PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new digital cam - 100-150.00

Corey Hallagan
01-22-2006, 10:59 AM
I am looking for a new digital camera. I don't want to spend alot of money. 150.00 tops. I want to get the best one for the $$ I know my last camera which will no longer work with the new PC was an Olympus that was about 150.00 worked great and was at the time a good camera with 1.5 Megapixels, when expensive cameras were at 3 MP. I know many now have much more. I just want a camera that will take decent fairly clear upclose photos for my webpage and of the items I make in the shop, mostly small items. Any suggestions?

Corey

Matt Meiser
01-22-2006, 11:09 AM
I am looking for a new digital camera. I don't want to spend alot of money. 150.00 tops. I want to get the best one for the $$ I know my last camera which will no longer work with the new PC was an Olympus that was about 150.00 worked great and was at the time a good camera with 1.5 Megapixels, when expensive cameras were at 3 MP. I know many now have much more. I just want a camera that will take decent fairly clear upclose photos for my webpage and of the items I make in the shop, mostly small items. Any suggestions?

Corey

I would watch Ebay for a private seller upgrading. You should be able to find something nice in that price range. I bought a 1.5MP camera on there recently just for my shop for about $45. I would stay away from the multitude of commercial sellers.

Joe Pelonio
01-22-2006, 3:04 PM
My sony was $189 but got it on sale for $149 (3.2MP). Don't know if they still make that model, my only regret is it has only a digital zoom, with your closeups for website you'd be well advised to have an optical zoom even if it costs a bit more.

Norman Hitt
01-23-2006, 7:34 PM
Cory, I wish I could give you a users report on the Nikon 4600 Cool-Pix I got for x-mas, but my Computer GURU hasn't gotten here to install me a USB jack so I can download pics yet.

The camera is a 4.0 Mega Pixel and has a lense type zoom, (not Digital). It seems to be real nice to operate and the pics look nice on the little screen, but the proof will only be had AFTER I get them on the PC so I can see them in full size.

I think msrp was only slightly more than your limit, so could probably be found within your budget.

Charlie Velasquez
01-23-2006, 7:43 PM
www.dealcam.com (http://www.dealcam.com) was my favorite site for comparative shopping while purchasing a camera for our school.
Several thousand people keep their eye open for deals, then contact the web site's staff who check it out.
Their sister site www.dealmac.com (http://www.dealmac.com) has this camera
http://dealmac.com/deals/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-S40-4-1-MP-3-x-Zoom-Digital-Camera-for-127-shipped/107886.html

for $127 shipped. Only a 3X optical zoom, but that should be plenty for close ups of subjects less than 20' away.

Loy Hawes
01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
This site has good reviews on lots of cameras

http://www.dpreview.com/

Lee Schierer
01-24-2006, 12:36 PM
We recently purchased a Canon A-520 and it is a great camera. It has lots of features for either fully auotmatic or completely manual photos. At 4 Mp it takes great photos. We got ours on sale from Office Depot for $189 less a couple of $20-30 rebates and a $50 gift card for joining their frequent purchaser club. I just googled it and found one place offering it for $149.00

Scott Donley
01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi Corey, I bought the same camera as Lee for my daughter for Christmas, It has been a good one to date, a couple of +'s for it are an 4X optical zoom, uses AA batteries ( although it only uses 2, can use them up fairly fast using the flash ) Seems to be a great little camera for the money. Good luck, remember, camera's are a bit like tools, you start out looking at a benchtop and can end up with something like a PM cabinet saw ! :)

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks all for your help. I ended up going to Office Max, they were out of a lot of models but I did end up getting the Kodak CC330. It seems to take pretty good pictures, better than my Olympus. It is 4.0 MP and has 5X Digital Zoom and 3X Optical Zoom, uses the same rechargeable batteries my previous camera used. I got it for 149.00, didn't want to spend anymore than that as it was going to cut into my tool money!! :)

Corey

Jerry Olexa
01-25-2006, 1:05 PM
The Canon A520 is an excellent cam for the $ at that price point. It has recd many excellent reviews from the major camera reviewers. I was ready to buy that for my Daughter for Christmas but ended up w a good deal on a Nikon 4600 (also a good cam).

Randy Meijer
01-25-2006, 7:12 PM
I got a nice little Olympus D-490-Zoom for $45 on eBay!!