PDA

View Full Version : Creeker visit

Russ Massery
01-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Tom Donalek stopped by to see and purchase my old 6"delta jointer. He also bought an extra drill press I had. He's just getting started in woodworking and putting a shop together. We spent the afternoon talking about woodworking, tools and machinery. BTW in the background is the kitchen project that's been taking up all my time for the last 6 months.:rolleyes: Project post to come later......;) Ok Jim do your avatar thing........

Richard Wolf
01-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey Russ, where you standing in a hole?

Richard

Russ Massery
01-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Nope, At 5'5" everybody's taller :cool:

Richard Wolf
01-21-2006, 10:15 PM
No offense, couldn't help myself. I really like your cabinets also.

Richard

Tom Donalek
01-22-2006, 1:21 AM
Yep! Those cabinets look great - maple with a great clear finish! I also got to see some of the really nice oak Arts and Crafts pieces that Russ has done. (About the height difference - my mom jokes that the real reason I exist is to get stuff down off of high shelves ;) Plus I'm missing lots of brain cells thanks to walking head-first into all sorts of things!)

The trip from Russ' place to mine with the jointer in the back of the pickup was kinda hairy - when we loaded it, it seemed pretty stable, but as we were heading to the interstate, it 'wobbled' a bit at a stop because all the weight is at the top. It worked out fine, but I was pretty 'white knuckled' most of the drive! We wrangled the stuff into my basement without any problems.

I set up the drill press and ran the jointer a bit. Russ did a great job with setting the knives - the cut is really, really smooth. (I'm not looking forward to changing the knives, but Russ recommended using the 'whale/dial gauge' device and it clearly works!) I've got a great spot where the DP fits right in, but the jointer's 'hiding space' is a bit tight - the wide mobile base makes it nice and stable, but takes up a fair amount of space in my cramped basement. But hey, I can make straight holes and make wood flat now!

I'll try to make some time to take a post some photos tomorrow!

Jim Becker
01-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Vists are always fun...and opportunities for folks to get a new avitar! This one is for you, Tom... ;)