PDA

View Full Version : We Lost a Warrior Wednesday Night

Tom Hamilton
01-21-2006, 9:23 PM
and a friend.

Wednesday night Navy Lt Commander Frank Wittwer's F18 crashed in the desert near El Centro, CA. Frank was based at Lemoore NAS, near Hanford, where we met him.

Frank, 35, leaves his wife Mendi and three children, Abby 6, Erin 4, and Jack 6 months.

Frank was an enlisted man in the Navy, selected for the Academy from the ranks, and became a Naval Aviator. He was on track for command and really wanted to be the Naval Attache to the White House in a future assignment. And he would have been.

We met Frank in Hanford, CA, where he was elected an Elder in the church where son-in-law served as Pastor, First Presbyterian, Hanford.

Frank loved his Lord, his country and his family. He and James, my SIL became friends and then soul mates. After we all moved to Houston, he and James talked almost daily. They vacationed together whenever possible, often meeting in New Mexico, kinda half way between Houston and Hanford.

Frank graduated from "Top Gun" school, and was the antithesis of the movie version. Frank was modest, sober, faithful and wise. Fun to be with, great with children and deep in his faith. He completed his MBA in 05, just as his son was born.

Frank flew the opening night of the Iraq war off the Constellation, lost radio contact and by the grace of God and his skill, dropped his bombs, did not run into another plane, found his way back to the ship safely. When he returned from his Iraq tour we all thought he was safe.

Magan, our daughter, and James are in Hanford ministering to Mendi, in their grief.

So why am I sharing this?

Because we are so fortunate to have people like Frank defending our country and raising the next generation of Americans.

And I wanted you all to know Frank so you too could appreciate him and his fellow warriors.

So, here's to Frank Wittwer and his fellow warriors.

All the best in 06, Tom, wiping the tears off the keyboard so this will get posted.

Steve Ash
01-21-2006, 9:29 PM
Tom, I thank you very much for sharing this with us. I will pray for the healing to begin for his family.

Boyd Gathwright
01-21-2006, 10:43 PM
and a friend.

Wednesday night Navy Lt Commander Frank Wittwer's F18 crashed in the desert near El Centro, CA. Frank was based at Lemoore NAS, near Hanford, where we met him.

Frank, 35, leaves his wife Mendi and three children, Abby 6, Erin 4, and Jack 6 months.

Frank was an enlisted man in the Navy, selected for the Academy from the ranks, and became a Naval Aviator. He was on track for command and really wanted to be the Naval Attache to the White House in a future assignment. And he would have been.

We met Frank in Hanford, CA, where he was elected an Elder in the church where son-in-law served as Pastor, First Presbyterian, Hanford.

Frank loved his Lord, his country and his family. He and James, my SIL became friends and then soul mates. After we all moved to Houston, he and James talked almost daily. They vacationed together whenever possible, often meeting in New Mexico, kinda half way between Houston and Hanford.

Frank graduated from "Top Gun" school, and was the antithesis of the movie version. Frank was modest, sober, faithful and wise. Fun to be with, great with children and deep in his faith. He completed his MBA in 05, just as his son was born.

Frank flew the opening night of the Iraq war off the Constellation, lost radio contact and by the grace of God and his skill, dropped his bombs, did not run into another plane, found his way back to the ship safely. When he returned from his Iraq tour we all thought he was safe.

Magan, our daughter, and James are in Hanford ministering to Mendi, in their grief.

So why am I sharing this?

Because we are so fortunate to have people like Frank defending our country and raising the next generation of Americans.

And I wanted you all to know Frank so you too could appreciate him and his fellow warriors.

So, here's to Frank Wittwer and his fellow warriors.

All the best in 06, Tom, wiping the tears off the keyboard so this will get posted.

... Thanks Tom, I agree with you. This is something that needs to be shared to be appreciated by others. I don't know the whole story myself so I can't comment on it. But, from what I have read, I am sure Frank did his best right to the end as he always has. I personally will keep his family and friends in my prayers.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Frank, his family and friends........in our thoughts and prayers here.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Godspeed Frank, and thank you for your service.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Tom,
Thanks for sharing this tragedy with us. Frank's family and friends will be in my prayers.

Frank Hagan
01-21-2006, 10:59 PM
This reminds us that those that serve do so by putting themselves in the path of danger, even if they aren't in a war zone. Freedom isn't free, its bought by the blood of patriots. It is good to be reminded of this.

Dennis Peacock
01-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Tom,

My prayers will be with Frank's family and friends during this most difficult time in their lives. My heart of THANKS goes out to Frank for all he's done for our nation.

Pete Harbin
01-21-2006, 11:22 PM
A well spoken and sweet tribute to your friend Tom. Those of us who are not now, or have ever served can never say or do enough to thank our Service Men and Women. Frank's family and friends will be in our prayers.

Thank you for sharing Frank's story with us.

Pete

Andy Hoyt
01-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Tonight, I am saying prayers for this gallant warrior and his family.

Tonight, I am saying prayers for all members of our armed services.

Tonight, I am proud that I live in a country where people like Frank Wittwer do their damnedest to protect us.

Tonight, I am proud that I (along with so many others) wore that same uniform and bore that same commitment on all our shoulders.

Tomorrow, and for all those that follow on, that pride will be what sustains me.

Martin Shupe
01-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Tonight, I am saying prayers for this gallant warrior and his family.

Tonight, I am saying prayers for all members of our armed services.

Tonight, I am proud that I live in a country where people like Frank Wittwer do their damnedest to protect us.

Tonight, I am proud that I (along with so many others) wore that same uniform and bore that same commitment on all our shoulders.

Tomorrow, and for all those that follow on, that pride will be what sustains me.

Well said, Andy. I concur. Our prayers also to Frank's family.

Vaughn McMillan
01-22-2006, 3:16 AM
Very moving tribute, Tom. My hat's off to Frank and others like him who go through extraordinary circumstances to make our lives ordinary (in a good way). His family and friends will be in my thoughts and thanks.

- Vaughn

Richard Wolf
01-22-2006, 9:18 AM
God Speed.

Richard

Jim O'Dell
01-22-2006, 9:44 AM
I also thank you for sharing a little of Frank's life with us. His family is also in my prayers. Jim.

Dave Ray
01-22-2006, 2:14 PM
Well said Tom. Sometimes I just wonder how this country keeps producing men like Frank. We hear/ read so much bad stuff. Thank God for men like Frank and all our servicemen/women. Tom, thankyou for sharing Frank's story. I pray for his family.

Chris Gregory
01-22-2006, 2:24 PM
God Speed and Tom thank you for sharing, my condolences and thoughts go out to his family and his friends.

John Miliunas
01-22-2006, 2:25 PM
Tom, thanks for sharing those wonderful thoughts.

Frank, you will not be forgotten. Thank you and Godspeed.