PDA

View Full Version : Glue brushes

Doug Jones
07-20-2003, 8:06 AM
How many of you use a glue brush? If you do, how do you keep the glue from drying up on the brush so it can be reused? Thanks, Doug

Bobby Hatfield
07-20-2003, 8:28 AM
How many of you use a glue brush? If you do, how do you keep the glue from drying up on the brush so it can be reused? Thanks, Doug

Doug, before I start a glueup I fill a plastic container with water and use a small sponge to clean up glued joints and spilled drips and to keep the brush in during breaks between uses, and to clean it in after the days session. I bought bargain acid brushes and replace them when they show rust on the metal handles after a few uses.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-20-2003, 8:28 AM
Doug, I use a brush for glue all the time. I prefer the metal handled Flux type brush the plumbers use for fluxing before sweating copper. They are cheap, and if they get dried and funky, I just pitch 'em. I usually keep a small container of water handy, and when I am done with the brush for the moment, I place it in the water. If I need it again shortly, I remove it, dry if off some with a rag, and use it again. I clean it out with water when I am done, and let it dry for next time. If I forget to clean it, I just toss it and get another. I buy them in boxes of 100, and they are cheap, but work well. That is the same type of brush you see Norm use a lot on New Yankee Workshop. (By the way, if the brush is too big for the task, just hack off some bristles with a scissors, and fan the bristles with your finger a few times to shake out any loose clippings, and you are ready to go.) Nothing better for getting a good, even coat of glue on surfaces and in tight places.

Ken Salisbury
07-20-2003, 10:21 AM
Doug, before I start a glueup I fill a plastic container with water and use a small sponge to clean up glued joints and spilled drips and to keep the brush in during breaks between uses, and to clean it in after the days session. I bought bargain acid brushes and replace them when they show rust on the metal handles after a few uses.

I use the exact same method and brushes.

Jim Becker
07-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Doug, I bought a gross of small brushes a couple of years ago and just throw each one out at the end of a session. They cost pennies apiece and are not worth saving for another day. I find that keeping one in use moist will allow it to be used for extended assembly sessions, but if it gets too "set", it just goes in the trash can and a new one comes out. I don't remember the exact cost, but I think it was about ten bucks for the box!