PDA

View Full Version : Why do I do stuff like this

Bob Cooper
06-28-2022, 7:32 PM
Cutting out a nice alder drawer box. Router cut dovetails fit nice. Just need to cut the groove for the bottom. I cut all four and then go to cutoff the back so that the bottom fits flush and as soon as I do I realize I cut the side not the back. Drawer was wider than long… but still. Arg. Stop. Put pencil down. Go inside and look at it tomorrow

No pictures are needed I don’t think.

Jim Becker
06-28-2022, 7:49 PM
https://sat02pap002files.storage.live.com/y4menGL8Gbqkm6k9aLKWfQH244gmT1IR37lqS3ECYFeJZcBR2p FFcM0N7Bje4I60aWFSfOIAgKKj3wbLGcvrO_C2B6IOv-VLRLriiic6RMxLkJEDsInx9-NFWrguytyufTqt6SfFIsrh7RlK6CRH2q9IxNVJbT8KEMGsMb8b qH3T6BAVGqNeoGJH0s8X_AfYR98?width=218&height=256&cropmode=none

Greg Quenneville
06-28-2022, 8:21 PM
We have all done things like that. Usually on the finishing touches.

Frederick Skelly
06-28-2022, 8:24 PM
Man that's a bummer. But I'm glad you stopped work for the day. Alot of accidents seem to happen when tired or frustrated.

Bruce Wrenn
06-28-2022, 8:44 PM
Blue tape is your friend. Label parts, and save a lot of misery. DAMHIK!

Doug Garson
06-28-2022, 9:20 PM
Next time you go to sign into a web page and have to prove you're not a robot just use this as your proof. :rolleyes:

Alex Zeller
06-28-2022, 9:27 PM
For me, getting really good at woodworking is not how well you can make something. It's being able to see the big picture. I often get focused on what I'm doing that moment so when I ask myself if the cut I'm about to make is right I don't always see why it's wrong. I think a part of it is really wanting to see how what I'm doing comes out as soon as possible.

Bob Cooper
06-28-2022, 11:00 PM
Its a symptom is this work at home stuff…let me go out to shop and just take care of x. Vs being in the groove. Patience.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-28-2022, 11:29 PM
I didn't do anything like that.... today. But, then again, I didn't go into the shop today! Hang tough! We all do it periodically!

Ron Citerone
06-29-2022, 7:21 AM
We all do it. I try to laugh at myself and then learn how to avoid it next time. When it comes to drawer and door parts, as well as front frames, I label all connecting ends.

John Stankus
06-29-2022, 12:58 PM
No pictures are needed I don’t think.

What’s the forum adage … “Pictures or it didn’t happen”. Since there are no pictures, This didn’t happen. You just took some extra test cuts :)

Tom M King
06-29-2022, 1:13 PM
I've always heard it called: "Getting in too big of a hurry."

Mark Hennebury
06-29-2022, 2:35 PM
In the beginning you have to learn what to do and how to do, next you have to develop a system to apply what you have learned, then you have to commit to adhering to the system and develop the discipline to do so.

Failure of any part can result in...less than optimal results.

Surgeon fined $3,000 for amputating patient's wrong legBy Allegra Goodwin and Jack Guy, CNN
Updated 12:30 PM ET, Thu December 2, 2021

The wrong leg of a patient was amputated at the Freistadt Clinic, in Austria, earlier this year.

(CNN)An Austrian (https://cnn.com/2021/05/21/health/austria-amputation-wrong-leg-scli-intl/index.html) court has fined a surgeon 2,700 euros ($3,050) for mistakenly amputating (https://cnn.com/2021/05/21/health/austria-amputation-wrong-leg-scli-intl/index.html) the wrong leg of a patient.

The 43-year-old surgeon was fined at the Linz Regional Court on Wednesday, with half of the amount suspended, "for committing grossly negligent bodily harm," Walter Eichinger, the court's vice president, told CNN.
On May 18 the surgeon, who was working at a clinic in Freistadt, "carried out an inadequate clarification with the existing medical records and the photo documentation before the operation for the planned amputation of the left thigh and thus marked the right leg for the surgical intervention," said Eichinger on Thursday.
The right thigh was then "amputated without any medical indication," added Eichinger.

Lee Schierer
06-30-2022, 3:19 AM
The good news is the two long pieces can be reworked to make the short sides and you only need new material for the long front and back. You also have two short pieces for another project or for winter firewood.

Doug Walls
06-30-2022, 8:23 AM
You also have two short pieces for another project or for winter firewood.
I've always wanted a wood burning stove/heater in the garage seeing that I seem to always have some "EXTRA" wood on-hand.
Labeling a mistake as "Extra or a Set-Up" piece helps justify the process. :rolleyes:

Doug

Alan Lightstone
06-30-2022, 8:56 AM
In the beginning you have to learn what to do and how to do, next you have to develop a system to apply what you have learned, then you have to commit to adhering to the system and develop the discipline to do so.

Failure of any part can result in...less than optimal results.

Surgeon fined $3,000 for amputating patient's wrong leg

By Allegra Goodwin and Jack Guy, CNN
Updated 12:30 PM ET, Thu December 2, 2021

The wrong leg of a patient was amputated at the Freistadt Clinic, in Austria, earlier this year.

(CNN)An Austrian (https://cnn.com/2021/05/21/health/austria-amputation-wrong-leg-scli-intl/index.html) court has fined a surgeon 2,700 euros ($3,050) for mistakenly amputating (https://cnn.com/2021/05/21/health/austria-amputation-wrong-leg-scli-intl/index.html) the wrong leg of a patient.

The 43-year-old surgeon was fined at the Linz Regional Court on Wednesday, with half of the amount suspended, "for committing grossly negligent bodily harm," Walter Eichinger, the court's vice president, told CNN.
On May 18 the surgeon, who was working at a clinic in Freistadt, "carried out an inadequate clarification with the existing medical records and the photo documentation before the operation for the planned amputation of the left thigh and thus marked the right leg for the surgical intervention," said Eichinger on Thursday.
The right thigh was then "amputated without any medical indication," added Eichinger.

Happens more often than you think. Despite safeguards, at least in this country. :eek:

That being said, I've often wanted a wood burning stove in the workshop too. For times like this when you need some extra heat. Like today at 95 degrees.

Consider this a small mistake you'll soon forget. I've done far worse (not with human limbs).

Thomas Wilson
06-30-2022, 8:59 AM
I try to mill some extra material as I go so I can replace a piece if something happens. Replacing the mistake then is less time consuming and you can feel kind of smart for planning ahead instead of being angry with yourself. The extra isn’t even wasted. I have been using the same dimension stock for drawer sides and backs or rails and stiles since the 80’s. I just save it. This strategy does not apply to human limbs.

Vince Shriver
07-06-2022, 8:33 PM
Well put Mr. Backer!

Ronald Blue
07-06-2022, 9:44 PM
What's the saying? "My projects are all one of a kind because I don't make the same mistake twice" or something similar to that. The person that never makes a mistake isn't doing anything.

Mark Hennebury
07-06-2022, 9:57 PM
What's the saying? "My projects are all one of a kind because I don't make the same mistake twice" or something similar to that. The person that never makes a mistake isn't doing anything.

The difference is, some people accept that mistakes are inevitable....some don't.

https://coresites-cdn-adm.imgix.net/outdoorsmagic/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TNF-Alex-Honnold-Climb-1.jpg?fit=crop

Michael Schuch
07-07-2022, 3:13 AM
I usually do stuff like that when I have spent a long day in the shop and "just want to finish one last thing". Overly tired = stupid mistakes.