PDA

View Full Version : Hi everybody!

George Conklin
01-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Well, I think it's about time to join in on all of the fun going on here, if you'll allow me, of course.

I've been a lurker for a couple of months now and feel like I know you all very well. Because of Carol and Dick, I purchased a Nova DVR. I thank you, but my bank account doesn't! It is so true when you guys talk about the "black hole" or "the dark side". I think my DVR was the cheap part of this business:cool: .

Living in the Valley of Arizona, finding wood is not an easy task, unless you can turn cactus or desert scrub! That leaves me with going to my local Woodcraft store. Everything there is dry and expensive. I'm envious of you all that have bowl blanks growing in your back yards:D .

Since I'm new to this game, I hope you folks won't mind many newbie type questions from me. I also hope to save up enough money to take a turning class from Bill Grumbine. All I need to do is stay away from my local Woodcraft store. Somehow, I don't think I'll be making that class anytime soon:rolleyes: .

George

Steve Clardy
01-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Welcome George!!
Ask away!!

John Hart
01-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Welcome welcome George. It's definitely a great place to hang out and learn new stuff. Questions are greeted with enthusiasm so give it a go. We'll have to figure out how to get you some wet wood too! ;)

Bill Stevener
01-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi George, welcome to the Creek. As you have noted and in time will even be more enlightened the initial cost of a lathe is like the down payment on a new home. That is the smallest amount of the whole.

Don't know how to help with wood in your area. I think I would invite friends from far reaches for a weekend visit. With one stipulation in mind, they must have a trunk full of useful wood. :D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Becker
01-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Welcome, George. Take a nice drive north and bring home some ponderosa pine...it's very nice to turn oil-staturated translucent bowls and vessels in the same way that folks employ norfolk island pine. (I have a piece by departing AAW president Phil Brennion from Chino Valley near Prescott that is outstanding)

George Conklin
01-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Welcome, George. Take a nice drive north and bring home some ponderosa pine...it's very nice to turn oil-staturated translucent bowls and vessels in the same way that folks employ norfolk island pine. (I have a piece by departing AAW president Phil Brennion from Chino Valley near Prescott that is outstanding)

Thanks for the idea, Jim. I didn't know pine was turnable. That area you are refering to is gorgeous! It's only a two hour drive from here. The locals call it "The Pines"

George

Jim Dunn
01-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Welcome George.
Take a longer drive north and bring home some curly maple from Canada:)

Keith Burns
01-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Double welcome :) Any questions you may have will be most graciously answered by John Hart:D

John Hart
01-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Double welcome :) Any questions you may have will be most graciously answered by John Hart:D

Yeah! And if you wait long enough...You'll get the RIGHT answer from someone else! :D

George Conklin
01-21-2006, 12:55 PM

You know? That John Hart guy has got to be the nicest guy I've never met:D . Hopefully someday I'll get to meet him in person.

George

Andy Hoyt
01-21-2006, 12:58 PM
George - Welcome from the top right corner. Another great source of turning stock is from the nice folks at Handykraft. They even have their own board right here at SMC. The staff is most helpful and courteous, prices are great, but ya gotta watch out for the manager. He's way deep into the abyss.

John Hart
01-21-2006, 1:07 PM
.....but ya gotta watch out for the manager. He's way deep into the abyss.

Hey hey HEY!! I'm not that deep deep deep. :p

Jim DeLaney
01-21-2006, 1:15 PM
...Living in the Valley of Arizona, finding wood is not an easy task, unless you can turn cactus or desert scrub!... George

Well, there's always Manzanita... ;-)

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2006, 1:20 PM
Welcome George. Nice folks here and lots of knowledge. Ask away.

Ernie Nyvall
01-21-2006, 1:29 PM
Howdy George and welcome.

Hey, I'm wondering about that desert scrub... size and what kind of wood... juniper of some sort I suspect. Anyway, if you could get the root system, I'll bet it has nice figure.

Ernie

Bob Noles
01-21-2006, 2:32 PM
George,

Welcome to the only place on the internet where you can get into more trouble than you can possibly get yourself out of :D

Good to have you with us and you are right about John being a nice guy. We are lucky to have him as well as the greatest group of turners around.

Now, which camera are you looking to purchase? :eek: We require pictures to jion the club ;)

Dick Parr
01-21-2006, 4:49 PM
George welcome to the Creek, a great bunch of people here. Like John said, if you can wait long enough you will get the right answer, most of the time:D

You will love your DVR the more you use it. It is a great little machine. Now all you need to do is post some pictures of your turnings.;)

Cecil Arnold
01-21-2006, 4:56 PM
George, welcome to the creek. Don't they have some mesquite just south of you? Great wood for turning, just hard on the hands and tools.

