PDA

View Full Version : Idx

Dave Fritz
07-08-2022, 5:34 PM
Our local hospital and clinic had a data security incident. I may have been affected. My name, clinical or treatment information, health insurance information and date of birth may have been involved. The hospital is offering free membership in IDX to all of those impacted. It seems like they have good reviews but I don't know anything about these types of services?

Typically I check my credit cards and bank activity, is that enough? I'm not sure about my SS number being in the records.

What would you do?

Jim Becker
07-08-2022, 5:42 PM
Both myself and Professor Dr. SWMBO were affected by the US Government OPM data incident a number of years ago and we have a similar monitoring service. (for life as it happens to be for the OPM break) So while I'm not familiar with IDX, I'll suggest you strongly consider the free offer to keep track of things as sometimes these data breaches do result in activity that you might not catch on your own.

Erik Loza
07-08-2022, 6:11 PM
This has happened to my wife and me several times over the years. Yes, you should take them up on that free offer. In my experience, companies like experian, idx, etc are quite secure. Besides the steps you already are taking, it would be a good time to change all your passwords and set up two-factor authentication on sites that offer it. We keep all our logins and passwords in a dedicated booklet (common on amazon). Fill out in pencil so you can erase and update. Also, do not ever store a document that contains logins/passwords in the cloud or on your devices. Only analog. Hope this helps.

Erik

John Ziebron
07-08-2022, 11:47 PM
Like Jim, I was also involved a number of years ago with the breach of government data and was offered free monitoring service that is still working for me now. So I also suggest you take the hospital's offer for that monitoring service.

Stan Calow
07-09-2022, 9:09 AM
The thing you can't check, but the services can, is when someone does a credit inquiry on you. Its surprising how often "soft" checks happen. The service notifies you and you can look and see what it was. You can check your credit cards regularly, but you can't tell if someone opens up a new card or loan using your name. You can request the free annual credit report, but the services check daily.

We were impacted by two breaches. We froze our credit after the Experian breach.

Dave Fritz
07-09-2022, 9:13 AM
Thank you all. I guess I'm an old guy now and am not up to date on current financial or other threats. Not sure when all this happened? I will sign up and take advantage of their offer.