PDA

View Full Version : hand plane/tool arsenal - would the more experienced folks please comment?

Marc Langille
01-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi,

Here's my list of hand planes:
Record planes:
(almost new)
No. 4
No. 4 1/2
No. 5 1/2
No. 778 duplex rabbetw/fence
no. 60 1/2
(new)
No. 7 jointer
No. 0202C Compass

Stanley (used, older):
No. 4
No. 4 1/2
No. 5
No. 60 1/2
No. 5 - (this one is a sweetheart)

Clifton:
3110 3-in-1 plane

Lee Valley:
No. 7 Bevel up jointer - (wow... awesome handles too... I may forgo some of the above and consider buying the set...)

Spokeshaves:
The full set of 3 from Lee Valley - flat, round and concave

Beading Tool:
From Lee Valley with plenty of blanks, etc.

Full set of Marples (blue chip) bench chisels, and a French set of firmer chisels (straight sides) from a Lee Valley tent sale years ago.

Starrett combination squares (12" and 18", with protractor and center finding heads). Starrett depth gauge.

I am trying to figure out if there's a glaring omission in my list?

I am pretty good at sharpening, etc. so fixing up and older tool is not a problem. The only thing I haven't tackled is hand made dovetails.
I occasionally need to clean rabbets, but I am suspecting the #778 may not meet all my needs.

Generally it's making tables or similar furniture for now... I can afford the occasional higher cost tool, but it's obviously not a priority for me. I like using the tools!
(Certain items I won't compromise on, such as high quality measuring and marking tools, portable power tools, since it will save heartache it the long run... )

Oh, and I have a $175 in Lee Valley gift certificates from my wife - that's the real reason for this rambling... :D:D:D:D

Roger Bell
01-22-2006, 12:09 PM
To start the conversation, you might consider a specialty plane or two. You already have the #20. How about a side rebate.....the #75 isn't too pricey and is handy. A bullnose rabbit maybe as well. Then there always at least occasional use for a scrub. Also a high angle smoother of some sort...since you don't have any woodies yet.....maybe a high angle Knight or the Ece Primus at York pitch, among others. The Stanley 95 is useful from time to time. And maybe a much smaller block plane (than the 60 1/2) for trimming tasks, such as the one by LV or a vintage MF 56.

Would also really consider a shoulder plane of some sort.....maybe the LV. Nothing you have now can do what that can do.

Marc Langille
01-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I forgot to add one - my Clifton 3110 plane, so that covers the bullnose, chisel and shoulder plane in one unit. I didn't want to buy 3 different planes, so it seemed to be a good compromise. I have corrected that in my original post - sorry about that!

I will check over the side rebates as you suggest.

What about a cabinet scraper plane... ??

Mike Wenzloff
01-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi Marc,

As with Roger, the small LV Apron block plane is a great size.

The 778 is a wonderful plane, better than the Stanley 78 is the simple addition of the two fence rods. Unless of course there is something wrong with yours. But if I were to replace it, it would be with a good one.

The high angle wood smoothers as suggested are great--at least with a little practice in setting the blade. Which is one advantage of the ECE style over the Knight--but I would still recommend the Knight plane. Well made and work wonderful.

Scrub as noted too. And the 95s--though I would just bite the bullet and get the LN versions--or the LV. Though LV only makes one half of the pair, it is wider and very comfortable to use. And yo have a gift certificate there.

Depending on the scale of the work, a #3 size bench plane is very handy. I would find a good vintage example for this and replace the blade with a Hock blade.

I always had use of the LN 98/99 side rabbet planes. Mark Stutz's thread has info concerning those.

Most other planes I would wait until I anticipated a need.

Take care, Mike

Mike Wenzloff
01-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Yep, a scraper plane is a good add on. As well as some card scrapers for more spot use. I owned a LN scraper plane and it is a wonderful tool. I sold it recently and should I get another it will be the LV version. I like being able to curve the bottom of the blade as per the LV one. And one can also pick up their thick blade for it in those instance where a non-bowed blade=full width is handy.

