PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Table w/ Lifting Top—Hardware Recs?

matt ogelby
06-09-2022, 7:56 AM
Hi all,
I am building a coffee table for a client that will have a top that lifts and stays in place for working (see attached pic for example). Does anyone have any experience / recommendations for quality hardware? There are several options I’ve found online, but many with mixed reviews. It would be tough to know which one has the best functionality without buying several and testing. Thanks!

Jay Gargiulo
06-09-2022, 8:03 AM
I used the Rockler “Lift Up Table Mechanism” for a coffee table for a client recently and it worked out well. Very sturdy. Used a 50 x 27 x 1.625” Ambrosia Maple top and it handled the weight just fine. There are much cheaper options but for a commissioned piece I’d recommend getting the best hardware - it reflects better on your work.

matt ogelby
06-09-2022, 5:45 PM
Thank you! I absolutely agree. I'm assuming this is the one you used (https://www.rockler.com/lift-up-table-mechanism)?

Did you use any hardware to hold the top shut / down or did the weight do that fine by itself? Also, that piece of hardware is spring assisted, correct? I was wondering if the ones that are hydraulic assisted would be smoother. What was your experience? Thanks again.

Jay Gargiulo
06-10-2022, 4:31 AM
Yes, that’s the one I used. The weight was more than enough to keep it down but the top was pretty heavy. It says it works between 24-100 lbs. The action was smooth but there would be a little room for improvement in that department. Wasn’t aware of a hydraulic mechanism for these but i could imagine a quality one being better.

matt ogelby
06-10-2022, 1:10 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback.