PDA

View Full Version : A New Style Shooting Board

John TenEyck
06-09-2022, 11:11 AM
Though primarily a power tool user I do use a shooting board sometimes and have built and used two or three over the years. They are fine for what they do, but if you want to shoot some angle besides 90 or 45° you had to make a new fence, or add a shim. After I bought a CNC a few months ago I figured out how make a shooting board that allows you to easily shoot any miter angle from 90 to less than 45°, on either side of the board. It looks similar to most shooting boards at 90°.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUD64lXxwBqdA6g-dg6p-BZ4Yq3sJrqzCCFd3ygXqgYi7pYda_pGjh4xUkgRpB1Yb1h_Gp6 z8972pq2-_dcztpSOXvN1N61YEqYsVevduGSByDbJK0tyOuA-bYEKiinC78h37HMcFMfA6RpLbSxI7ozxg=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1
But there is a unique pivot system and bearing that allow the pivot stop to rotate to any angle, and when it does the edge of stop remains exactly at the edge of that side of the shooting board.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWDE79zvpdJKMSMh9deKoBna6MvelMgLub092mVyw6zt9Bly kTRYevwzdN7HaNYqdd7xr8zPzMU4gWSrzHH8gDdXTJ2xnLZYrk 8K_ifswJ2NKoPBuFGJO1bHPW_2Refnjjj5tKGvzH52owvzBzBs RtnDQ=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWRpdktcwdpxAJ3TSJhZWTLk0JGYKkkWVBJ3pOentc66k5WD hy8WburdRdCB4vOqYASA5Su1wHfNIeIBdtLkZNKXlBbF4lP6-nxxFOI4yEnH901sRlKOZf4uPu3USOFReztGxZ5rHoEm77eFVum dNGMEw=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1

There are replaceable and adjustable stops on the front of the pivot stop so you can adjust them for wear and replace when necessary.

An add-on bevel kit provides an additional pivot stop and 45° bevel ramp that allows you to shoot bevels from any miter angle from 90 to less than 45°.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWv4gYJW5ztE_NQqxGhdATAOnHYIdpUxlzKJ8kzmV2vEjSyc Z3O_O_6dZbQLVMc3Zdn76UrUxBVoeW5QniMaBtSjPSZ67qn_YT mFB9jzUNz5-gEpM8a8X5ZW8JGca-DWkjBrOR_i2CY6GbMJ9KghZWscA=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVxjkfK1oTgo2qElmWF0zp-bf_GJmNyHRXTYVZcgQe2GkWKublyDeLtQJwLybN2RIrzW8GlXn uYFebs82-Txtu2khFjjvFtyVvxhgIf8b7HvLZKhcCa83MuNIg_v9XfX9TMQ e0PGOsvGkgwJecjE2r__w=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1

The board can be adapted for use with LV's shooting plane guides, and also outfitted with a fixed 45° fence.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW44IqbfhhXdexZurVKWMOr7CdbFvCK5sPCQqPBVoR7Kmx0L ryuLmKqSY-3YaBRyb2YMoYDXEo01Gzbwq2XbXfR7Ci4e4SA0E2GMTdj5aiep ps_oW774y3pQm1BhO_suZwWEbUkIO_XBYQiXtNpl2SZYg=w147 0-h828-no?authuser=1

This shooting board satisfies the needs of most folks, unless you need to create bevels at angles other than 45°. Yes, you could make additional bevel ramps for other angles, but what if there were a board that could adjust to any bevel angle? Well, there now is.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLV4GBq-8FaTmIyHObFnnrW6M_hZNtvBHcKuGWgMabeue2CCwTuGThuep9 roa_va8LTfSyECLNpHmwt1g4ekor0XTgWoJtrQt_Gcm7Xp_T0M G3thxSUj4aPg5qGmdRB0Sc4rJzjKLQcwz5mNKx6LB7uDTQ=w14 70-h828-no?authuser=1

Any miter angle, any bevel angle, on either side, all on one shooting board.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWDIk2ZX_zHEGCqJi6TMjocajt_pOXx8WUZpvL9XsXuL6xdA yFR8VqcojRs9JwMrAq_e6DSN7X5m4YekS4I1CacSgHnOyiRxHB 2aQj68PhqiE1bv-742RI83pNz7KNAoZKIPK8cRTv6g9OTysbbuh2ERA=w1470-h828-no?authuser=1

You can learn more about both shooting boards in the Classifieds section.

John

Tom M King
06-09-2022, 12:47 PM
Easily the best design for one I've ever seen!!

