PDA

View Full Version : Hide Glue Showing Under Tried and True Original

Jason Lester
06-28-2022, 8:14 PM
I've started using Tried and True Original on my post and rung chairs along with Old Brown Glue. In the past, I used BLO and Titebond Liquid Hide Glue. I've noticed that the finish is lighter around my joints now. I do scrub well with toothbrush and hot water after assembly. I really like the finish, but I need to figure out a solution for this problem. I'm not sure if it's the glue, the finish, or a combination. Any suggestions?

Mike Henderson
06-28-2022, 11:21 PM
Hide glue will certainly show under a finish. You may have to sand the areas where the hide glue was in order to remove it. Similar to what you'd have to do with PVA.

Mike

Mel Fulks
06-29-2022, 1:26 AM
I would use the ‘real stuff’ ….hot hide glue ,it sets much faster than than the “convenient “ bottled stuff made extremely slow by an additive .
Some say it is weaker than real hot hide glue.

Jim Becker
06-29-2022, 9:31 AM
Anything that prevents the oil from having even absorption is going to show...hide glue included.

Jason Lester
06-29-2022, 12:47 PM
I guess I misunderstood. I'm sure I've read multiple times that hide glue is transparent under finishes. I do try and scrub, scrape, and sand around the joints, but it's tough to get to some spots on a chair. I'm going to need to do a better job though.

Thanks, Jason

John TenEyck
06-29-2022, 12:52 PM
I guess I misunderstood. I'm sure I've read multiple times that hide glue is transparent under finishes. I do try and scrub, scrape, and sand around the joints, but it's tough to get to some spots on a chair. I'm going to need to do a better job though.

Thanks, Jason

Whether it is or isn't, anything that fills the pores will change the appearance of the finish put on top. I think that's the issue you are dealing with.

On future projects it might be helpful to mask off anything you don't want glue to get onto. I know it's a pain but it's less pain than what you are now faced with.

John

Mike Henderson
06-29-2022, 3:44 PM

Thanks, Jason

I was told the same thing. Then I started using hot hide glue and learned differently. Jim and John are right. Anything that fills the pores of the wood will show through a finish.

Mike