Take care, Mike

Mark Stutz
01-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Marc,
I think you have a great "collection" there and I can't add much. I agree with a side rebate of some type...I use mine a lot. I also agree with Mike about the Record 60 1/2. That was one of the first planes I ever bought. Spent a lot of time tuning it up, and it is great. It is a little big though, and I didn't even realize ti until I had a older Stanley 60 1/2 to compare.
You haven't mentioned any kind of layout tolls. The LV marking guage looks very good to me, though I don't yet have one.
I'm surprised Mike didn't mention saws!:D Depending on how much Neander work you plan on these will eventually be needed...cutting tenons, dovetails, etc,

Mark

Marc Langille
01-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi Marc,

As with Roger, the small LV Apron block plane is a great size.

The 778 is a wonderful plane, better than the Stanley 78 is the simple addition of the two fence rods. Unless of course there is something wrong with yours. But if I were to replace it, it would be with a good one.

The high angle wood smoothers as suggested are great--at least with a little practice in setting the blade. Which is one advantage of the ECE style over the Knight--but I would still recommend the Knight plane. Well made and work wonderful.

Scrub as noted too. And the 95s--though I would just bite the bullet and get the LN versions--or the LV. Though LV only makes one half of the pair, it is wider and very comfortable to use. And yo have a gift certificate there.

Depending on the scale of the work, a #3 size bench plane is very handy. I would find a good vintage example for this and replace the blade with a Hock blade.

I always had use of the LN 98/99 side rabbet planes. Mark Stutz's thread has info concerning those.

Most other planes I would wait until I anticipated a need.

Take care, Mike

Thanks Mike!
The 778 does have the fence, so I am good there.

I will check on the scraper plane and the apron planes, as well as a wooden bodied plane - that's a new area for me....

I will consider your suggestions for the No. 95 and No. 98's - thank you both!

Jim DeLaney
01-22-2006, 12:43 PM
A side rebate like the Stanley 79, or the 98/99 pair, or the (harder to find) Sargent 81 (my personal favorite) or the Record 2506 would add some capabilities to your mix, as would a Stanley or LN 97 for 'corner' work.

As for scrapers, I use my Stanley 12, 80, 81, and LV 112 quite a bit, as well as my LN 85.

In your bench planes group, adding a #3 might be handy, too.

The LV block plane(s) and their apron planes are also among my most-used.

Marc Langille
01-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Marc,
I think you have a great "collection" there and I can't add much. I agree with a side rebate of some type...I use mine a lot. I also agree with Mike about the Record 60 1/2. That was one of the first planes I ever bought. Spent a lot of time tuning it up, and it is great. It is a little big though, and I didn't even realize ti until I had a older Stanley 60 1/2 to compare.
You haven't mentioned any kind of layout tolls. The LV marking guage looks very good to me, though I don't yet have one.
I'm surprised Mike didn't mention saws!:D Depending on how much Neander work you plan on these will eventually be needed...cutting tenons, dovetails, etc,

Mark

You're right! I forgot about that - my mortise/marking gauge I bought is not working to my expectations...

This could become expensive - but I also am getting a big bonus in Feb....

Mark Singer
01-22-2006, 12:46 PM
A York or steeper pitch plane...I would get some woodie smoothers an ECE Primus and Steve Knight's coffin smoother...The other LV Bevel up's are terrific...The Big smoother and the Jack... A small shoulder like the LV Medium...I was never to fond of the Clifton 3 in 1 their others are great. A LN 102 Block is a great small helper...wonderful plane!

Marc Langille
01-22-2006, 12:53 PM
A York or steeper pitch plane...I would get some woodie smoothers an ECE Primus and Steve Knight's coffin smoother...The other LV Bevel up's are terrific...The Big smoother and the Jack... A small shoulder like the LV Medium...I was never to fond of the Clifton 3 in 1 their others are great. A LN 102 Block is a great small helper...wonderful plane!

