PDA

View Full Version : Will a uv light darken cherry?

Mitch schiffer
07-20-2022, 12:32 PM
I am working on a project that I would like to speed up the natural darkening of cherry that happens over time. Will a uv light before I spray finish achieve the same thing as a few years of natural aging?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2022, 12:56 PM
I don't know if a UV light will do it but I was able to set a cherry project outside in direct sunlight and it darkened it quite quickly. We live in an arid area, so we don't get much rain.

Richard Coers
07-20-2022, 2:11 PM
Not as fast as having the piece sitting in direct sunlight, plus you don't have to use electricity! You can see the difference in a single day of sitting out on the driveway.

Rich Engelhardt
07-20-2022, 2:46 PM
Will a uv light before I spray finish achieve the same thing as a few years of natural aging?In my experience - no.
I tried it on a roll around kitchen cabinet I made.

Dennis Jarchow
07-20-2022, 3:23 PM
It's funny how different cherry darkens differently. I have some cherry lumber and cherry plywood I bought in March and some pieces have been sitting in my south office window since then with some painters tape in a few spots. They have barely changed at all in four months.

Greg Quenneville
07-20-2022, 4:07 PM
Dennis maybe that window has low e glass which blocks uv?

Mitch schiffer
07-20-2022, 4:16 PM
That is interesting that the uv light wouldn't work. What is it about direct sunlight that make cherry darker? I always had thought is was a result of uv exposure.

Malcolm McLeod
07-20-2022, 4:50 PM
That is interesting that the uv light wouldn't work. What is it about direct sunlight that make cherry darker? I always had thought is was a result of uv exposure.

I don't pretend to know the 'chemistry' involved, nor why a UV light would not work, but I too have placed projects in the sun to good effect. Never tried a light.

But also consider that I have cherry in my wood storage that has NEVER seen the light of day in a minimum of 40yrs. (when you include the time in my father's storage). It is now the color of b.walnut through and through - and I am positive it is cherry. I am guessing that oxygen is involved, but put emphasis on guessing.

Jim Becker
07-20-2022, 5:17 PM
The intensity from a UV lamp may not be very high for safety reasons. If it doesn't require you to wear protective eye gear, it's likely pretty weak. I just use the sun by putting the piece outside on a nice day.

Don Stephan
07-20-2022, 7:10 PM
I think baking soda solution darkens cherry quite a bit.

Stan Calow
07-20-2022, 7:26 PM
there is a whole range of wavelength that falls within the UV spectrum.

Jim Becker
07-20-2022, 8:08 PM
I think baking soda solution darkens cherry quite a bit.
There absolutely are chemical ways to darken the wood.

Mitch schiffer
07-20-2022, 8:54 PM
Thanks for the info I will use the sun instead of a light.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2022, 10:14 PM
Mitch, I did my table table over a 4 day period, rotating the table 90º each day. Good luck!

Curt Harms
07-21-2022, 6:52 AM
I've had a couple cherry boards in the basement. No natural light but did have fluorescents for 20+ years before switching to LEDs recently. The cherry boards are darker than when I got them. Whether UV or air exposure I don't know.

Curt Harms
07-21-2022, 6:53 AM
There absolutely are chemical ways to darken the wood.

I don't know about baking soda but a fairly weak solution of lye will turn cherry red instantly. Maybe follow up with baking soda to neutralize the lye? Not a chemist.

Bradley Gray
07-21-2022, 8:45 AM
I have used lye on cherry for a long time(the music stands above were treated this way). 1-2 TBS Red Devil Lye in 1/2 gallon water.

Start with 1TBS and do trials to get the shade you want.

Be sure and wait until the samples dry to evaluate the color.

Wear rubber gloves and goggles as the mix is caustic.

Not super dangerous - I have kept the same metal coffee can full of the mix for over 30 years.

Richard Coers
07-21-2022, 11:31 AM
I have used lye on cherry for a long time(the music stands above were treated this way). 1-2 TBS Red Devil Lye in 1/2 gallon water.

Start with 1TBS and do trials to get the shade you want.

Be sure and wait until the samples dry to evaluate the color.

Wear rubber gloves and goggles as the mix is caustic.

Not super dangerous - I have kept the same metal coffee can full of the mix for over 30 years.
When a hazard list of using a product includes death in it, I kind of put it in the super dangerous category. You might want to add a respirator to your PPE list. I know, it says high concentrations, but with the human factor anything is possible. "Contact with very high concentrations of sodium hydroxide can cause severe burns to the eyes, skin, digestive system or lungs, resulting in permanent damage or death. Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Repeated inhalation of sodium hydroxide vapor can lead to permanent lung damage."

Rob Luter
07-21-2022, 2:26 PM
The intensity of UV in direct sunlight is much stronger than say the UV lightbulbs you can get in the hardware store. Those can cause certain compounds to fluoresce, but aren't really that strong. If you're going to darken cherry at an accelerated rate, you need sunburn strong.

Rich Engelhardt
07-24-2022, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty sure glass blocks UV.
I know as a stupid kid, 60 years ago, when we went on vacation, my older brother and sister got to ride in the back seat and play cards.
My dad drove and would hang his left arm out the window.
My mom read the maps and hung her right arm out the window.

I was regulated to sitting in the middle of the front seat - with no air and just the blazing sun coming through the windshield.
Dad's left arm had a nice gold tan. Mom's right arm had a nice gold tan.

I looked like a fish belly. :(

Stan Calow
07-24-2022, 3:03 PM
Plain glass blocks UV-B but not UV-A. Dont know about UV-C. There's whole spectrum of UV light that effects things at different wavelengths.