PDA

View Full Version : what kind of clear plastic to use in kitchen

Randall J Cox
06-15-2022, 9:18 PM
We have an island in the kitchen and the top is made of beautiful, thick walnut. Its so nice, we don't want to use it, nor did the previous owners for 15 years. I was going to make a cutting board to place on top of it of either walnut, ash, white oak or oak to be able to use it. The wifey does not want it covered up. So maybe that leaves some sort of clear plastic. The question is what kind of plastic (probably 1/4 - 3/8" thick) can we set a hot pan on and cut on it also without damaging the plastic? Know there's lots of different kinds of plastic out there. Were looking at approx 27"x32". Thanks. Randy

Jim Becker
06-15-2022, 9:28 PM
For cutting, use cutting boards, either wood or plastic. For hot pots...always use a trivet that keeps the hot metal up off the surface. Plastic is not a good product for that.

Paul F Franklin
06-15-2022, 9:33 PM
I'm with Jim on this...you can get tempered glass trivets that will let the top show through. Some places call them tempered glass cutting boards but cutting on glass dulls knives instantly, so stick with wood or plastic for cutting, or put a silicone cutting mat down on the glass trivet when you want to cut on it.

Jonathan Jung
06-15-2022, 10:41 PM
Plastic will look crummy really quickly. Low-iron tempered glass is the best. Low-iron will be purer/clearer than standard glass. That said, all of my customers prefer wood because of how it feels. So they'd rather plan on getting it refinished some time down the road, be able to feel it with the hand, than cover it with an obstructing layer.

Randall J Cox
06-15-2022, 11:48 PM
ok, plastic is out. Low iron tempered glass huh. Can you put a hot frying pan down on it without making the glass explode from localized heat expansion? As a woodworker, I would prefer wood too but the wife doesn't want the walnut covered up. Here's a pic of island (showing up sideways unfortunately). We have a second island that is granite. Randy

Dave Sabo
06-16-2022, 8:44 AM
Time for a new wife :D

Seriously though. How would one not cover up the countertop and still protect it ? Glass will dull your knives in short order.

Use a cutting board when needed and put it away when finished. You could also buy/make a drawer that has a maple cutting board built in that you’d pull out when needed. I assume that island has a top drawer in it.

Ed Aumiller
06-16-2022, 8:52 AM
Get1/4" thick glass... make a few small cutting boards (6"x6" or 8"x8") to set your hot pans on...
Made daughter cherry bedroom set and put 1/4 glass on chest & dresser as she likes to burn incense...

Bradley Gray
06-16-2022, 9:30 AM
I would use it as is and refinish when necessary. 2 inch thick gives you a lot to work with.

Hot pans on glass - what could possibly go wrong?

Jim Becker
06-16-2022, 9:38 AM
I use silicone trivets for hot pans, but I have stone counters.

This is one of those things where one really does have to choose between the visual and the practical, IMHO. And if these things are only on the counter when in actual use, the wood is always fully visible at other times.

Frank Pratt
06-16-2022, 9:44 AM
Plastic will look crappy right from the word go and go down hill from there. Just use cutting boards and trivets and don't let messes sit for long. I've done 3 wood or bamboo countertops with undermount sinks and years later they all look great. So go ahead, use and enjoy it.

Frank Pratt
06-16-2022, 9:47 AM
Glass will take a real beating on a kitchen counter. I wouldn't use it.

Richard Coers
06-16-2022, 12:22 PM
I was thinking a roll of flexible clear silicone cutting mat. Did a quick Google, but didn't see anyone selling a bulk roll.

Ty wayne
06-16-2022, 12:44 PM
I agree with the others to use and refinish when needed. Sounds like it’s not an option though, so my vote would be to build a few cutting boards and trivets like others mentioned. Best of luck with your decision.

