PDA

View Full Version : How does this little vise work?

Dean Coss
07-25-2022, 8:54 PM
I found this tool at an antique store and it was labeled “machinist’s vise”. I can’t seem to figure out exactly what all the functions on it are. One of the thumbscrews looks like it is used to hold small cylindrical parts, but I can’t seem to figure it out. Anyone ever seen one of these? And if so, what all is it used for?

Maurice Mcmurry
07-25-2022, 9:17 PM
I think it it a tubing vice for end dressing and bending tubing.

Bradley Gray
07-25-2022, 9:28 PM
I agree tubing - an incomplete flaring tool.

Dean Coss
07-26-2022, 4:58 AM
That makes sense. Thanks!

Maurice Mcmurry
07-26-2022, 8:52 AM
It is odd. I do not recognize it from the building trades. It may be from the automobile industry. It looks like it would be for soft materials like copper or aluminum.

Ed Aumiller
07-26-2022, 8:56 AM
Looks like the special flaring tool that does the steel brake lines on a car, missing parts though...

Bruce Page
07-26-2022, 2:26 PM
It is odd. I do not recognize it from the building trades. It may be from the automobile industry. It looks like it would be for soft materials like copper or aluminum.

Ditto, it doesn't look like anything I've seen in the machining trades.

Lee Schierer
07-26-2022, 6:29 PM
I doubt it is for flaring tubing. The thumb screw has a flat tip and you need more leverage to produce a flare even in copper or aluminum.

John K Jordan
07-26-2022, 7:14 PM
I see the clamp and the thumbscrew which is perhaps missing something. But the odd thing is the round clamp that appears to be holding a square piece of steel at-an angle. The square steel piece looks a lot like a tool steel cutting bit. Is it hardened steel? Does the end or edge appear to be sharpened? Is the angle adjustable?

This looks like something to send to TubalCain, if he’s still around, for his youtube mystery tool series.

Bill Dufour
07-27-2022, 12:54 PM
That circle bit looks to me like it is for bending tubing.
Bill D