I have only used the 3110 a few times, but only as a shoulder plane - I guess it's one of the situations where "if you don't have a better one, you don't know what you're missing... "

I may get the steeper beveled blades for the bevel up planes to give a York pitch (or steeper).

Alan DuBoff
01-22-2006, 1:43 PM
What about the LN 60 1/2R (rabbet block plane)? Good for tenon cleanup. If you hurry, Woodcraft has these on sale for $119, regular price is $149.

The other thing missing looks like a shoulder plane, been wanting one of them myself, the medium will do 3/4" dados. Both LN and LV are similarly priced. Good to clean up tenon shoulders also.

Alice Frampton
01-23-2006, 4:02 AM
Router plane?

Although really the best way to find a glaring omission is to make stuff until you get to the point where you go "I can't do this with the tools I have" or "this'd go much quicker/easier with a burfl". Boring, I know, but true.

Cheers, Alf

Steve Wargo
01-23-2006, 6:39 AM
I agree with ALF on this one, but I use a high angled smoother and a wooden handled plow plane an awful lot.

tod evans
01-23-2006, 8:56 AM
marc, i didn`t notice a set of trammels listed?......02 tod

Brad Schmid
01-23-2006, 10:41 AM
You have a good collection going.

I like Mike's suggestion of adding a #3. I have a type 10 that is a pleasure to use when the job calls for it. Also , I like the idea of adding a high angle smoother.

Something else you might consider is a good set of bevel edge socket chisels. I pieced together a set of near-full-length Witherby's, and I can tell you they are a joy to both maintain and use. All my other sets (including a set of Marples) are now relegated to more "abusive" work.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Marc, I think you can make nearly any type of case work you want with those tools. I wouldn't buy anything else until I needed it for a specific task unless I just wanted to buy something.

James Owen
01-23-2006, 1:14 PM
You might take a look at a good dovetail saw and a good tenon saw.
The small LN #102/#103 planes are very handy; you'll find a new use for them every day...
The Clifton #400 3/8" shoulder plane and the LN 1/2" bronze shoulder plane are exceptional, especially if you do small work like jewelry boxes, etc.
The TightMark marking gauges are really nice and very accurate.
A scrub plane would be most useful, if you do all/most of your board prep by hand.
A couple of spoke shaves (flat and curved sole) come in real handy for a wide variety of tasks.
A beading tool (or a scratch stock) is great for decorating, and -- a lot of the time -- a lot faster and easier than a router.
A bit brace and set of auger bits.
An egg beater drill and bits.
Perhaps some hollow & round planes?
The list could go on and on and on....

philip marcou
01-24-2006, 3:55 AM
30333Marc, depends on what type of woodworm you are-but what about the so very useful card scrapers and the Stanley #80 for starters?
Then again, looks like you like planes, so dare I suggest the Veritas insert scraper? ( I was lynched for that on Knots, but I find it to be a fine item, especially after reading the instructions and making a thicker blade).

Marc Langille
01-24-2006, 6:47 AM
James: that's one thing I need - one of the micro adjust marking gauges... and I added my spokeshaves after the fact - I forgot about them.

Phillip: I forgot about the card scraper insert that LV makes - that or buy the full scraping plane...

You're all on the money about buying something until you need it - I was not sure if I had an obvious omission!

Great ideas guys, from all of you!

C Stanford
01-24-2006, 3:06 PM
You look cleared for take-off to me. Start building projects and fill out your tool kit as legitimate needs present themselves.

philip marcou
01-25-2006, 2:37 AM
Charles, old chap, we meet again. I often wondered what had happened to you-now I know.
If you have not been in the shadows at knots you will not know that I have taken up plane making -stand by for some pictures when I have recieved the parts back from the engravers.

Tim Sproul
01-25-2006, 12:55 PM
You look cleared for take-off to me. Start building projects and fill out your tool kit as legitimate needs present themselves.

I agree.

Build something. Run into a problem? Does the solution need a new tool? Yes? What tool?