PDA

View Full Version : Results of a week at JCCFS with John Keeton

Mark Greenbaum
06-08-2022, 1:15 PM
I haven't posted here for a very long time. I decided to join (finally had $6 from selling a bottle stopper last weekend :-))

I spent a week in May up at John C. Campbell Folk School, taking a class from John Keeton and Bob Wilkinson. Interesting vase forms and texturing techniques. I am going to do a demonstration at the TAW club meeting this fall to show what I learned.

Ricc Havens
06-08-2022, 1:20 PM
Very cool! my dream is to go to a class with John Keeton at Campbell Folk school

Mark Greenbaum
06-08-2022, 1:26 PM
He's got another different class in the Fall.

Ricc Havens
06-08-2022, 2:36 PM
He's got another different class in the Fall.

yeah I saw that. But my difficulty in schedule and attending a class is I live in Northern Indiana and due to my vision issues I don't drive. so getting there is the big hurdle. Uber would be a tad expensive!! :D

John Keeton
06-09-2022, 6:20 AM
Mark did some great work in the class as did all of the others. It was a productive week! The classes Bob and I teach are focused on the finer elements of form, proportion and smooth transitions. Everyone was challenged, but that is the objective of the class - to inspire students to try new ideas and to concentrate on classical form. I would add that my co-instructor is Bob (Robert) Henrickson, not Wilkinson. Bob is also a member of SMC.

Mark Greenbaum
06-09-2022, 7:57 AM
Hello, John. Thanks for the correction on Bob's name. I will need to get permission to use some of your info for my demo at the TAW club. Not much, just enough to help fill 2 hours of demonstration. I left my wife have her pick of the 3 vases, and of course she chose "Big Red". Thanks, again, for such a great week of edumocation.

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2022, 8:19 AM
Very nice work Mark! John is an exceptional turner! So happy that he is teaching at JCC and sharing his techniques with others! Highly recommend everyone check out his classes!

Mark Greenbaum
06-09-2022, 5:23 PM
Here's a practice piece I did from KD Euro pine 3x3x10".

John Keeton
06-10-2022, 8:54 AM
Mark, I like your embellishments. On the form I would have had a more curvaceous shape, smaller base and a rounded shoulder flowing into the nice pyro work on the collar. But, I am glad you are playing around with the embellishment ideas from class. Just email me on what materials you need for your demo.

Mark Greenbaum
06-10-2022, 9:05 AM
Thanks, John. I felt limited by the smaller diameter (3"), and I will try some more as the time progresses. I still have a few pieces of the 3x3 Euro Pine dunnage to play with, so I'll post as I can.

I did try to make a couple of pairs of Golden Mean Calipers from wood and thin plywood, but the points broke off. So I created a pattern from tracing the DIY version in RhinoCAD, and exported via step file and had a pair made from 1.5mm steel.