Derek Cohen
06-16-2022, 1:18 PM
Make a Walnut cutting board with a colour/figure match as close as possible to the counter top. You really do not want to be cutting onto anything other than wood or hard plastic (and the latter is not a good match). If you cannot match the Walnut, then make an endgrain Walnut board. This is not to dominate the counter top, but seen as an accessory.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Randall J Cox
06-16-2022, 1:44 PM
Think I have ruled out glass also, not practical. Talked at length with wife, think I will make a larger walnut cutting board that sets on top with silicone feet. Still will be lots of countertop to see and also have a place to set hot pans and cut on. Won't finish it, will use mineral oil though to bring out some of the grain of the walnut, otherwise it will look kinda washed out I think. As Derek said, hopefully will look like an accessory and not dominate the top. Thanks for all the input, I know there's lots of wise counsel on this forum. Randy

Brad Schmid
06-16-2022, 3:28 PM
Like many of the others, I use cutting boards and trivets to protect the walnut countertops.
Our kitchen has both walnut and granite, so many times it's just easiest to put the hot stuff directly on the granite countertops and simply avoid the walnut, but we also "recycled" random scraps of granite from the original install several years ago to make trivets for on the walnut... Many countertop installers are happy to give away their small scrap from other jobs too...
Wooden feet with felt pads, bonded to the underside of any shape can be a complimentary look. They make nice cheese/Charcuterie boards too. example here is roughly 8"x12"...

PS. dull the edges of the broken granite by tapping with a small hammer (DAMHIKT :D)

Dave Sabo
06-17-2022, 10:48 AM
I have some questions for the group - are you in the habit of putting hot pots and pans on your countertops ?

Who taught you or advocated doing this ?
How long have you been doing it ?
What type of top(s) do you have ?

I know of few countertop materials that will handle this , even fewer that will survive and not have their appearance altered. I’m guessing most of you grew up with laminate tops and hot stuff on them is a definite no-no. Same with corian - if you’re a bit younger and more well to do.

Derek Meyer
06-17-2022, 4:15 PM
I have laminate countertops in my kitchen, so we can't put hot pans on them. I went and bought several 12" granite tiles that we use to put hot items on. We have one on either side of the stove plus a couple of others around the kitchen. My wife got a big wood cutting board (16" x 24") that she uses for prep, and we have other wood and plastic boards that we use as needed. The countertops still look pretty good after almost 20 years.

Derek Cohen
06-17-2022, 8:28 PM
We have a granite counter top …

https://i.postimg.cc/RF9y4tMS/A0-A2439-F-625-D-4-BEF-B50-C-B53-C5230-C141.png

When it comes to hot pots on the counter top, we use magnetic rubber “Gunstig” holder from Ikea …
https://sawmillcreek.org/blob:https://sawmillcreek.org/4ad52ffe-3af5-47f1-bcd4-ccaee6b545ce

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/ikea-365-gunstig-pot-stand-magnetic-red-dark-grey-30175277/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=free_google_shopping_clicks_Cooking&gbraid=0AAAAAC-3Go-38qO9CbisUewgjwSpq0yXM&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzLCVBhD3ARIsAPKYTcTJw-ZcsFtoJgErYfGxS-br02I-2NFMwV_AYbsrfzEQqY2LSZzyJ2kaApJgEALw_wcB

They are very effective in protecting the surface and disappear under the pot.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Drew
06-19-2022, 12:46 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to make a nice, multi-species, end grain cutting board and keep in on the counter top.....

Jonathan Jung
06-24-2022, 12:10 AM
We regularly put boiling hot pans on our wood countertop which is finished with Osmo 3054. Much much better than mineral oil.

Keith Outten
06-26-2022, 9:06 AM
Solid Surface cutting boards are an option for some people and are available in a variety of colors. Any shape or size and all you need is a router to make them yourself.

Rob Sack
06-26-2022, 11:33 AM
Make a Walnut cutting board with a colour/figure match as close as possible to the counter top. You really do not want to be cutting onto anything other than wood or hard plastic (and the latter is not a good match). If you cannot match the Walnut, then make an endgrain Walnut board. This is not to dominate the counter top, but seen as an accessory.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, Using plastic as a cutting board is not a good idea. Evidently, once used, the cuts left when using a plastic cutting board will harbor bacteria more than the cuts left when using a wooden cutting board.