Andrew Hughes
06-09-2022, 8:22 PM
Not bad at all John.
It’s has a ring of the late David Charlesworth precision. Hopefully it works as good as it looks :)

John TenEyck
06-09-2022, 8:44 PM
Not bad at all John.
It’s has a ring of the late David Charlesworth precision. Hopefully it works as good as it looks :)

Thanks Andrew. Yes, they do indeed work as good as they look. With a scary sharp blade in my plane they are a pleasure to use. Using the CNC to cut the critical parts assures accuracy and precision that's hard to replicate by hand, though I freely admit that checking and adjusting parts by hand, when needed, assures everything works as it should. Customer feedback so far has been very positive.

John

John TenEyck
06-12-2022, 10:26 AM
Ok, please help me out folks. I thought these shooting boards would raise a lot of enthusiasm but clearly I was wrong. What is it you all see as deficient, missing, or unnecessary?

John

Jim Koepke
06-12-2022, 11:26 AM
Ok, please help me out folks. I thought these shooting boards would raise a lot of enthusiasm but clearly I was wrong. What is it you all see as deficient, missing, or unnecessary?

John

John, your design is a useful and interesting concept. There are likely many who will use (or steal) some of your design concepts.

Most folks make their own shop accessories like shooting boards and such. This design is more intricate than many folks have the equipment, ability or desire to make.

The majority of shooting board use is for cleaning up 90º cuts. Some will use shop made attachments for shooting miters.

Your shooting board is possibly the only ambidextrous shooting board, beside one of mine, that has been displayed on SMC. To me it seems odd when people are so one handed dominate they find it darn near impossible to perform a task with their non-dominant hand.

Having a shooting board for cutting compound angles has crossed my mind but has yet to come to fruition. It isn't something the average woodworker needs or even wants for their everyday projects.

jtk

Keegan Shields
06-12-2022, 2:07 PM
Really neat design that may not address a problem. I made my shooting board out of some scrap MDF and scrap hardwood. No way I could justify paying $300-$500 for this (as a hobbiest) - as cool as it is. The added features are cool, but angle functionality is easy to add to most shooting boards. If I need to shoot 45s, I have a angled piece I tack to my shooting board with pin nails. Boom - 45 deg zero clearance fence.

Its a brilliant execution. Maybe if I made jewelry boxes or other small items for a living I would buy this. Shelling out $400 for a LV shooting plane is already a stretch for me.

Keep grinding man. It takes awhile to find a good problem to solve. How about a $50 bandsaw tension gauge based on your design. Theres a big hole in the market for a reasonably priced bandsaw tension gauge that works. The design on your website is genius. Sell a kit where I can add my own dial indicator maybe?

John TenEyck
06-13-2022, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the comments, Jim and Keegan. The simpler of the two shooting boards sells for $175, including shipping. That seems like a very fair price compared to what I see being offered commercially where you mostly get a once sided, fixed angle unit. With mine you get all angles on both sides. Those making picture frames and boxes for example, with the addition of the bevel kit, should appreciate the benefits. For people making boxes and trays with compound miters the higher end unit makes trimming those pieces extremely easy and precise. Clearly, I misjudged the value people would place in them.

John

Jim Koepke
06-13-2022, 5:15 PM
The simpler of the two shooting boards sells for $175, including shipping. That seems like a very fair price compared to what I see being offered commercially where you mostly get a once sided, fixed angle unit.

Yes John, you may have "built a better mousetrap." How many people are actually wanting to buy a better mousetrap?

Another take on this; let's say a person is making $35/hr. This would be five hours of pretax work to buy a shooting board. It isn't too far fetched for a person to be able to put together a simple shooting board in an hour or two.

It is fairly easy to build angled fences or make an adjustable fence to shoot different angles.There are various attachments for my shooting board to cut angles of 3º, 10º, 22-1/2º & 45º.

When it comes to shop fixtures, building them builds experience, knowledge and techniques. Spending money to have someone else build shop fixtures and appliances may deny a person of what they can learn from building it them self.

jtk

Keegan Shields
06-13-2022, 5:20 PM
John,

Maybe its the wrong audience here. Have you thought about giving a few units to some Youtuber types for free? That might hit the Woodpeckers crowd.

Getting the word out to the general public about consumer products is tough without a big marketing budget. Another strategy is finding a niche market that would find your shooting board's functionality particularly useful. For example jewelry box makers or perhaps some type of instrument maker? Then find those online communities where they gather.

As an example, Facebook didn't start out targeting everyone - they started with Ivy League college students. (a group that is tech savvy and passionate about expanding their social network) Pick a small market with passionate members as your beachhead.

