PDA

View Full Version : I made a molding plane

Jeff Leimberger
06-26-2022, 9:26 AM
Hi,

Thought that I would post a few pics of an ogee plane that I made at a class at Roy Underhill's school in Pittsboro, NC last weekend. It was a 3 day class. Stephen Slocum taught the class. It was very well organized and Stephen did a great job. I forgot to take the corner off the outside of the fence and need to take a plane or sandpaper to the layout lines still.

I came away with a plane that looks good and functions well - and hopefully the skills to make another!

Roy will likely be closing his school after next year. Since I live close enough to commute to class, I wish that I had taken a few more over the years.

Thanks for looking.

Jim Koepke
06-26-2022, 10:05 AM
Your plane looks great Jeff.

Is the wood used oak?

jtk

Jeff Leimberger
06-26-2022, 10:09 AM
Your plane looks great Jeff.

Is the wood used oak?

jtk

Thanks Jim. It is quarter sawn European beech.

Tom M King
06-26-2022, 11:31 AM
Looks great! While reprofiling an old molding plane, I saw really quickly why European Beech was the preferred wood.

Scott Clausen
07-02-2022, 10:01 AM
Good deal! I was eyeballing that class, looks fun. I took the window sash class over Memorial day.

John Kananis
07-03-2022, 7:10 PM
Looks great! Sad to hear that the school is closing though. I'm a huge fan, met him at LN a bunch of years back and felt like he was a good person to shake hands with. I've wanted to attend a class there forever now but time... and distance. Nice plane.