Derek Cohen
06-26-2022, 12:35 PM
Rob, I looked up plastic, and you are correct. Safest boards are glass and granite, both non-porous. Most practical (and safe) is wood ... but watch the finishes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Becker
06-26-2022, 8:09 PM
In the home we have the option to use wood or plastic for cutting boards that meat, etc., goes on. Commercial kitchens don't have that ability due to cleaning/disinfection rules that aren't friendly to wood boards. Personally, I do use "plastic" for cutting meats and they can go in the dishwasher. Everything else...end-grain wood makes me happy.

Curt Harms
06-27-2022, 8:23 AM
I have some questions for the group - are you in the habit of putting hot pots and pans on your countertops ?

Who taught you or advocated doing this ?
How long have you been doing it ?
What type of top(s) do you have ?

I know of few countertop materials that will handle this , even fewer that will survive and not have their appearance altered. I’m guessing most of you grew up with laminate tops and hot stuff on them is a definite no-no. Same with corian - if you’re a bit younger and more well to do.

I've seen pictures of solid surface counter tops with stone tiles let into them. The stone is just higher than the counter top -maybe 1/16" or so. There's your place for hot pots. Wood moves and stone doesn't so there'd be some creativity required.
As far as needing to be well-to-do for solid surface, maybe not (https://www.solidsurface.com/). Still more than laminate probably but it'll last a lifetime or until you get tired of it. The stuff is not tricky to work I don't think. DuPont has some fabrication info at: https://www.corian.com/-documentation-#technicalliterature. I'd imagine other solid surface materials are similar. Sorry for the hijack.

Dave Sabo
06-27-2022, 9:12 AM
I've seen pictures of solid surface counter tops with stone tiles let into them. The stone is just higher than the counter top -maybe 1/16" or so. There's your place for hot pots. Wood moves and stone doesn't so there'd be some creativity required.
As far as needing to be well-to-do for solid surface, maybe not (https://www.solidsurface.com/). Still more than laminate probably but it'll last a lifetime or until you get tired of it. The stuff is not tricky to work I don't think. DuPont has some fabrication info at: https://www.corian.com/-documentation-#technicalliterature. I'd imagine other solid surface materials are similar. Sorry for the hijack.

Wasn’t really very clear - my working theory is that the older crowd here was not taught to cut on or put hot pots directly on their countertops growing up in the 50’s -60-70’s- 80’s . The vast majority of those were laminate. When corian first came out , you were “well off” if you got that for your kitchen tops - and you were instructed not to put hot pots on that either.

Phillip Mitchell
06-27-2022, 10:30 AM
Do not use a glass cutting board. This will ruin the edges on your knives. I can’t understand initially who said this was a good idea for a *cutting* board and why it would persist.

The obvious solution to me seems to be to make a matching walnut cutting board the size you need and put it away if you really don’t want to see it when not in use.

Use trivets for hot pots and pans. Again, not sure who initially started saying this was something you should do, even in granite, etc but seems like a no brainer to use trivets that isolate the hot pots and pans.

Keith Outten
06-27-2022, 10:37 AM
Solid surface material is not a soft plastic which would not be an acceptable material for a cutting board.
I have made hundreds of Corian cutting boards and not had one complaint, in fact people enjoy using them and they are dishwasher safe.
Bacteria is not a concern.
You can purchase small pieces of solid surface material on the Internet at very affordable prices.

Dave Sabo
06-27-2022, 8:20 PM
Solid surface material is not a soft plastic which would not be an acceptable material for a cutting board.
I have made hundreds of Corian cutting boards and not had one complaint, in fact people enjoy using them and they are dishwasher safe.
Bacteria is not a concern.
You can purchase small pieces of solid surface material on the Internet at very affordable prices.

How about doing a test for us ?

Take your best, sharpest chisels and run their edges along a piece of corian you have lying about. Make a few chops with them for good measure too.

Then take them to a piece of wood for a test drive and report back to us. Please be very careful though.

