PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Business trip to Omaha

Ned Bulken
01-21-2006, 3:14 AM
Any Creekers out near Omaha NE? I"ll be out there for two weeks the end of February, and will have some evenings and a weekend to kill (that i know of) while going for training at the new Job. Any places of interest or of note I should see, restaurants, etc...? TIA, and looking forward to meeting for coffee etc... if anyone is up for that too!

Norman Hitt
01-21-2006, 3:28 AM
Ned, first let me add my congratulations on the new job, and forthcoming new shop. I don't know what all your interests are, but when I used to fly up there, my co-pilot and I always made a trip out to the Botanical gardens which had a Fantastic zoo. We could literally spend a couple of hours watching the "Snow Monkeys" doing their antics and diving in the pond and swimming underwater, and stealing anything Green than another monkey would find. They also had a little train that you could ride around the zoo and it went by a very large open area with several beautiful tigers in a natural habitat setting.

Another attraction (that I assume is still there), is the SAC museum (if you like anything about airplanes and aviation) and they had a fantastic assortment of Military aircraft from over the years on display outside on a parking ramp adjacent to the Museum bldg.

Royce Meritt
01-23-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm not from Omaha but get there once in a while. There are 2 woodworking stores to check out.

Hardwood Heaven, 3619 South 138th Street

Midwest Woodworkers, 14605 Wright St

These 2 stores are actually pretty close together and are good places to kill a couple of hours.

The BEST pizza in town is:
Big Freds Pizza Garden, 1101 S 119th St (That is is you can stand the Cornhusker fans!)

Ned Bulken
01-24-2006, 5:45 AM
Oh I can 'deal' with rabid sports fans, trust me. I'm a former pro photographer who dealt with the college crowd for nearly a decade. I learned early on to blend in regarding sports. The students would ask who I liked in the next game etc... and I always said 'The Potsdam Bears' ( a tiny div III school which almost noone could have heard of), they looked confused and laughed it off.