PDA

View Full Version : It really does work!

Mark Stutz
01-21-2006, 2:24 PM
I hope that all of you experienced galoots out there can fforgive the excited ramblings of a novice. It is just so exciting to have something work the way it's supposed to. While the LOML nods and smiles, she just doesn't "really" understand!:D ;)

I think that I have mentioned that I am working on a totally Neander project, a wall cabinet for hand tools. Though this approach isn't fast, and probably not practical, it is teaching me a lot, which is the reason for the project. The back is T&G boards, but they didn't fit together.:mad: Well, a #99 works just perfectly and now they fit.:D I had been a little skeptical...how could a seemingly delicate liitle tool do the job, but it worked great.

Now I know you experienced with hand tools are just shrugging their shoulders about now, but for all you novices like me, try it. You'll like it!:D

Mike Wenzloff
01-21-2006, 3:48 PM
Yep--they do just what they are designed for! Congrats Mark. I used mine all the time for that great fit.

Just wait until you discover the other makers' versions of this great tool...can you really just have one?

btw, if you do only have the single #99, you probably will run into instances cutting long grain with prominent run out into the groove where you have tear out and need the #98 so you can cut the other direction...See? I can help justify nearly any tool purchase <g>...

Take care, Mike

Mark Stutz
01-21-2006, 6:43 PM
Never fear, Mike. The #98 is just waiting for the right time!:D But you have piqued my interest. I never knew any company other than Stanley (and LN) made these little planes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Fulton, Sargent, etc. made other "copies", though I've never seen any. PICS?

Mike Wenzloff
01-21-2006, 6:59 PM
Hi Mark,

Here's a link. Possibly the first were made by Edward Preston, later Preston and Sons was bought by Record, whoc kept making these.

http://www.antiquetools.com/perm-col/west-wing/index.html

Stanley made two types, the 98/99 and the 79. In some ways the 79 is easier to use. Stanley still makes the 79:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=PLANES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=12-079&SDesc=Side+Rebate+Plane

All together now, "Slip slidin' away..."

Take care, Mike

Mark Stutz
01-21-2006, 7:06 PM
Thanks, Mike. BTW, that's my theme song!:D This was not really a slide for me, though...more like falling off a cliff!:eek:

James Owen
01-21-2006, 8:11 PM
OK, gents, now that Mark has a #98 and a #99 in his tool box, we have to figure out a way to get any/all of the following that still may be missing from his tool kit into it: a pair of #140s, left- & right-handed edge planes, some spokeshaves, a couple of shoulder planes, a chisel plane or two, a moving filletster, a dovetail plane, etc. And that's just planes.... And then there are the saws, drills, scrapers, and other goodies..... Gotta keep him sliding.... :-)

On a more serious note, congratulations, Mark. I really like mine, and keep finding more and more things to use them for. Can't wait to see the pics of your tool cabinet when you get it finished!

James

James Mittlefehldt
01-22-2006, 9:27 AM
I know exactly how you feel Mark, over Christmas I was rip cutting some shorter pieces of Pine for a [project I was doing and finally discovered what everyone was talking about re sawing. You know don't force the saw, guide it, and it will cut easier and better, it was a true ephifany.

To make it even better I had sharpened the blade on my Veritas low angle block plane with my new water stones and I did not think it was that sharp, till I cleaned up the rip sawn edge, the first thing that struck me was the sound it made, the second was that the edge felt like it had been waxed it was that smooth. If I had had a glass of wine I would have toasted Leonard Lee.

I have a 98 but not a 99, still I guess I need one of those to eh.

Mark Stutz
01-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Jomes (Owen),
If you only knew! Seriously, Many of those are on my short list. Loml asked me one day how my tollection was coming!:eek: Collection!;) :D Just to prove that "I'm not a collector":o I've been trying to use every thing I have. Newly commisioned in my shop yesterday were the #98 and#99, a #289 for cross grain rabbets,and a 10 1/2 to deepen a rabbet.

James (Mittlefehldt),
I think you will need the 99. Going against the grain with one of these little things just doesn't work well. I actualy have the LN version. I checked prices on that online auction site for a while, and even at auction. Found one or two in the wild without a fence. With 10% off sale at Woodcraft, they were actually much cheaper.

Mark

Mike Wenzloff
01-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Mark--a 289! You are in deep <g>.

They simply work great. You can also use them to field panels as well. Think drawer bottoms with the raised panel down. Makes for a thicker drawer bottom, yet flat inside. Takes less time to do them by hand than machine set up, and return the machine to "normal" use.

Also, as an alternative for those reading who don't have and have trouble finding a 289, look for a wood moving fillester, which is what I have. One can often find them for very reasonable in the wild.

Take care, Mike

Mark Stutz
01-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi Mike,
Yea, I know! I was at an auction a few weeks ago. Most things were going for much less than I had figured. This was complete with 95% jappaning and the price was right. As an aside, it works great, though I have to learn how to freehand sharpen these skewed blades.

Mark

Tim Leo
01-22-2006, 5:22 PM
Sargent made one that went both ways...