Pat Germain
06-28-2022, 11:37 AM
I will likely get flamed for saying so, but I say use the walnut countertop! Sure, use a cutting board. But if you cut or scuff the walnut, so what? You're a woodworker. If it starts looking rough, temporarily remove it, sand it down, refinish it and reinstall it. Life is short. Enjoy what you have while you have it. Remember Erma Bombeck's essay? If not, it's a good read:

Someone asked me the other day if I had my life to live over would I change anything.My answer was no, but then I thought about it and changed my mind.

If I had my life to live over again I would have waxed less and listened more.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy and complaining about the shadow over my feet, I’d have cherished every minute of it and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was to be my only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten popcorn in the “good” living room and worried less about the dirt when you lit the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would have burnt the pink candle that was sculptured like a rose before it melted while being stored.

I would have sat cross-legged on the lawn with my children and never worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television … and more while watching real life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband which I took for granted.

I would have eaten less cottage cheese and more ice cream.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick, instead of pretending the Earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren’t there for a day.

I would never have bought ANYTHING just because it was practical/wouldn’t show soil/ guaranteed to last a lifetime.

When my child kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, “Later. Now, go get washed up for dinner.”

There would have been more I love yous … more I’m sorrys … more I’m listenings … but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute of it … look at it and really see it … try it on … live it … exhaust it … and never give that minute back until there was nothing left of it.

Keith Outten
06-28-2022, 5:03 PM
How about doing a test for us ?

Take your best, sharpest chisels and run their edges along a piece of corian you have lying about. Make a few chops with them for good measure too.

Then take them to a piece of wood for a test drive and report back to us. Please be very careful though.

Dave, I don't think that I have a chisel that is as sharp as you guys prefer them to be so my test wouldn't be a valuable comparison :)
I do have a Lansky knife sharpener that suits my requirement for knife sharpening but I don't feel the need to get them razor sharp. I still have the Big Buck knife that I carried daily for over ten years when I was a radiographer cutting tape and plenty of lead numbers and letters every shift when I wore a hard hat.
Good steel that is appropriately sharp I think would be a good test that represents most kitchen requirements but not all. Better yet I can just ask our server administrator Aaron Koehl how he feels about his Corian cutting board, he has been using one for many years. Aaron is not your average cook, he is closer to being a Chef and is very particular about his kitchen prep knives.

FWIW I never participate in any of the sharpening threads here, I am a major novice when it comes to sharpening so my opinion would naturally be near the bottom of the expertise pile but I do appreciate the time people spend sharing their very high levels of knowledge.

Halgeir Wold
06-28-2022, 5:22 PM
As for cutting boards, most woods are aseptic, - i.e. inhibiting bacteria growth, but not antiseptic, meaning killing bacteria...

Dave Sabo
07-02-2022, 7:37 AM
Dave, I don't think that I have a chisel that is as sharp as you guys prefer them to be so my test wouldn't be a valuable comparison :)
I do have a Lansky knife sharpener that suits my requirement for knife sharpening but I don't feel the need to get them razor sharp. I still have the Big Buck knife that I carried daily for over ten years when I was a radiographer cutting tape and plenty of lead numbers and letters every shift when I wore a hard hat.
Good steel that is appropriately sharp I think would be a good test that represents most kitchen requirements but not all. Better yet I can just ask our server administrator Aaron Koehl how he feels about his Corian cutting board, he has been using one for many years. Aaron is not your average cook, he is closer to being a Chef and is very particular about his kitchen prep knives.

FWIW I never participate in any of the sharpening threads here, I am a major novice when it comes to sharpening so my opinion would naturally be near the bottom of the expertise pile but I do appreciate the time people spend sharing their very high levels of knowledge.

If you have a sharp chisel - that’d be good enough. Doesn’t really matter if it’s honed with an Arkansas stone or latest micro diamond emulsion paste. AK’s thoughts would be interesting too.

Randall J Cox
07-02-2022, 10:48 AM
I ended up making a large walnut cutting board (not in pics) with nice soft clear flexible feet. Now that it sits on the wooden counter top, I know the countertop is not walnut but some sort of really beautiful and probably expensive wood. Any ideas what kind of wood it is. Sorry pics sideways. Tx. Randy

Randall J Cox
07-03-2022, 3:24 PM
Any guesses as to counter top wood? Randy