PDA

View Full Version : Help chipmunks in my basement

Scott Kilroy
07-10-2022, 12:00 PM
The cat is too old to go after them and they're making a mess. Anyone have ideas how to get rid of them?

Lee Schierer
07-10-2022, 12:33 PM
Three ideas:
1. A small live trap baited with peanut butter.
2.Or a rat trap baited the same way.
3. Get another younger cat

Kev Williams
07-10-2022, 12:54 PM
No idea if this would work on chipmunks but they work on me: Those smelly 'beads' you put in the washer. While they smell good, I can't wear clothes washed with them, the physical(?) aroma of that stuff is like breathing in oven cleaner to me. Dryer sheets *are supposed to* keep mice away, for the same reason-- some boaters I know tie them to their dock lines...

Paul F Franklin
07-10-2022, 1:05 PM
Search for chipmunk bucket trap for a simple way to trap them. But find out where they are getting in and take care of that or you will just get more.

Scott Kilroy
07-10-2022, 2:23 PM
...find out where they are getting in and take care of that or you will just get more.

That's the bigger problem, so much stuff is in the basement it's hard to get to the walls.

Ron Citerone
07-10-2022, 3:56 PM
That's the bigger problem, so much stuff is in the basement it's hard to get to the walls.

Sooner or later it comes down to cutting off entry points. I feel your pain!

Ralph Okonieski
07-10-2022, 6:22 PM
Lee had good suggestions with live trap or rat trap. Sunflower seeds work really well as bait also. cut 80% of the top off a 3oz bathroom cup and put the bait in the remaining bottom portion, placing it on the trip lever in the live trap. Can reuse it with new bait if successful. Peanut butter sometimes draws ants which is why I use sunflower seeds. Good luck.

Mark Rainey
07-10-2022, 8:55 PM
As Lee said, trap them. I nailed about 8 field mice, but inadvertently got a chipmunk in my yard also. I like the Victor plastic traps which are bigger than a mouse trap but smaller than the rat traps.

Myk Rian
07-11-2022, 8:21 AM
The bucket and sunflower seeds works the best. Some softies will bemoan the darned things drowning, but they aren't the ones with the problem.

Ole Anderson
07-11-2022, 9:47 AM
I use a Tomcat rat trap baited with sunflower seeds. Peanut butter by itself doesn't work. Set it next to a wall where they run. Chipmunks are dumb. I can catch three in a row with the trap set in the same location. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tomcat-Secure-Kill-Rat-Trap-0360810/205566237

Lisa Starr
07-11-2022, 12:30 PM
Put instant mashed potatoes out for them. Chipmunks love the dry potatoes, eat them and of course the potatoes then expand. Not real nice to think about, but very effective.

Scott Kilroy
07-11-2022, 12:43 PM
thanks but I think that's a little too hardcore for me.

Bill Dufour
07-11-2022, 12:53 PM
You really need to add a coma to the title of the thread. What kind of help do these squirrels need? Do they have substance abuse or emotional problems? Or do you just need to buy them pine nuts and provide water. Man, Pine nuts cost a lot, I wish they grew on trees.
Bill D.:D

https://www.facebook.com/socalsquirrel/

Scott Kilroy
07-11-2022, 1:01 PM
Point taken.

Kev Williams
07-11-2022, 8:56 PM
thanks but I think that's a little too hardcore for me.
That's why I suggested something that might keep them from coming in in the first place...

Another way to keep them from coming in, is put food and water OUT for them...
If they don't need to come in, they likely won't :)

If it works, just keep moving the food farther away from the house...

Jim Koepke
07-12-2022, 6:40 PM
You really need to add a coma to the title of the thread. What kind of help do these squirrels need? Do they have substance abuse or emotional problems? Or do you just need to buy them pine nuts and provide water. Man, Pine nuts cost a lot, I wish they grew on trees.
Bill D.:D

https://www.facebook.com/socalsquirrel/

That was also my first thought.

That's why I suggested something that might keep them from coming in in the first place...

Another way to keep them from coming in, is put food and water OUT for them...

If they don't need to come in, they likely won't :)

If it works, just keep moving the food farther away from the house...

One of my uncles tried this. It just brought more around for the "welcome wagon."

jtk

Alex Zeller
07-13-2022, 7:41 AM
My father was a bit odd. When he had problems with chipmunks getting into his house he tried to stop them but each attempt to block their access was rewarded with them making a new way to get in. Finally he took two bricks and wrapped them in aluminum foil. He used an old electrical cord with one wire going to each brick. The bricks were places just far enough apart just inside the hole they were using. They could squeeze through the gap but not without touching the foil. It worked and he didn't burn down his house. I wouldn't suggest doing it though. Reading this brought up the memory and a laugh.

Bill Dufour
07-13-2022, 10:36 AM
Alex that reminds me I used to hear adds on the radio all the time for "rat zapper". An electric rat trap, but it would send a text when it caught one etc.
Bill D.

Jim Koepke
07-13-2022, 10:58 AM
My father was a bit odd. When he had problems with chipmunks getting into his house he tried to stop them but each attempt to block their access was rewarded with them making a new way to get in. Finally he took two bricks and wrapped them in aluminum foil. He used an old electrical cord with one wire going to each brick. The bricks were places just far enough apart just inside the hole they were using. They could squeeze through the gap but not without touching the foil. It worked and he didn't burn down his house. I wouldn't suggest doing it though. Reading this brought up the memory and a laugh.

This has happened a few times in my shop:

The mouse buys the farm when it touches the grounded, metal mounting hardware and the hot side of the line. If my memory is working this has happened three times in the last twelve years.

jtk

Ronald Blue
07-13-2022, 12:58 PM

Reminds me of years ago a co-worker was having trouble with his neighbors dogs. If his kids left a toy, their boots, or anything out they would take them. He couldn't feed and water his dog because they would eat the food he put out. Being a farm boy and all I brought him an electric fence charger and explained to him how to do it. His neighbors never knew what happened but their dogs quit coming over. A boot or toy or food bowl with a hot wire on it and they let out a "yip" and ran for home with their tail tucked. After a couple weeks he gave it back to me and said problem solved. Some might think this to be cruel but it didn't do anything permanent to the dogs. The neighbors weren't interested in controlling their animals and it was an unincorporated area so no regulations. Livestock have been controlled this way for years.

Bill Dufour
07-13-2022, 3:33 PM
Jim 50/50 chance and he appears to be on the hot side of the outlet. If he was on the other side there would be no problem.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
07-13-2022, 4:35 PM
Yep.

jtk

Alex Zeller
07-14-2022, 7:37 AM
I had a dog that loved to chew things until she chewed the end of an extension cord that was plugged in.

Jack Frederick
07-14-2022, 8:40 AM
I mount traps on a piece of wood and staple several inches of cardboard to the sides. Traps are much more effective if you can control the direction of approach