PDA

View Full Version : Smocks and Aprons

Keith Nordyke
07-23-2022, 8:56 PM
To preserve domestic tranquility, it is mandatory that I cease tracking chips into the house and that my shirt pockets and pants pockets stay clean of chips. Even my cell phone which stays in a pants pocket is filthy with chips. Apron or Smock? Brand?

I've done the google search and there are, of course, many options. My requirements are:
covers front pockets
keeps chips off the neck area and from coming down the neck of the shirt
long enough to keep pant's pockets clean
Preferably fairly light. I'm in the south and it's hot!
All thoughts valued. Apron vs Smock?
Thanks

Dwight Rutherford
07-23-2022, 9:10 PM
I buy windbreakers from thrift stores. Cut the sleeves off at the elbow. When they get dirty I buy another.

David Walser
07-23-2022, 10:32 PM
Look at the smocks sold by Craft Supplies USA and those sold by the AAW. I have both. I prefer those from CSUSA, but it’s a slight preference.

Brian Deakin
07-24-2022, 5:14 AM
I wear a second hand cycling top I purchased off eBay
It is light ,breathable, a zip in the front prevents saw dust going down the neck area and it has pockets in the rear
Being short sleeved provides the additional safety feature , it cannot get caught on a spinning lathe
There is also 3 pockets at the rear one is a zip pocket where you can keep your phone
It may be worth considering buying a larger size for added comfort as a loose fitting top may be a little cooler

example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195223826774?hash=item2d743f3156%3Ag%3AZXYAAOSwYnZ ipeNf&LH_Auction=1

Reed Gray
07-24-2022, 2:50 PM
Another vote for the CSUSA smock. It is light weight, and short sleeved, and I am one of those hot people. I have heard of people using the full cover Tyvek painters suits. That would be too hot for me. I do sweep off my socks as a broom will get most of that off, and probably change your shoes. Cell phone stays out of harm's way, and not in any pocket, except some times, I have it in my shorts pocket, which is covered by the smock.

robo hippy

Lawrence Duckworth
07-24-2022, 3:19 PM
To preserve domestic tranquility, it is mandatory that I cease tracking chips into the house

I bought a Lab Coat off amazon and cut the sleeves off at the elbow. :D... makes me look purdy smart too

John King
07-24-2022, 4:05 PM
Count my vote for Craft Supplies USA. Check it out at https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/search?term=smock. - John

Jeffrey J Smith
07-24-2022, 6:10 PM
Many years ago I bought both weights of smocks from Craft Supplies - and rotated wearing them both from winter thru Summer. They're good utility smocks. They still hang near the lathe. Then with a move further north, I bought a long sleeve smock from the Tool Post in the UK. Its my cold weather wear - heavy and warm with long sleeves tight at the wrists, great pockets and a padded collar. But for the rest of the year I've found the AAW Smock bought at the last Portland symposium a few years ago is my favorite of all. Lightweight and full cut it protects from shavings while almost disappearing...I got it big enough to fit a heavy sweatshirt under for winter wear.

Mick Fagan
07-24-2022, 7:37 PM
I do sweep off my socks as a broom will get most of that off, and probably change your shoes.

robo hippy

For years I've been running shorts in hot weather, always have grass cutting gaiters over the socks and tops of the shoes.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bata-khaki-overboots_p3360739

Phil Rose
07-25-2022, 11:52 AM
My go to smock is from Timberbits: https://www.timberbits.com/timberbits-smock-green.html

Yes, not in the US, but it converts favorably into USD, and ships quickly.

Jim Hipp
07-26-2022, 11:09 PM
I bought one from AAW and was disappointed to find shavings stick to it.

Michael Schuch
07-27-2022, 3:42 AM
In the summer I use a Harbor Freight welding apron. It is open back and no sleeves so not too hot.

It works well for only $15.

