PDA

View Full Version : Oak nightstand

Steve Ash
01-21-2006, 9:03 PM
My wife has been asking for a nightstand for some time now, I had some materials left over from the curio that I completed just before Christmas and thought it would fit the bill just fine.

I used golden oak stain to try to closely match the oak bed, and gave it 4 coats of satin polyurethane. She is happy and I've earned some brownie points!

I'm not sure why, but she had been saving the drawer handle for a while since it belonged to her late Grandmother, so I used it to give a little extra special meaning for her. Actually there were 3 handles she has held onto, so I think I will make another identical nightstand for my side of the bed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1442.jpg

Doug Jones
01-21-2006, 9:10 PM
Nothing wrong there. Looks real good.
I like how the face frame wraps the corners of the drawer. Is that a common thing? I have not noticed it on any other pieces, or maybe I just wasn't looking that close at them.

Karl Laustrup
01-21-2006, 10:49 PM
My wife has been asking for a nightstand for some time now, I had some materials left over from the curio that I completed just before Christmas and thought it would fit the bill just fine.

I used golden oak stain to try to closely match the oak bed, and gave it 4 coats of satin polyurethane. She is happy and I've earned some brownie points!

I'm not sure why, but she had been saving the drawer handle for a while since it belonged to her late Grandmother, so I used it to give a little extra special meaning for her. Actually there were 3 handles she has held onto, so I think I will make another identical nightstand for my side of the bed.

Just verifying that this is as you said in the title.

Did you run out of ASH.:eek: :D

Sweet looking piece, Steve. And as they say "If momma is happy, everybody can be happy", or something like that. ;) :D

Karl

Tom Drake
01-22-2006, 6:13 AM
Very nice work Steve.

Brian Hale
01-22-2006, 7:19 AM
Looks Great Steve!! The double arch detail on the bottom adds a touch of elegance.

But the big question is..... What new tool was required to build this thing of beauty????

Brian :)

larry merlau
01-23-2006, 7:44 AM
Looks Great Steve!! The double arch detail on the bottom adds a touch of elegance.

But the big question is..... What new tool was required to build this thing of beauty????

Brian :)
hey brial he used his bronie points up thursday, he came home with an older model mini max shaper: stole right out in frt of me:( but that s ok i could use it i wanted to. he does nice work and likes doing things for his wonderful wife.

Steve Ash
01-23-2006, 7:48 AM
stole right out in frt of me:( but that s ok i could use it i wanted to.

Oh yeah...thanks for loading that for me Larry.

John Miliunas
01-23-2006, 8:01 AM
Lookin' real good there, Mr. Ash!!! And even better that your bride likes it. :D Now, the BIG question is: Did you get a chance to use your "new" MM in the building of that piece??? :D Nice job, Steve. :) :cool:

Steve Ash
01-23-2006, 8:12 AM
Now, the BIG question is: Did you get a chance to use your "new" MM in the building of that piece???

No, I didn't John. I had it almost completely finished by the time I bought the Mini Max....I did get to use Larry a bit on the nightstand though. He does a real nice job sanding shim pieces for the drawer slides on my belt/disc sander. You know, I'm surprised he didn't take partial credit for this project.:D

I'll be using the MM on my son's kitchen cabinets soon.....and yes Karl, they will be made out of Ash. I have about 700 b.f. that I bought from my friend in Michigans Upper Peninsula. He is a logger up there and also has a sawmill.....works great for me!

John Miliunas
01-23-2006, 8:28 AM
I have about 700 b.f. that I bought from my friend in Michigans Upper Peninsula. He is a logger up there and also has a sawmill.....works great for me!

Hey Steve, you wanna' drop some of that Ash off in the mailbox for me? I just need some 8/4, 10" by about 8' long. I just need 8 of them... :D I wonder if the USPS "Priority Flat Rate" would cover it??? :confused: :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-23-2006, 8:31 AM
Looking great Steve! The handle really looks great on the peice, the sentimental value makes it that much more special.