PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Tool Plunge Router Attachment?

James Farrow
01-21-2006, 11:50 AM
I have a Mastercraft Rotary Tool (I believe it's a Dremel clone) and was looking at the Dremel Multipro Plunge Router Attachment.

I need to router out some rectangular slots (2 1/2" by 1" so that the Sawtooth Hanger Hooks will fit inside) on the back of some plaques so they will be flat to the wall when hung up.

First - is the Mastercraft Rotary Tool an exact copy of the Dremel and I can be confident that the Plunge Router Attachment will fit?

If it does fit will this set up work?

The wood is maple and quite hard so am not sure the rotary tool has enough power/bite to do the job.

What router bits would I need for the rotary tool?

As this is probably all I would ever router I am looking at this inexpenve option as apposed to a more expensive solution so any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James :)

Lee DeRaud
01-21-2006, 2:53 PM
First - is the Mastercraft Rotary Tool an exact copy of the Dremel and I can be confident that the Plunge Router Attachment will fit?

If it does fit will this set up work?

The wood is maple and quite hard so am not sure the rotary tool has enough power/bite to do the job.

What router bits would I need for the rotary tool?I've never seen the Mastercraft, so I don't know if it really is a Dremel. Does it have a plastic collar behind the collet that unscrews to reveal a 1/2" diameter threaded area? If so, the Dremel stuff will probably fit. The Sears Craftsman rotaries are Dremels, the Black and Deckers are definitely not. My suggestion? Buy the attachment at Home Depot: easy to return.

I have that base on a Dremel and it works great. I use it to clean out inlay pockets after my laser is done with them. The springs are a bit too strong, I ended up taking out the one opposite the plunge lock knob...works fine with just one

Dremel makes 1/8"-shank straight router bits in 1/8" and 1/4" diameter, about $8 each at Ace Hardware. You probably need the 1/4" for your job. I know there are smaller bits, 1/16" or so: there was a guy in Woodwork magazine (I think) using them to rout grooves for 'thread' inlay on table and chair legs...I think they gave the source for them somewhere in there.

James Farrow
01-21-2006, 3:01 PM
Thanks!

I decided to get a router instead of the attachment. Not a lot of difference in price and I don't have to worry about it fitting or not.

Anyway, so "straight" router bits is what I need? These will leave a flat bottom to the slots?

Thanks,

Lee DeRaud
01-21-2006, 3:09 PM
Anyway, so "straight" router bits is what I need? These will leave a flat bottom to the slots?Flat enough for government work.:cool:

The round corners are a completely different issue.:p

James Farrow
01-21-2006, 3:20 PM
Thanks!

The rounded corners are not a problem. As long as I can get the hanger to sit flat inside the slot.

One more question - Do the straight bits drill down and sideways?

Lee DeRaud
01-21-2006, 4:01 PM
One more question - Do the straight bits drill down and sideways?Yup: they're designed for cutting grooves in wood. Most of the cutting edge is on the side, but the 'corners' are ground to allow it to be plunged into the wood surface...otherwise "plunge routers" would not be all that useful.:D

Since you bought a full-size router, you can go ahead and buy a bit the full width of the groove you need: 1/2" if I read your original post correctly.

James Farrow
01-21-2006, 4:03 PM
LOL!

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
01-21-2006, 5:49 PM
Lee, James ---
Some straight bits will drill straight into the wood; they're called plunge bits in the catalogs. Other straight bits do not plunge well. To make a non-plunge bit, the manufacturer brazes two pieces of carbide to the blank, pretty much parallel to the axis of the tool. To make a plunge bit, he must add a third piece at the tip.

James Farrow
01-21-2006, 7:39 PM
Is this it here:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46173&cat=1,46168

First One - The Carbide Up-Cut Spiral Bit?

Keith Outten
01-21-2006, 8:55 PM
James,
Nevermind the sawtooth hangers, get a keyhole router bit and you will never have to buy the metal hangers again. A keyhole bit makes the job simple and better quality as well.