PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with this Grizzly drill press?

Robert Mayer
01-22-2006, 10:45 AM
http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/jpeg288/G/G7946.jpg

This one has a telescoping head that also pivots. A resell shop around here as one and it seems to run pretty smooth. They seem really versatile but I have never seen anyone on here using one. Is there an disadvantages to this drill for woodworking?

Bart Leetch
01-22-2006, 11:11 AM
That Drill Press seems to look a lot like this one.

I've drilled up to a 5/8" hole in 1/2" plate with mine with no problem. It worked great to drill holes in the standards of my lumber rack at about 5 degrees. I have really enjoyed this drill-press it has done everything I've asked of it.

Jim Becker
01-22-2006, 3:38 PM
Radials can be quite handy for things that require a lot of compound angles, like chair-making. The downside is that they obviously have more adjustments to make to get and keep them "true" so you can drill a hole perpendicular to your material. Some of the inexpensive ones tend to flex a little based on things I've seen reported over the years. If the price is right, that could be a very nice addition to your shop.

Robert Mayer
01-22-2006, 8:39 PM
That Drill Press seems to look a lot like this one.

I've drilled up to a 5/8" hole in 1/2" plate with mine with no problem. It worked great to drill holes in the standards of my lumber rack at about 5 degrees. I have really enjoyed this drill-press it has done everything I've asked of it.

Is that a grizzly bart? It looks like one.

Allen Bookout
01-22-2006, 8:49 PM
The thing that I see wrong with all of the lower cost radial drill presses is that the spindle travel seems to be limited to 3 1/4 inches. That is not enough for me but may be enough for others. It is not enough to drill through a finished 4X4.

lou sansone
01-22-2006, 8:56 PM
The thing that I see wrong with all of the lower cost radial drill presses is that the spindle travel seems to be limited to 3 1/4 inches. That is not enough for me but may be enough for others. It is not enough to drill through a finished 4X4.

If you are looking at the RAM type presses you will have to go toward the rockwell versions, because 99% of the WT versions only had 4" of travel. There were a very few WT's with a 6" quill, but I have only seen 1. The rockwells normally have a 6" travel. That extra couple of inches is nice.
lou

Bart Leetch
01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Is that a grizzly bart? It looks like one.

Yes Robert it is.

Mike Evertsen
01-22-2006, 10:40 PM
don't have a grizzly but I have a rockwell delta radial

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/mike54/drillpress600x449.jpg

Rich Bay
01-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I have the benchtop version of this drill press - the G7945. In general it is fine.

Some of the hardware is a bit flimsy but no more than I would expect for a product of this cost.

This weekend I modified the drill stop bracket because the little metal bracket that comes with the drill press would flex very easy once set and it was making an accurate depth very tough. The modification was simply to replace the bracket with a 3/4 wood block attaced so it won't flex.

The front to back travel is nice and when coupled with a mdf table / hardwood fence is pretty handy.

I haven't really used the rotation of the head as I have only needed to do 90 degree holes. Setting the head to 90 degrees is simple using a 4 in square - not the included scale.