PDA

View Full Version : Saw this gem at the curb up the street...

Jim Becker
06-10-2022, 8:00 PM
...and no, I didn't bring it home. But it was interesting to see as it's not common for tools to be put to the curb around here. Clearly, you're not going to cut full sheets of plywood without a whole bunch of extra support. LOL Vintage Craftsman; cast iron web top. both the fence and the miter gauge were stout.

Maurice Mcmurry
06-10-2022, 9:11 PM
Whats the address? The ones in my shed are lonely for another.

Bill Dufour
06-10-2022, 9:53 PM
Interesting to see that they expanded the base to make it less likely to tip over. The base looks to me like they add ballast to add more weight. Probably cans of nails and screws or bricks.
Bill D

Jonathan Jung
06-10-2022, 10:56 PM
That's funny, my shop neighbor just offered me one just like that. I thought about parking it next to my Sawstop for giggles, but told her instead to put it in her garage sale.

Lisa Starr
06-11-2022, 7:05 AM
Don't be so quick to discount the value of that old Craftsman! I had one, with the extensions and fence system removed, in my shop for quite some time. It was setup for dedicated box joint cutting and I enjoyed having it. I only let it go when I obtained a Wood Rat router system.

Lee Schierer
06-11-2022, 7:21 AM
The guy probably got tired of picking it up every time he tried to break down a sheet of plywood. The CG is so close to tipping point.

Maurice Mcmurry
06-11-2022, 8:57 AM
A little old saw that is dedicated to a particular task can be helpful if you have the space. We had a stripped down saw dedicated to cutting a 1/4 inch slot and another for 3/8. I keep an old Montgomery Ward saw with a thin, smooth, 7 1/4 inch blade and zero clearance plate for making small parts and veneer strips.

Jim Becker
06-11-2022, 10:08 AM
I suspect it's at the curve because there are a lot of folks in this general area at that point in the "age cycle" that they are ready to downsize, etc. This address had another tool out there with the saw that someone apparently did pick up but I never had the chance to identify it.

Lisa, I don't disagree with you, but I honestly don't have a use or the desire to restore something like that. I'm uber-cramped as it is until the new shop building goes up and is completed (build date is currently second week of September :( )

Maurice, 18901

Lisa Starr
06-11-2022, 10:24 AM
Jim, I totally get it, and did send it down the road when a tool that offered more, for less sq. feet appeared. Just saying they have a value to the right person.

Scott Clausen
06-11-2022, 10:31 AM
I found a stand, the kind with the splayed leg from an old craftsman, on my way home from a run. I added some ply to the top and put a ply cart under it. It now holds my drill press on top and pancake compressor on the bottom.

Bill Dufour
06-11-2022, 10:51 AM
It would make a nice mailbox or bird bath support.
It reminds me of a Agatha Christy story. Someone had disappeared years ago. The heroine of the story noticed a particular type of vine growing in the back yard of the missing man. She told the police that vine was only planted to hide something. Sure enough the body was fertilizing the vine.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
06-11-2022, 11:22 AM
This look like the same base. The bandsaw on top makes it even more tippy.
Bill D.

Wes Grass
06-11-2022, 8:28 PM
I had an 8 inch a friend found for me on CL. He even went and picked it up. And it fell over the side of the bed of his Ranger in the last turn he made to his house. Tie-down came loose. Punched a hole in the outside of the bed. Said I didn't owe him anything for it, I paid him anyway. A lot of beat up stuff on it. It sat ... and sat ... and I finally tossed it in the scrap metal bin at the transfer station.

I found out later they're actually worth something ...

Had a 4 inch jointer with it as well ...

Jim Becker
06-11-2022, 8:33 PM
Someone did grab it between yesterday and today.

Mel Fulks
06-11-2022, 9:17 PM
Looks like someone’s creative mail-box. Bringing it home could be the ticket to a few years of of “all expenses paid” Federal housing.

Jim Becker
06-12-2022, 9:42 AM
Looks like someone’s creative mail-box. Bringing it home could be the ticket to a few years of of “all expenses paid” Federal housing.

Very weird...I had the same thought! At least about the mailbox idea. Not sure about the rest of your comment, however.

Alex Zeller
06-12-2022, 12:40 PM
I've seen plenty of them on Craig's list. I don't think they sell very well because most people want new. After all a table saw with a cast aluminum table and lots of plastic must be better than a heavy old cast iron one.

glenn bradley
06-12-2022, 1:02 PM
I've seen plenty of them on Craig's list. I don't think they sell very well because most people want new. After all a table saw with a cast aluminum table and lots of plastic must be better than a heavy old cast iron one.

LOL. Gramp's saw still lives :D.

Maurice Mcmurry
06-17-2022, 9:03 AM
Whats the address? The ones in my shed are lonely for another.

I brought this stuff home yesterday. I really do need to be more careful about what I wish for. I also need to work on the new me. A new me who could be OK with this kind of stuff going to the landfill.

481084 481085

Jim Becker
06-17-2022, 9:05 AM
Nice looking find, Maurice!

Maurice Mcmurry
06-17-2022, 11:45 AM
Nice looking find, Maurice!

I do not really want some of it. Accumulating stuff can be dysfunctional. One of my clients is bringing a mid century kit house back to all original. She hired me yesterday to remove vintage items from her late Father-in-law's old house to reuse on hers. The house is full, literally, with all of the belongings of a man who lived to be 95. The trustee of the estate opened the house for 1 day, yesterday, for the heirs to get what they wanted before it will be demolished. It was a weird day.

Jim Becker
06-17-2022, 12:50 PM
I can only imagine what was in that house!!

At any rate, it looks like you did get a saw that might be able to be setup and either used or resold...in your "copious free time", of course. :). I know I have a lot of that. Not!

Maurice Mcmurry
06-17-2022, 2:11 PM
I can only imagine what was in that house!!

It was depressing. There is still a pick up load of tools. Apparently the upright grand piano will go to the dump. It has real Ivory and Ebony. I do not know the rules for recycling Ivory.

Jim Becker
06-17-2022, 5:09 PM
The ivory that exists on old pianos, etc, should be kewel to recycle...

Rod Sheridan
06-19-2022, 10:57 AM
That’s good to hear.

A couple of years ago I was driving down my street and noticed something in the grass at the curb.

On the way home I stopped, sure enough it was a 4 wheel stock feeder, with a broken casting…….Rod

Thomas L Carpenter
06-20-2022, 11:37 AM
My father had one but put it on an old modified treadle sowing machine base. I used it for years and it was as solid as a rock. The base with an oval table top now sits on by back porch.

John TenEyck
06-20-2022, 2:09 PM
I knew a guy who made a good living for 50 years using a saw like that. His tool overhead was pretty much zero.

John