in the area of the hole make the metal easier to drill? ( after it cools) I’ll use a carbide drill bit. Any other suggestions or advice?To heat area to be drilled, chuck a cut off 16d nail in drill press. Then with DP running, bring nail down on hole location, which will turn red due to friction.

Richard Coers
07-28-2022, 7:29 PM
Soldering or brazing the ends together would also be easier than drilling and bolting.

Bruce Volden
07-28-2022, 8:26 PM
Soldering or brazing the ends together would also be easier than drilling and bolting.

Someone owes me a new keyboard!!!

Bruce

Walter Mooney
07-28-2022, 10:37 PM
+ 1 to what Mr. Coers said, with the slight difference that I bend my bandsaw pieces into a “V” shape to use as drying ‘racks’. I have three different sizes, ranging from a 2-1/2” leg to about a 4” leg. I keep them clipped together with one of those black, springy binder clips and store them hung from a shelf.

Tom Bender
08-05-2022, 8:19 AM
This is a great idea, I'm going to make some. V seems easiest.

Bernie Kopfer
08-05-2022, 11:46 AM
After all the good advice I decided to try just cutting and bending some triangles. Viola! Worked perfectly. Used a thin wire to hold the ends togerher. On the plus side I now own a nice set of cobalt drill bits😁

Bill Dufour
08-05-2022, 12:58 PM
A simple welder with a small carbon arc stick will heat it fast. A car battery would be enough.
Bill D