PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone collect these kind of things

tom lucas
06-07-2022, 7:50 PM
I have this old craftsman sander. I'm guessing dates to the 70's. It's in very good condition. Comes with a very heavy duty steel case and the owner's manual is intact. Do people collect this sort of thing? Does it have any value?480453

Mitch schiffer
06-07-2022, 7:57 PM
I have seen lots of these fora sale very cheap on Craigslist and they usually sit on the for a long time. I don't believe there is any value in these types of items.

Mel Fulks
06-07-2022, 10:13 PM
Not a hot collectible. But they can be used for sanding wood.

tom lucas
06-07-2022, 10:46 PM
OK, Thanks. It does operate pretty nicely and is much heavier than today's sanders. But without dust collection. I love the box and could use it for other things. Maybe I'll do that...... I just hate to trash a perfectly working sander that is in great condition. Or maybe I'll just keep it safe and whole, hand it down to my son. Then in another 30 years it might be valuable. At least it'll stay out the the landfill that way.

Mike Henderson
06-07-2022, 10:52 PM
Donate it to Goodwill or equivalent. Someone will buy it and use it. I suspect most of the people here have better solutions for sanding.

Mike

Von Bickley
06-07-2022, 11:01 PM
Find a young wood worker and give it to him / her.

Bruce Page
06-07-2022, 11:22 PM
I had that same sander years ago. It was a workhorse but had zero dust collection. I have its cousin, a PC505 right now that I haven’t used in several years - for the same reason.

Matt Day
06-08-2022, 8:08 PM
I have a similar circular saw with a nice metal box. Need to figure out what to do with it.

Tom Bain
06-08-2022, 9:18 PM
The metal box might be worth something … the sander, not so much :)

Doug Walls
06-08-2022, 10:33 PM
There's a couple of groups on Facebook about old Craftsman tools, https://www.facebook.com/groups/search/groups_home/?q=Old%20Craftsman%20Tools
I've mostly seen lathes & other metalworking equipment on there, but someone there may collect items like that.

Doug

tom lucas
06-09-2022, 12:09 PM
Thanks Doug

Andrew Seemann
06-09-2022, 1:57 PM
I broke down and brought all of my dad's old die cast Craftsman stuff to the scrapyard: a couple sanders, a saw, and a router. Even if they still worked, I didn't feel comfortable giving ungrounded, metal-housing tools to anyone, much less unsuspecting strangers. None of them had been used in probably 40 years. He had actually upgraded it all in the 70s to double insulated, but still hung on to the old die cast for some reason.

Even if they still work, some things are just unsafe and obsolete. A cheap random orbit will run circles around those old monstrosities, and it is much less likely to electrocute you.

Roger Feeley
06-09-2022, 7:19 PM
I inherited a sander like that from my dad. I hated that thing because of the vibration. I tried a porter cable ROS and the Craftsman went to the landfill that day.