PDA

View Full Version : Which miter saw blade?

Kurt Voss
01-21-2006, 4:40 PM
I have a Dewalt 12" SCMS whose blade is getting dull. I'm thinking of getting a second blade while I get the other one sharpened. Does anyone have any preferences for an aftermarket blade? I use a WWII on the TS, but $135 for a Forrest miter saw blade is a little steep.

Joe Chritz
01-21-2006, 6:00 PM
Just started using a Freud 80 tooth thin kerf chopmaster blade.

Cuts great and has less then .004 runout on my saw. 60 bucks at a local Ace hardware.

Not sure about the thin kerf but it was all they had and so far no problems with it.

Joe

Steve Clardy
01-21-2006, 6:33 PM
Same here. I have several Freud 60 tooth.

Per Swenson
01-21-2006, 6:35 PM
Hello Joe,

The saw blade on a mitre saw,or any saw

is more important then tires on a car.

Get the absolute best you can possibly afford.

I say this to avoid the inevitable "better blade debate"

With that in mind, thin kerf blades are a no-no in any

12 inch saw. When you lean the saw over for a compound cut the blade will

deflect.

I hope this helps.

Per

Steve Clardy
01-21-2006, 7:06 PM
Hello Joe,

The saw blade on a mitre saw,or any saw

is more important then tires on a car.

Get the absolute best you can possibly afford.

I say this to avoid the inevitable "better blade debate"

With that in mind, thin kerf blades are a no-no in any

12 inch saw. When you lean the saw over for a compound cut the blade will

deflect.

I hope this helps.

Per

Hmmm. Per. Out of the 8 12" miter blades I have, 7 are thin kerf.
None of mine deflect when tilted. Which brand did you have that deflected?:confused: :D :D

Walt Pater
01-21-2006, 8:48 PM
www.fstoolcorp.com.

Forrest, Shmorrest. :)

Jim Becker
01-21-2006, 8:49 PM
I thought the price of the Forrest ChopMaster was steep...until I put one on my CMS. Worth every penny and it will last for many, many years. It's also a lot more stable than the Freud thin-kerf I used to use.

Russ Massery
01-21-2006, 9:20 PM
I have the chopmaster on my 12"scms. I found a great deal on them at http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.com/category_4_Chopmaster.html Like Per said buy the best you can afford. This is great price for a great blade.

John Miliunas
01-21-2006, 9:28 PM
12" Forrest ChopMaster on my Delta CMS! Big bucks? Yes/no. Initially, yes. BUT, if the blade performs optimally, giving great results and stays sharp for a long time and has enough meat on it for numerous sharpenings thereafter, the total cost of ownership breaks down pretty quickly. :) :cool:

Mark Rios
01-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Ok, Ok....after all this talk about Forrest blades I finally had to get one (not a miter saw blade but a 10" 40 tooth WW II) and use the Amazon deal that ends tonight. My order totaled over $125 so I should have gotten $30 off but it wasn't working. I had trouble in check out with getting the discount. So I called Amazon CS and in the end, I got the WW II for $65.73.:D :D :D Thanks for the encouragement.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Brad Schmid
01-21-2006, 11:19 PM
I had a good Freud balde on my DW706 for quite a while and was fairly satisfied, then 2 yrs ago I decided to pick up a Forrest Chopmaster based on my good experience with both the Forrest WWII and Dado King. The Chopmaster gives me a better cut, and I know it lasts at least twice as long on a sharpening than the Freud.