Corey Hallagan
01-21-2006, 7:56 PM
Welcome to the creek George!!

Corey

Mike Ramsey
01-21-2006, 8:12 PM
Welcome to the Creek George!

Clyde Rea
01-21-2006, 10:43 PM
George - I will be comming out your way in a couple of months and am willing to bring you some wood for turning. I live in Central Missouri and have some walnut, oak, cherry, cedar, elm (some of it is spalted I think), sycamore and probably some other things. This is all stuff that is headed for the fireplace so the quality may not be first classs but should be good enough to get you going. Send me your email address and we can get things coordinated.

Brad Schmid
01-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Welcome George!

Glenn Hodges
01-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Welcome George, glad to have you with us. Look for some of that ironwood now that is some pretty stuff. If you are ever in this neck of the woods I have wood that is spalting so bad I have to burn it in the wood heater in my shop. I would be glad to part with some of it to a fellow woodturner that is in a need.

George Conklin
01-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all of your offers . You guy's are great.
George

Ron Ainge
01-22-2006, 1:06 PM
George

Welcome to the creek. I would suggest that you look up the chapter of the American Association of Woodturners and go to there meetings. They usually have a mentoring class there that you would be able to take for the price of the membership. They can also be helpful in finding turning wood for you. I have lived in the Mesa area and I know there is a lot of trees in that valley that have to be removed form time to time. If you look in your local telephone book you will find a tree service close to you that may have wood you can get form them for free. They probably have to take they wood to the dump and get charged to get rid of it and normally they are very happy to have some one take some so they can save a little money. That is how I get most of the wood I turn and I have gotten so much that my wife tells me I have to much, Never I say.

Mark Singer
01-22-2006, 1:12 PM
We needed another George! Now we got a George alright!:confused:

Randy Moore
01-22-2006, 3:02 PM
George - .........I live in Central Missouri.............

Hey Clyde,

Welcome to the Creek. Where abouts in the central part of Missouri are you? MIL lives in Camdenten. There is a bunch of us getting together Feb 4, 2006, that's a saturday, for breakfast and then going to the woodworking show here in Overland Park Kansas. We would be happy to have you join us.

Again welcome to the creek.:)

Randy

Jim Dunn
01-22-2006, 3:06 PM
Yeah Clyde what Randy said!! I going to the "SHOW" too and plan to have breakfast with this bunch, if they leave their turning tools in the car:) Don't want to get stabbed in the hand with a skewchi gouge whilest reaching for the syrup.

Andy Hoyt
01-22-2006, 3:13 PM
George - you must have magical powers! You got Clyde to come out of the closet after nearly three years of registered lurking. Gotta be a record!

Clyde Rea
01-22-2006, 7:53 PM
Andy - Three years of lurking has passed while I have been fully occupied on building my house and shop. The house is essentially completed except for a bonus room above the garage. The shop is now functional but still needs to have a lot of shelves and storage area built. The shop is a basement area with a drive out garage door, heated and cooled via earth source heat pump. It is not as large as I would like but it is much larger than a lot of shops others have, it is 36 X 40 with an 8' 3" dropped ceiling. The dust collector pipes and compressed air pipes are above the dropped ceiling so it should not be too hard to keep clean.

Jim and Andy - I am located way out in the country north of Eldon. This is on the other side of the lake from Camdenton. There does not seem to be many people that do woodworking in my neck of the woods. I had thought about going to the show in KC but have so many other things stacked up to do that I will not be able to make it this year. Maybe next year, but thanks for inviting me

Steve Clardy
01-22-2006, 8:21 PM
You're about an hours drive from me Clyde.
Do you know a guy over at Barnett that has a woodmizer bandmill, and builds cabinets?
Steve

Clyde Rea
01-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Steve - I went by and met a guy in Barnett that had a Woodmiser Mill but he was trying to sell it at the time. Did not know that he built cabinets thought that he trimmed trees.

Was not aware that you lived so close. Next time you are out this way stop in and I will show you my shop.

Steve Clardy
01-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Steve - I went by and met a guy in Barnett that had a Woodmiser Mill but he was trying to sell it at the time. Did not know that he built cabinets thought that he trimmed trees.

Was not aware that you lived so close. Next time you are out this way stop in and I will show you my shop.

Will do.
Can't remember the guys name now.
I met him when I had my woodmizer. I sharpened his blades for him.
His shop was across the road from his house. Back in behind Barnett there somewhere.
Steve

Paul Douglass
01-24-2006, 11:04 AM
George - Welcome from the top right corner.

Well here is a welcome from the top left corner of the US, gee and my town name has a "Benton" in it also (Benton City) . I am fairly new on this form and have already received great advice and help. You came to the right place.