PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Slang: Brass Chickens, Red Eagles and Silver Eagles.

Dev Emch
01-21-2006, 1:59 AM
When looking at buying a used oliver machine, one is likely to hear the slang of brass chickens, red eagles and silver eagles. These names apply to the type of name tag the machine has and ultimately to the base model and year range in which the model was built.

The first tag is the brass chicken. It covers a very large range year wise and represents some of the more prolific machines on the market. It is also arguably the prettyist of the tags used. The last brass chickens made were about 1955. Now from about 1900 forward, there was one other tag that just said Oliver Machinery. I dont have an example of that one. But the brass chicken goes back to at least the 1930s and maybe a bit more.

Following the brass chicken was the red eagle. This was a more art deco type design with red and white color on a brass tag. These tags were found in both a horitontal position and a vertical position. Also, machines like 416 bandsaws had a red eagle tag that was gauch to the max. It was about 8 inches by 12 inches. No doubt who built that bandsaw! These machines are argued to be the best oliver made. They were mostly second generation and changes were done to improve them and not necessarily to cut costs. Examples in this range include the type 2 model 299 planer which is one of the best 24 inche compact planers ever built. Should I replace mine, it would most likely be replaced with a Buss 4L-M 30 inch planer with dual sectional infeed rollers. Its that good! The last red eagles came off the line about circa 1974 when a new crop of cost reduced machines came on the market.

This new generation of machines often had many cost reduced features designed to make oliver more competative with other makers and the decline of the woodworking machinery business in general. Examples here include the type 3 model 299 oliver planer. This one is immediately recognized by its very boxy lines and the feed motor bell sticking out of the front skirt. Simply put, I dont like this planer. You also found castings changed to save weight with thinner metal here and there. Spindles were changed to thread on spindles which is a pest to work on since you cannot maintain tight concentricity. Personally, I no longer own any silver eagles. The third tag is a silver eagle and this was the tag used by oliver until production ceased during the early 1990s.

This should give you a light guide as to what your dealing with and what features your looking at. Most hardcore oliver fanatics usually go for brass chickens and red eagles. Red eagles tend to cost more but brass chickens are highly loved for their simplicity and ease of rebuild.

Hope you find this helpful and entertaining...

Mark Rios
01-21-2006, 3:35 AM
Very much so, thanks.

Alan Turner
01-21-2006, 6:16 AM
Dev
Cool little essay. Thanks.

Bill Simmeth
01-21-2006, 8:35 AM
Nice write-up Dev. Here's a poor photo of the first style badge you mentioned...

Tom Pritchard
01-21-2006, 8:43 AM
Dev, this is great information! I learn so much from your posts, and I appreciate the time you put into them! I know I will never have the space or $$$ to purchase something like this, but I buy lottery tickets each week and like they say "Hey, you never know!"! :)

Thanks again for sharing this information.