In the winter I use a biker leather jacket I bought at the thrift store and tossed in the washing machine because it stunk. I use the biker jacket a lot for welding. It is much better than those leather welding sleeves that always get in the way.

Ricc Havens
07-27-2022, 10:14 AM
My go to smock is from Timberbits: https://www.timberbits.com/timberbits-smock-green.html

Well bummer. They looked nice but they are out of X-large.

Karl Koch
07-27-2022, 10:22 AM
I wear a bicycle racing shirt that I got at a thrift store. There's an elastic pocket at my lower back for my phone and I find I get very little dust and shavings in it. I can zip it up at the neck and it is cooler to wear here in coastal NC.

Robert Engel
07-27-2022, 10:53 AM
Too hot for me to wear an apron.

Not an issue for me I do a quick blow off with compressed air before going back to the house.

Jay Rasmussen
07-27-2022, 1:44 PM
My wife bought me a smock made by Easy Wood Tools. Works great. I've used it for years.

Stan Pressner
07-28-2022, 9:00 PM

I love their smock as well.

Also, I bought another Vicmark 120 from them that was less than any US shop, including shipping.

Neil Strong
07-31-2022, 4:53 AM
I wear pilot overalls. Primarily worn to keep the dust out of my clothing underneath as I'm an asthmatic and have to avoid fine wood dust and mould spoors.

Pilot overalls secure tightly everywhere that fine wood dust might get in.

They also have useful things like...

2 Breast pockets
2 Hip pockets, with an extra inner pocket
2 Ankle pockets
Triple arm pen pocket
Adjustable wrist, ankle and waist tabs

In cold weather I wear thermals underneath and in summer I can get down to just my jocks underneath on the hottest days.

I like the full length zippers on them and can't think of anything else that would be better for my purposes.

You can't buy the real air force pilot overalls new, or for that matter afford them new, but they eventually go to disposal in reasonably good condition.

Stan Calow
07-31-2022, 8:39 AM
I have oversize surgical smocks from a garage sale that I wear, when I remember to put them on.

Brian Tymchak
08-01-2022, 11:37 AM
My wife bought me a smock made by Easy Wood Tools. Works great. I've used it for years.

I bought the turning smock from EWT but I'm somewhat disappointed with it. I use it for other tasks, mostly at the table saw, and chips stick to it. It also pilled without going thru a machine wash.

Brian Tymchak
08-01-2022, 11:43 AM
I bought the Lee Valley canvas apron and am not impressed with it. Chips stick to it. It seems to attract dust. But mostly the shoulder straps are hard to straighten out and keep straight when putting on over the head. It would benefit greatly from some sort of cross piece to harness the straps.

Earl McLain
08-01-2022, 2:05 PM
Smock seemed silly to me when i bought a lathe. Didn't take too long to realize i needed to cover my shirt (or take it off and shake it out before going back into the house). Picked up an unused welding jacket for cheap--worked as a covering layer, but heavy & long sleeved. Finally broke down and bought the AAW version--and as much as i dislike man-made cloth, it really sheds well. Have seen the Craft Supplies version and borrowed one once, i like it too. Hate to say it, but the dad-gummed things work!!
earl

David M Peters
08-03-2022, 3:13 PM
I've had the Easy Wood Tools smock for a number of years now. I like the lightweight construction, zipper, and back pockets. However the front pocket is large and floppy (see lightweight fabric) so your pencil usually will fall sideways and be hard to remove.

So my wife removed the front pocket (don't miss it one bit) and sewed on a small pencil pocket to the sleeve as one sees with other smocks. Such a wonderful improvement! So my advice would be to get a smock with a sleeve pencil pocket.

andy bessette
08-03-2022, 8:15 PM
My normal shop attire, polo shirt and jeans, usually does not create any particular issues with wood chips and saw dust. A quick brushoff, sometimes an air hose blast suffice. Occasionally I wear a leather woodworking apron I purchased decades ago from Woodcraft or some such. For especially dusty sanding jobs I use a Tyvek coverall.