Brian Deakin
07-15-2022, 12:18 PM
Here are 3 things I enjoy more than I think I should
(1) Leaving the oven cleaner to do its job then simply wiping the oven clean
(2) Seeing the effects of electrolysis on rusty tools
(3)Finding another use for something my wife is going to put in the bin

Ron Citerone
07-15-2022, 12:40 PM
Finding a clever way to repair anything that is probably not worth the time or money saved, yet I gloat on things like that sometimes.

Having a working collection of Penn Z series spinning reels. When in OBX surf fishing in the fall people always notice the old “Greenies” and say my Dad had one like that. I always say they are one of the few items that can be functional an entire lifetime if basic maintenance is applied.

Jim Koepke
07-15-2022, 2:31 PM
Sitting in the trees behind my house enjoying a beer and the sounds of nature.

Using a restored tool that was made before my grandfather was born.

Watching the deer in my yard tending to their frolicking offspring.

jtk

Kev Williams
07-15-2022, 3:31 PM
1- Horsepower
2- Using it...
3- Not getting caught using it :D

Bill Dufour
07-15-2022, 3:44 PM

I switched to EDTA soaking because it is safer. Will not damage paint or aluminum. No chance of embrittlement. will not go beyond rust. can be left soaking for months with no cost or damage. The solution is safe to drink not hazardous waste.
Bill D.

Lee Schierer
07-15-2022, 4:44 PM

I switched to EDTA soaking because it is safer. Will not damage paint or aluminum. No chance of embrittlement. will not go beyond rust. can be left soaking for months with no cost or damage. The solution is safe to drink not hazardous waste.
Bill D.

What is EDTA soaking???

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2022, 7:16 PM
Sipping on a good Scotch ale.

Bill Dufour
07-15-2022, 7:19 PM
EDTA dissolved in tap water then soak the item. Submerged all the way if possible otherwise a high water mark will be left behind. EDTA will chelate roughly it's own weight in rust so one pound of EDTA will neutralize one pound of rust. You can use at any ratio up to and beyond a glacial solution. It does not go bad and can be left to evaporate and re add water when needed.
Evaporust is mainly EDTA with some chemicals to maintain PH.
Some health nuts eat EDTA as an anti oxidant.
Bill D

I belive this is evaporust?
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20040102344

Bruce Wrenn
07-17-2022, 9:19 PM
Bringing something back to life, be it a tool, or something else. Really enjoy fixing mowers that owners say aren't worth fixing. Usually it's the carburetor, which can be had from Ebay for less than $20. Currently restoring two rototillers, which were made in the early 1960's. One is a Merry, and the other is a Winston. Both use the same gear box and chain assembly. Apparently Winston bought parts from Merry, same as Snapper did. Need to get out hard facing rods, and touch up tines on my Troy-Bilt Horse model tiller. Fans tickle me, as most don't realize they need to be oiled. Fixed one Friday, by taking it apart, and adding a couple drops of oil to bearings. Do this twice a year to one in my shop which runs 24/7/365. Only time it shut off is power outage and to service it. Been running for over 25 years now. It was a "dumpster rescue fan, which needed some oiling. Early tomorrow (before it gets hot) going up on roof (two story) to oil roof vent fans. One fan is 25 years old, while the other is 40+ years old.

Prashun Patel
07-18-2022, 8:36 AM
A good beer or 3
A good scotch or 3
KFC original recipe
Found wood, green or reclaimed.

Myk Rian
07-18-2022, 8:42 AM
What is EDTA soaking???
What is EDTA?
I've never thought electrolysis to be dangerous. It's just washing soda and a battery charger.

Rich Engelhardt
07-18-2022, 8:50 AM
Hot pepper sauce.
Trinidad Scorpion to be exact.

Love the stuff.

Thomas Wilson
07-18-2022, 9:17 AM
Watching poison ivy wither and die after I spray it with RoundUp.

Ronald Blue
07-18-2022, 9:23 AM
The look of a fresh cut lawn complete with stripes when finished.

The smell of curing hay.

Watching and listening to the fire (wood) in the fire ring. Something about the dancing of the flames is mesmerizing.

Mike Gresham
07-18-2022, 9:53 AM
Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid is an aminopolycarboxylic acid with the formula [CH₂N₂]₂. This white, water-soluble solid is widely used to bind to iron and calcium ions. It binds these ions as a hexadentate chelating agent. EDTA is produced as several salts, notably disodium EDTA, sodium calcium edetate, and tetrasodium EDTA.

