PDA

View Full Version : Annoying spam

Lee Schierer
06-20-2022, 3:16 PM
For the past week we've been receiving supposed emails from McAfee saying our subscription is about to expire. Sometimes we get two or three per day. Today we started getting the same bogus notices from Norton. You can block the emails because every one has slightly different sender email such as news@abc.aboutyou.com, where the abc is different on every email.

Obviously we don't click on the unsubscribe or other links since we have never used either virus protection service.

Is anyone else getting these emails?

Barry McFadden
06-20-2022, 3:59 PM
I got some from Norton last year saying my subscription was about to expire. I checked my subscription status and still had about 245 days left.I called Norton to ask about it and they said it was bogus. I told them that, being an anti virus company, they should really do something about it. I haven't seen anymore so I don't know if it's starting to make the rounds again or not.

Jerome Stanek
06-20-2022, 4:54 PM
I was getting pop ups from Mcafee Norton and a couple other anti virus stating my subscription was up and to clik here to renew. I don't use any of those and had a time getting rid of them.

Kev Williams
06-20-2022, 6:54 PM
Got 2 of the McAfee ones last week, same day. I just shift-delete them along with all the other junk :)

Brian Elfert
06-20-2022, 6:57 PM
I got some from Norton last year saying my subscription was about to expire. I checked my subscription status and still had about 245 days left.I called Norton to ask about it and they said it was bogus. I told them that, being an anti virus company, they should really do something about it. I haven't seen anymore so I don't know if it's starting to make the rounds again or not.

It is pretty hard to stop someone from sending fake emails. They could go to court to stop them, but many are in countries where it would be difficult to stop them with the legal system.

Jim Becker
06-20-2022, 7:34 PM
The spam filtration system on my email provider's servers pretty much doesn't let that stuff through. They don't just go by email addresses...there are many other factors that go into spam quarantining.

Chris Schoenthal
06-20-2022, 10:23 PM
My son was the International Director for Services for a company that many large corporations use for security. I was also an IT Project Manager for almost 30 years.
Unfortunately, even clicking to open one of these emails sends a response to someone (or a group) advising that this is a "monitored email address".
This puts that email on lists for sale to other spammers.
The best action for these is to hover over the email address, which should show who it is actually sent from. However spammers are getting much more savvy and many times are able to spoof the address to appear valid.
Any emails that are suspicious in any way are best deleted without opening.
That is unless you enjoy the barrage of email attention.

Bruce Page
06-20-2022, 10:33 PM
The spam filtration system on my email provider's servers pretty much doesn't let that stuff through. They don't just go by email addresses...there are many other factors that go into spam quarantining.

Ditto for my main provider Comcast. I never see them. My secondary email, Gmail, has a very good spam filter that puts 99.9% of the spam directly into the spam folder.

John K Jordan
06-21-2022, 8:27 AM
…, Gmail, has a very good spam filter that puts 99.9% of the spam directly into the spam folder.

It’s a rare day that I see an unwanted email in Gmail on my computers. Sometimes I’ll notice one on the iPad that goes away after a bit, odd, maybe when Gmail syncs all the devices?

Another odd thing. When I look in my spam folder these days at least 95% of the emails are in the French language. I don’t speak French so they would all be wasting their bytes even if I opened the messages.

JKJ

Jim Becker
06-21-2022, 9:33 AM
Yea, gmail rarely lets anything through. The spam monitoring I mentioned is with my own domains that are hosted. The company provides Spampanel that has been remarkably effective in screening things out. Only rarely does something get through and more than half of those are identified as junk by Apple Mail. What's really eye opening is the "yuge" quantity of emails that get quarantined!

Ronald Blue
06-21-2022, 9:44 AM
The last couple weeks the McAfee spam has been abundant. Probably 15 or 20 per day. This is on my ISP email that I've had since 1994. They did an upgrade the other day so maybe that will help stop some of them. I mark them as spam every time but as was said they use a slightly different sender identity each time. I suppose if only one in 10,000 bites it was worth it to them. Ironically I have never used McAfee in my life. As several have said Gmail is extremely proficient at catching it. Very rarely does anything get through that shouldn't. I always figured that in many instances someone/someplace I signed up or ordered from got hacked and put my email out there. When I was still working my work email was only used for ordering from vendors or internal communications. Even then they managed to get the email and once in a while a spam email would come in.

Jim Becker
06-21-2022, 9:46 AM
Filtering by email address isn't all that effective these days because of email address randomization, etc. The better filtering systems also look at the content and other factors which are more telling. They do occasionally "catch" something that actually is legitimate, but that's why it's good to quickly review any quarantine report to mark those for whitelisting. These systems "learn" pretty well from that in most cases.

Kev Williams
06-21-2022, 1:42 PM
...Unfortunately, even clicking to open one of these emails sends a response to someone (or a group) advising that this is a "monitored email address".

This is one reason I still use POP email, I won't touch IMAP with an 11' pole. Might not be as convenient, but I'M the only one who knows when I open my mail...

Lee Schierer
06-21-2022, 2:32 PM
Unfortunately, even clicking to open one of these emails sends a response to someone (or a group) advising that this is a "monitored email address".

All have been deleted without opening them......

John Lifer
06-21-2022, 2:37 PM
Yes, I've got a few, my wife has been getting 10 to 30 per day. You can easily detect these are fake by the font and grammar in the heading. Spam. mark spam