PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas about how to complete this project...

Wade Lippman
06-09-2022, 10:01 PM
Nearly everything in my house is Mackenzie Childs white and blue check. I don't much care for it, but my wife is a fanatic.
I wondered what I could do to make a cutting board.
I cut 8 pieces of maple, cut them all for 4mm dominos, put them together, held them with clamps and bleached the heck out of them. I then dyed 4 of them with RIT fabric dye. After putting them together alternately and gluing them, I cut them up into 8 pieces. Put in more dominos and glued them up again.
The result is below. It is not perfectly flat; there are a few 64th ridges here and there, but I obviously can't sand it flat. It won't really work as a cutting board, but as a decorative item it is flat enough.
I have no idea what to do with the raw edges. I can't joint them as 2 of them are end grain, but I can probably get them flat enough by sanding. But they will still be raw. Stripes of wood probably won't work as they are 12" and that is a lot of expansion difference. Would veneer work? It too wide for iron on, but I just glue veneer on.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Frankly I didn't think I would make it this far, so I didn't work it out before hand. I didn't think the bleach would work this well, I didn't think I could get it this flat, and I didn't think the dye would be so good.480564

Bryan Hall
06-10-2022, 1:43 AM
I've been asked to make a few boards with different colored stained squares. Props to you for trying! I always say no. I trim the sides on the table saw so they are straight and flush with a quick hand sanding to finish. If you really don't want the end grain showing you could build a frame, but it needs to float to allow expansion. I don't think I'd trust a veneer.

Most chess players I built for didn't mind end grain. They just want the corners of every square perfectly aligned.