PDA

View Full Version : Another Domino Question

Mike Congiusti
07-11-2022, 8:58 PM
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to order my DF 500 and after watching many video's I have one last question. It says you can adjust the depth of the mortise but from what I've seen the domino's are one length in all sizes. Am I missing something or do you then need to trim the pre made donino's to fit each depth of cut.

Thanks

Mike

Greg Quenneville
07-11-2022, 9:04 PM
Only in the uncommon situations where you cannot plunge at least half the length of the domino in each piece. I can’t recall what the max depth the 500 drills. It may be that you can offset a shallow slot on one piece with a deeper one on the mating piece so that you don’t have to trim the tenon stock.

Kevin Jenness
07-11-2022, 9:05 PM
There are different precut lengths in some thicknesses. The varying mortise depths allow for using the stock lengths and custom cut lengths in varying situations. For instance, making a t joint in 3/4" ply you could use a 40 mm domino with a 15mm mortise in the face of one piece and 25mm mortise in the edge of the mating piece. You can buy domino stock in 750mm lengths and cut whatever sizes you want.

Mike Congiusti
07-11-2022, 9:19 PM
OK, I think I will order some to start so I know what to do and then just make them myself.

Thanks

Mike

Greg Funk
07-12-2022, 12:57 AM
You can also buy them in long lengths and cut what you need.

Jim Becker
07-12-2022, 9:36 AM
There is less variation in the length of the small sizes of Dominos that the DF500 uses compared to the larger DF700, but there still needs to be depth flexibility to suit a given situation. Example...casework where the mortise into the face of a piece of plywood or solid stock that is only 18mm/.75" thick has to be contained so it doesn't go through, but the corresponding mortise in the "end grain" of the panel or component that will mate to that sheet of material has essentially "unlimited" depth capacity. The Domino would get offset shallower in the face mortise and deeper in the end-grain mortise.

Jim Dwight
07-16-2022, 9:27 AM
I made a little mini sled for my bandsaw just to cut my home made dominos to length. I have common lengths written on the sled. It is totally a "nothing fancy" build but I find it very handy and much safer than cutting them on my table saw or miter saw.

The depth adjustment on the tool is very easy to use and is in 5mm increments if I remember right. If you need a different depth (and I have) you can put a piece of small PVC water pipe trimmed to the right length over one of the posts of the domino to create a depth stop. I also have a bunch of plastic shims I can use to adjust the pipes length when I don't cut it exactly what I want it to be.

Jim Becker
07-16-2022, 11:08 AM
Jim, I cut them on the bandsaw, too. Since I use the larger sizes, I buy the material in the 750mm sticks and make whatever length I prefer. (I'm using a DF700) If I make any of my own Domino stock, I'll continue that practice. While to-date I've just used a miter gauge for the cuts, a small sled makes sense for the task, so I thank you for that idea and project opportunity. :D

Mike Nardini
07-16-2022, 12:01 PM
I have the following dominoes for my DF500: 20, 30, 40 and 50 mm lengths.