Its a really nice shooting board. I just don't do enough variable angle shooting board work for the price. But I bet someone does. :)

Jim Koepke
06-13-2022, 9:02 PM
For example jewelry box makers or perhaps some type of instrument maker? Then find those online communities where they gather.

Another market might be among custom picture framing shops. Though a lot of those already have miter trimmers. You might have to do some salesmanship and demonstrations.

jtk

Richard Coers
06-13-2022, 10:35 PM
Another market might be among custom picture framing shops. Though a lot of those already have miter trimmers. You might have to do some salesmanship and demonstrations.

jtk
Custom frame shops do not cut frames anymore, not one I've been in anyway. The frame maker provides them with samples and a phone call places an order from the manufacturer. Finished frame shows up the next day if they want to pay the rush price.

Richard Coers
06-13-2022, 10:38 PM
I suggest you lower that fence on the flat 45 degree cut so you can get a hand on the handle of the plane. There is no contact with the plane body for at least half the width of the fence. Maybe I missed something, but what are those half circle cuts up by the fence. I can't see them being used?

Clifford McGuire
06-14-2022, 11:26 AM
Clearly, I misjudged the value people would place in them.

John

It may just be bad timing John. I know my discretionary spending has been cut way back by the economy in a tailspin.

It does look like great work and a useful product.

John Lanciani
06-14-2022, 12:01 PM
It may just be bad timing John. I know my discretionary spending has been cut way back by the economy in a tailspin.

It does look like great work and a useful product.

That, and it's a tough time of year to sell to hobby woodworkers. Everyone is outside and enjoying summer activities. I've found the best times to sell tools and such is between Labor Day and Thanksgiving or February through April (folks getting tax returns).

John TenEyck
06-14-2022, 2:42 PM
Thanks for the additional comments, everyone. You may be right about the timing. Summer is the season to be outside, travel, etc. And I need to look into a more targeted audience it seems, although I thought some folks at SMC would really jump on it. The price of the AUSB is pretty inconsequential to many folks. I read almost daily of someone buying a slider, or a Felder, Hammer, MiniMax, etc. machine, all of which are many thousands of $'s, so there's plenty of disposable income. I'm just not finding those folks, those who will see the benefits for their particular craft. Time to find them. Thanks again. I very much appreciate the opinions, insights, and ideas.

John

Jim Koepke
06-14-2022, 4:30 PM
Right now tis the season of the farmers markets. People will buy potting benches and patio furniture.

jtk

Derek Cohen
06-14-2022, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the additional comments, everyone. You may be right about the timing. Summer is the season to be outside, travel, etc. And I need to look into a more targeted audience it seems, although I thought some folks at SMC would really jump on it. The price of the AUSB is pretty inconsequential to many folks. I read almost daily of someone buying a slider, or a Felder, Hammer, MiniMax, etc. machine, all of which are many thousands of $'s, so there's plenty of disposable income. I'm just not finding those folks, those who will see the benefits for their particular craft. Time to find them. Thanks again. I very much appreciate the opinions, insights, and ideas.

John

John, SMC is not the forum to sell a high-priced tool which most believe they can make for pennies. The Power Tool forum on SMC have some big spenders, but a slider is easier to rationalise as the money is going on substantial equipment. The same may be said for all other fori, with one exception, Festool Owners Group. Post there and you will sell your shooting board. My impression is that the members there live to buy tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
06-15-2022, 1:37 AM
The same may be said for all other fori, with one exception, Festool Owners Group. Post there and you will sell your shooting board.

As they say, the three most important parts of doing business is Location, Location, Location.

jtk

William Fretwell
06-15-2022, 11:19 PM
Lovely shooting board. Most of us do 90 and 45 degrees, that is 95% of our usage. Your considerable extra mile is for the 5%. Therein lies the problem.

John TenEyck
06-16-2022, 1:35 PM
That's why the lower end shooting board is priced at $175 including shipping. It's less expensive than any commercial offering I know of and does much more, 90 deg, 45 deg, and anything in between, and beyond. I understand why many folks build their own, but for those who would rather buy one this should be an easy decision.

John Kananis
06-19-2022, 9:28 AM
This is partly why lots of great ideas never become mass market trends. Often, the person with the idea either can't execute, market, manufacture, etc.

You have a wonderful idea that would definitely sell IF you can reach the right market. I would reach out to a youtuber with an audience that's looking for gadgets, short cuts, cool things to do the work for them and partner. First, tell them you'll send one for them to review. If successful, offer a "partnership" where they do the sales and marketing (that's their niche anyway) and you give them a percentage of the revenue generated.

