PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #8 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
01-21-2006, 6:44 PM
Friday 1/20/2006 Nothing happened with the house.

Saturday 1/21/2006 Yesterday afternoon we had snow. Fortunately only about an inch, but it was 12 degrees this morning. The block was scheduled for today. Would it be too cold? The forecast was for a high temp of about 35 with lots of sun.

Got to the house this morning at the same time the mason got there. He looked the job over and wondered where the mortar was. Beats me. They delivered the block, but no mortar. :( It was still pretty cold too, and the mason was concerned about doing the job with it so cold.

Once the sun got up over the trees it started warming up pretty good. He prepped the places where the new block would go and after he went and got some mortar we carried a couple of 5 gallon cans of water from the place next door so he could mix the mortar.

He started on the north wall, right by the new electrical panel, as that was in the sun. By this time I was hungry so I headed back to the rental and had some lunch.

When I got back he had the north wall done and was working on the south wall. He finished that pretty quickly and I helped him pull the blankets over the block so the mortar will cure and not freeze.

One more step is completed. Next is getting the drain tile in and back filling. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Weather is to be in the mid to upper 30's until at least mid week with no rain or snow. We are blessed.

Thanks for looking and have a good weekend.

Karl

Andy Hoyt
01-21-2006, 7:06 PM
Looks great Karl. And you have to be the luckiest winter build guy I've ever come across.

So how did you and the mason end up dealing with the bulging old block?

Karl Laustrup
01-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Looks great Karl. And you have to be the luckiest winter build guy I've ever come across.

So how did you and the mason end up dealing with the bulging old block?

Interesting and not easily answered question Andy.

The bulging block will have to be addressed at a later time. The mason, who was not prepared to rebar and fill anyway, would have been there still had he tried. All the top blocks were filled and while he tried to break the mortar free he had no luck.

A possible solution was rendered, which I will take up with the GC. More on the possible solution after it's discussed with the GC.

Karl

Vaughn McMillan
01-22-2006, 3:08 AM
Looking good, Karl. All of the appropriate phrases I learned in the construction business that would describe a contractor making such good progress would violate the TOS here. ;)

I once spent a couple cold winter months in Santa Fe inspecting a large reinforced masonry project. (The Eldorado Hotel) It's amazing how fast a good blocklayer can go when he's cold, huh?

- Vaughn

Jim O'Dell
01-22-2006, 9:46 AM
I'm enjoying the updates, Karl. Keep 'em coming! Jim.

Frank Pellow
01-22-2006, 2:29 PM
It sounds like you have a great group of workers on your project Karl. I certainly would not want to lay block (and I have layed quite a bit of it) at that temperature. I sure hope that it works out OK.

Jerry Olexa
01-25-2006, 1:13 PM
Karl going great...You're blessed to be able to do this in Wisconsin in the winter. Usually sub freeze gets in the way. Looking good

Bob Noles
01-25-2006, 1:46 PM
Karl,

You are moving right along. I love being around construction when it is going well.... but don't look for me if it is not going well :eek:

The project will get even more exciting as the weather improves over the next month or so.