PDA

View Full Version : tip: getting glue into small cracks, dental picks

Bill Dufour
06-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Lee posted about using dental floss to get glue into a small crack. I saw that idea and realized the little dental picks would work well for that. They look like little christmas trees so they would act like a tiny brush. Smaller then a toothpick
Dental floss, the teflon kind, also works well as valve stem packing.
Bill D.

Lee Schierer
06-11-2022, 12:45 PM
You can also use a shop vac to get glue into cracks. Apply a generous amount of glue to the top of the crack on one side of the board. Turn on the shop vac and hold the nozzle close to the crack on the opposite side. Work the suction back and forth along the length of the crack.

Mike Henderson
06-11-2022, 4:39 PM
For cracks that don't go through the board, I've used my air hose. You have to be very careful - if the use full air volume, you'll blow glue all over the place. But if you're careful, you can force the glue down into the crack.

Mike

Tom Bain
06-11-2022, 9:16 PM
I often use an allergy syringe to inject the glue into small cracks. It takes some time and patience to fill the syringe with glue, but can get glue into some pretty tight areas.

Bill Dufour
06-11-2022, 10:15 PM
I have a old dental amalgum packer I tried to use for wood putty. Took forever to load and hold a tiny amount.
Bill D

Doug Garson
06-11-2022, 11:27 PM
For cracks that don't go through the board, I've used my air hose. You have to be very careful - if the use full air volume, you'll blow glue all over the place. But if you're careful, you can force the glue down into the crack.

Mike
Might be better to just use a straw and your breath to push the glue into the crack, easier to control than an air hose. I also find a toothpick helps push the glue into a crack.