Imho, if you decide you want to keep it all for yourself, you really need to work a lot harder than a forum post but you can make a fortune if you're willing to put in A LOT of work. Partnering is easier and allows you latitude on so many levels (including not being buried by too much to do).

Some of the most successful partnerships in corporate America have been founded in a similar fashion. Steve Jobs (for instance) didn't and couldn't create anything but Steve Wozniak, as brilliant as he was, would have kept the wooden apple prototype as a novelty in his garage and maybe shown it off to a friend here and there. Best of luck, I think you have a really good idea that you should pursue further.

Frederick Skelly
06-19-2022, 9:46 AM
John,
It's a nice accessory, well executed. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Fred

John TenEyck
06-19-2022, 10:32 AM
Thanks very much for the advice and words of encouragement, John. It's very much appreciated.

John

Mark Gibney
06-19-2022, 1:54 PM
I see a lot of woodworkers and woodworking related items being marketed through Instagram.
I think that's a platform you should be on with this. I cannot advise how to market yourself there, but I do know that you can hire help to promote your "presence" and exposure.
It's a beautiful tool and I hope you find a market.

Ed Mitchell
06-23-2022, 9:02 AM

John

I agree with Keegan, above. I haven't had the pleasure of using it, but it seems nothing is wrong, the design offers every feature I could have ever dreamed of in a shooting board, and I think many would love to own such a useful tool. But 500 bucks for a hobbyist makes this quite a luxury item, especially when it's new to the market, and durability data & 3rd party reviews won't exist for some time.

Lie Nielsen didn't become LN overnight! If you make a truly great product, time is on your side, and eventually the sales will come. Sawmill Creek isn't exactly an ad during halftime of the Superbowl.

Robert Engel
06-23-2022, 10:12 AM
I think its fantastic, but there's a limited category of ww'ers who 1) use a shooting board and 2) within that group, many (like me) don't have much need for bevels or miters.

Forward it to Rob Cosman & Marc Spagnolo and see if they'll market it for you?

Louis Lampe
06-24-2022, 11:07 PM
tension gauge under $50 I just saw the ad, haven´t used one. eztension dot com includes interesting video

Keegan Shields
06-25-2022, 5:13 PM
Looks like that ez tension gauge only works up to 1/2” blades and only on carbon steel ones. John design seems to be more precise and will work on a wide variety of blade sizes and materials. I just haven’t gotten around to making one yet.

John TenEyck
06-26-2022, 10:07 AM
Looks like that ez tension gauge only works up to 1/2” blades and only on carbon steel ones. John design seems to be more precise and will work on a wide variety of blade sizes and materials. I just haven’t gotten around to making one yet.

It's not my design; I copied it from one I saw on YouTube I think. I'm sure it wasn't his idea either. People have been measuring strain in materials that way for probably more than a hundred years.

Yes, it works on any size blade. The longer the length of blade between the clamps and the higher the resolution of the dial gage the more accurate the measured strain will be.

You can make one in an hour.

John

Tom Bender
06-30-2022, 8:33 AM
You might try marketing to family members of woodworkers. They need a gift to buy for the person who is hard to buy for. This could result in a lot more things never used. Please do not target my family. My small shop has no space for marginal stuff.

Stan Calow
06-30-2022, 5:51 PM
My question is how do you set a precise angle on it? With a protractor? And does the fence hold position well? Thats a problem I have with my shop-built shooting board. I'm guessing it took some complicated math to figure out the layout of those lines, so respect for that.

John TenEyck
06-30-2022, 10:37 PM
My question is how do you set a precise angle on it? With a protractor? And does the fence hold position well? Thats a problem I have with my shop-built shooting board. I'm guessing it took some complicated math to figure out the layout of those lines, so respect for that.

I supply an angle gage with the Universal Shooting Board, to make it easy to set the pivot stop or bevel angle to 22.5 or 45 degrees. For 30 degrees I recommend you use a quality drafting triangle. They are extremely accurate. For other angles you can cut an angle gage from a piece of scrap on your miter saw or use a protractor with swing arm or digital protractor if you are strictly a hand tool user.

The pivot stop is rock solid, both against the rear fixed stop and when pivoted to any angle of choice. The bevel ramp is equally solid, at any angle. No complicated math was involved in the design, just simple geometry and a LOT of CAD and CNC time to get it all worked out.

John

glenn bradley
06-30-2022, 10:41 PM
Nicely done John. Sorry I didn't see this and respond sooner. Well thought out, well executed, and sustainable through the replaceable parts.