Alan Lightstone
07-18-2022, 2:28 PM
1.) Bringing something back to life (a human).
2.) A good glass of single malt scotch (not while doing #1)
3.) Also KFC Original Recipe
4.) Nathan's original Coney Island hot dogs with cole slaw on a Martin's potato roll (ahhhh.....)
5.) The Red Sox finally winning the World Series
6.) Humiliating a Ferrari owner in my Tesla Plaid (okay, I really don't do this often, but it's amazing.) And I don't do it to Lambo owners, because...
7.) Having my electric utility pay me for electricity.

Bill Dufour
07-19-2022, 12:30 AM
What is EDTA?
I've never thought electrolysis to be dangerous. It's just washing soda and a battery charger.

If you use a stainless steel electrode the liquid becomes loaded with hazardous chromium compounds. The big problem is hard steel can get brittle. Not sure if it is hydrogen embitterment or something else. I have heard of high test link chains breaking from the process. Is it safe with Aluminum or wood? Since it uses a basic solution I doubt it
I did try it on a lifting link chain hoist that was rust frozen. I do not know how bad it was under the rust but the chain broke apart at several places after it was cleaned by electrolysis. It was probably bad to begin with but not bad enough to fall apart when I put it in the mixture.
Bill D

Tom Giles
07-19-2022, 6:24 AM
1. Watching how much my dog throughly enjoys chasing a ball.

2. That moment when a fish takes the bait

3. Being out of debt

Stan Calow
07-19-2022, 10:07 AM
. . . more than I should

watching Japanese beetles die.

watching the Yankees lose. Actually no, I'll take that one back. I enjoy that every bit as much as I should.

Jim Becker
07-19-2022, 10:53 AM
Good food.

Times when folks are actually courteous with each other, even when they disagree

How my younger daughter's SO is such a good dude.

Having been able to retire at age 60.

Bernie Kopfer
07-19-2022, 11:56 AM
Finally being fully retired. Waking up with no “responsibilities “. Having a fully equipped shop. Concluding that being useful is not all its cracked up to be.

Alex Zeller
07-19-2022, 2:03 PM
Using my bulldozer. Everytime I do I wonder why I waited so long to use it. Nothing but bruit force. A rock in your way, push it out of your way. A tree you don't like, push it down and then push it out of the way. Thank god it's loud enough so people can't hear the words coming out of my mouth. It's bad enough now where if I'm in a bad mood the wife tells me to hop on it for a half hour.

dennis thompson
07-19-2022, 9:02 PM
Working with my ten year old grandson in the shop. Believe it or not, one of his favorite things to do is sanding:)

Ric Jones
07-19-2022, 9:05 PM
young teenager across street asked me about shop a few weeks ago invited him in, and he asked if he could watch, he now is playing with one of my wood lathes, kids got a nice smile, and manners, and wants to learn a whole lot more, see if i can get him hooked till he really discovers . :)

Bruce Wrenn
07-20-2022, 8:30 PM
Being retired, only working around the house till noon. Then it's hot, and I'm inside. Taking a nap between 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM

Mike Wilkins
07-20-2022, 10:38 PM
Sipping on a good whiskey and enjoying a good cigar while enjoying the cloud formations.

Robert Engel
07-21-2022, 9:18 AM
Sitting on my back porch, listening to nature, watching the birds to go the myriad feeders.

Enjoying furniture you build and actually use.

McCallums Double Cask 12yr old. In very moderate quantities!!

The first are off Tom Laughin plans, the second modified Michael Fortune garden chair.

Jim Barkelew
07-21-2022, 9:53 AM
Taking something apart before I trash/recycle it. My mother would bring me old clocks from Goodwill just so I could take them apart. Now it's washers, old chairs, mattresses, .....
Using a piece of wood I've kept for 30 years.
Burning a piece of wood I've kept for 30 years.

Jim

Rob Luter
07-21-2022, 10:15 AM
Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid is an aminopolycarboxylic acid with the formula [CH₂N₂]₂. This white, water-soluble solid is widely used to bind to iron and calcium ions. It binds these ions as a hexadentate chelating agent. EDTA is produced as several salts, notably disodium EDTA, sodium calcium edetate, and tetrasodium EDTA.

Kind of a broad brush explanation. How about a little detail? :rolleyes:

Dave Zellers
07-21-2022, 9:16 PM
Sitting on my back porch, listening to nature, watching the birds to go the myriad feeders.

The first are off Tom Laughin plans, the second modified Michael Fortune garden chair.

WOW- fantastic chairs. If I owned those, the first two would be my scotch chairs and the second two would be my bourbon chairs.

And I would never feel like I enjoyed either of them too much.

Kev Williams
07-22-2022, 1:24 PM

WOW- fantastic chairs. If I owned those, the first two would be my scotch chairs and the second two would be my bourbon chairs.

And I would never feel like I enjoyed either of them too much.
Very nice chairs indeed. All they're missing is some bent wood attached to the bottoms of the legs! :D
(Nothing more relaxing than rocking the night away!) ;)