PDA

View Full Version : New tower = No sound

Joe Tonich
07-20-2003, 3:54 PM
Went to get a new CD Drive but ended up getting a new tower instead. Came with Windows XP. HAS to be better than Windows '98. Maybe now it won't keep freezing up or getting the "Blue Screen" all the time. :D It's the Compac Presario S4000NX. 2 questions:

1) I don't have any sound. The jack is plugged in the RED outlet. Any idea's on a fix?

2) What do I need to transfer the info. from my old tower to this one?

Any help is appreciated.

Joe

Ed Falis
07-20-2003, 8:17 PM
Joe,

Don't know what to tell you about your two questions, but XP will be WAY better than 98 in terms of reliability. I picked up a laptop not long ago with XP on it, and there was a program under the Start menu for getting settings off of another computer. You might want to check that out to see whether it gets you part of the way to where you want to go.

- Ed

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-20-2003, 8:51 PM
Went to get a new CD Drive but ended up getting a new tower instead. Came with Windows XP. HAS to be better than Windows '98. Maybe now it won't keep freezing up or getting the "Blue Screen" all the time. :D It's the Compac Presario S4000NX. 2 questions:

1) I don't have any sound. The jack is plugged in the RED outlet. Any idea's on a fix?

Any help is appreciated.

Joe
I'm no expert but on my sound card red is for the microphone and green is for my powered front speakers.

John Miliunas
07-20-2003, 9:19 PM

Any help is appreciated.

Joe

Joe, first of all, congrats on the new box! XP just plain old rocks! As for the sound, *most* audio outputs to speakers are via the green jack. Try that first.

As for the data transfer, there are many ways of doing it, but it will primarily be dictated by how much data you to transfer and how big the individual files are. If there isn't that much and the files are less than 1.4 MB in size, you can go the old fashioned route and transfer them a little at a time via floppies. That can be painfully slow. Another way is by way of of a cable (comm port to comm port) with a specific program. (Forget the name of it, as I never use it.) That's an OK way, but you have to spend more $$ on it. Probably the best and quickest way for a home user to do it, is directly in the new box itself. You'll need to pull the hard drive from the old rig, as well as pop the top on the new one. If the flat cable to the hard drive on the new one has an available hookup, then set your old hard drive jumper to "slave". Once you power up, XP will tell you it found a new drive and you'll be able to see it in Windows Explorer. Then it's just pick/choose files, then drag and drop to the new drive. If the cable configuration isn't as I described here, drop me a line and we'll figure out how they have the drives hooked up in there and make adjustments as needed.

If you choose to go the hard drive route, it really sounds more complicated than it is, so don't be afraid of it. Oh yeah, if you do go ahead and tear into it, the biggest thing you need to watch for when hooking up the second drive is the direction that you plug the ribbon cable into the drive. You'll see that on one side of the cable, the first wire has a colored (usually red) stripe on it. Make sure this end of the plug goes toward the side of the drive where you hook up the 4-pin power plug.

Good luck and drop me a line if you need any more help. :cool: