PDA

View Full Version : Finally...

Alden Miller
01-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I've been working on these built-ins for an eternity. I started a new job at the same time as I started these. I still have to install crown moulding. I am waiting for a 16' long board to come in at the planing mill so I can make the moulding.

-Alden

John Miliunas
01-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Youch!!! Couple 'o board feet in that project, heh? :eek: Looks great and I'm sure it will be most functional. How about some details, Alden??? :) :cool:

Chris Damato
01-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Beautiful work Alden.

Art Mulder
01-22-2006, 1:19 PM
Looks great. Hope it doesn't ever give you grief in future sofa-shopping though... (sofa's too long, etc)

thanks for sharing the photos

Tyler Howell
01-22-2006, 1:22 PM
Nice one Alden,
The new air craft carrier will help with the molding.

Jim Becker
01-22-2006, 3:32 PM
That's quite a project, Alden!! Nice job. It's a bit empty, however...but I suspect that will not be a "problem" for long!

Ron Jones near Indy
01-22-2006, 3:54 PM
Looks very nice! Another project I can't let LOML see.:)

Christopher Stahl
01-22-2006, 5:41 PM
Very nice work, indeed. I assume you have some items to fill that monster with? :)

chris

Jay Knoll
01-22-2006, 6:12 PM
Alden

That is really nice work! Thanks for the post

Jay

Tom Drake
01-23-2006, 5:55 AM
Very nice! Can you post some details? TIA

Alden Miller
01-23-2006, 9:35 AM
Ok, it's not mine. It's in a friend of a friends house. I don't have a room big enough.

It's cherry finished with a spit coat of shellac and four coats of wipe on poly. I sanded between coats with 500 grit abralon pads.

The center piece is just a hair over eight feet long. The side units are about 32" wide. I forget how tall everything is except the center unit is 28" tall.

The top of the left unit extends into the computer desk, shaker style legs for the desk with a slightly curved apron to match the upper rails on the cabinets. The keyboard tray is cherry also, they didn't want one of the ones you can just attach to the underneath. Computer cables are hidden in the back of the desk in a hinged L shaped piece that opens up to allow access to them.

The left base cabinet has one drawer and a slide out platform for a printer. The right cabinet has three drawers.

Other than that I was really worried about getting the center cabinet installed securely. Four of us lifted it into place and lot's of 2 1/2" screws are keeping it there.

-Alden

Pete Harbin
01-23-2006, 5:32 PM
That is really nice Alden. A neat design!

Pete