PDA

View Full Version : A wierd stain on my cast iron outfeed side of my jointer? HELP!!

Josh Goldsmith
01-22-2006, 12:05 PM
YEAH i finally got a Jointer! I bought a grizzly 1018hw 8" jointer. I went yesterday to pick it up and take it home. It is in great condition. The only thing wrong with it is on the outfeed side the cast iron has been tarnished or something. It looks like they slid walnut or somthing like that brown and stained the cast iron. Is there a way to sand or some sort stain cleaner. I will post pics when i get back from church. Thanks Josh

David Abel
01-22-2006, 12:18 PM
YEAH i finally got a Jointer! I bought a grizzly 1018hw 8" jointer. I went yesterday to pick it up and take it home. It is in great condition. The only thing wrong with it is on the outfeed side the cast iron has been tarnished or something. It looks like they slid walnut or somthing like that brown and stained the cast iron. Is there a way to sand or some sort stain cleaner. I will post pics when i get back from church. Thanks Josh

Metal polish should remove the stain. I've left walnut stains on all my equipment, from time to time. I use Meguair's Metal polish. Or you could sand with a high grit paper or Scotchbrite pad.

Jim Becker
01-22-2006, 3:50 PM
You can try and polish it out, but if it isn't rust...don't get overly worried about it. Cast iron can stain, but it just doesn't matter a whole lot! Keep a nice coat of paste wax on it (nothing with silicone!) and it should stay rust-free and be a pleasure to work with. Congrats on the new jointer!