PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Ringshake Beech Bowl

John Hart
01-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Howdy,
A while back, some of you may remember a very large chunk of Beech that had ringshake. I cut it up into smaller pieces and decided to try and salvage some of it. Even though this blank still had the problem, I figured that I could repair it, if it had a problem. Well.....It had a problem. It exploded while I was gouging out the center. No injuries, no problems. I kinda expected it. Anyway, the result was this bowl. It is 6" in Diameter and 4" high, with a .115 wall thickness. The wall gets thicker toward the bottom. Just some BLO on it for now. I'll finish with the Secret stuff over the weekend. Thanks for lookin' :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
John the bowl is beautiful. Thanks for posting start to finish. That gives us that are new to this a idea of what to look for. Great work John as always.

Mike Ramsey
01-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Good save John, looks pretty good for leftovers....

Mark Cothren
01-20-2006, 11:45 PM
That's a great bowl, John! Some great spalting there!

Thanks for all the pictures!

Cecil Arnold
01-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Nice bowl John, good save.

Bill Stevener
01-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Very nice bowl John. Not much left from that big chunk you had, however you have a keeper.

Now if you were to cut a bunch of that up in to 1" sq about 6" long or so, set em aside to dry, I could get a lot of mines out of it. :D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
01-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Nice save John. Too bad it happened but it's still a sweet looking piece. What kinda glue was that? Almost looks like PL400.

Dick Parr
01-21-2006, 1:27 AM
Really great save John and it a very nice look bowl. Nice job:)

Ed Scolforo
01-21-2006, 6:16 AM
To go where no man dare.... John, that was a great save, beautifully done! Ed

Bob Noles
01-21-2006, 6:40 AM
John,

All's well that end's well and man did that one end well :)

That is one fantastic looking bowl.

John Hart
01-21-2006, 7:05 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll probably be able to get 4 or 5 decent sized pieces like this out of that chunk, plus about 100 spalted pen blanks. There is a large spalted slab that will make a 15" platter too...So it doesn't seem like too much of a loss.

...Now if you were to cut a bunch of that up in to 1" sq about 6" long or so, set em aside to dry, I could get a lot of mines out of it. :D ...

I bet you could!!! And I think I'll do that.;)

Nice save John. Too bad it happened but it's still a sweet looking piece. What kinda glue was that? Almost looks like PL400.

I use regular ol' System 3 clear epoxy and mixed it with Beech sanding dust. I think it turned out too light though. Any future ones, I'll probably mix it with ebony or walnut or something.

Michael Stafford
01-21-2006, 7:06 AM
John, that piece of wood was worth whatever efforts it took to save it. A beautiful piece of wood turned into a beautiful bowl with a great save! Excellent!;) :D

Robert Mickley
01-21-2006, 7:16 AM
Great save John, I really like spalted beech.

Gary Max
01-21-2006, 7:21 AM
John --Great looking bowl---Love the wall thickness--Thin is IN

Travis Stinson
01-21-2006, 7:42 AM
Great save John. The end result was definitely worth the effort.

Michael Stafford
01-21-2006, 8:10 AM
I use regular ol' System 3 clear epoxy and mixed it with Beech sanding dust. I think it turned out too light though. Any future ones, I'll probably mix it with ebony or walnut or something.

John, I don't know anything so take this for what it is worth. Sometimes I find it necessary to fill voids and use mixtures of sawdust, coffee grinds and other fillers to do that. But in the case of a repair such as you made on this bowl I think that plain ole epoxy used as an adhesive and properly cured will come as close to disappearing as anything under a finish. Now that statement is made assuming that you had to use the epoxy to completely reattach the piece that came loose. I find that if you mix colored materials in the epoxy for a large glue job like that it emphasizes the repair whereas the clear epoxy alone disappears. Just my thoughts and I still think it is a great looking bowl with a great story.

Glenn Hodges
01-21-2006, 8:14 AM
John, you did a professional job at saving this bowl.

Jim Dunn
01-21-2006, 8:50 AM
John very nice save (why do I feel like a hockey goalie coach with all these nice saves) on an other wise big chunk of kindling.

I'm in the middle of turning a glue up, then I'll start on handle from that hickory:)

Jim

John Miliunas
01-21-2006, 9:31 AM
Way cool, John! You're a gutsy guy, I'll say that much. I think I may have given up after the first explosion! Really turned out pretty trick, IMHO. Way to go and don't forget the pics after the "Secret Finish"! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
01-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Why...that's just beechy!!! :D (Nice stuff, John...)

Keith Burns
01-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Mr. Hart that is a wonderful piece, great save:) :)

Ernie Nyvall
01-21-2006, 1:54 PM
Well you certainly found a nice chunk in there. Nice bowl John.

Ernie