PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Cedar

kevin nee
05-30-2022, 10:31 AM
I have enough Spanish Cedar to make a gate and small fence near a hot tub (outside) I am thinking of staining it to match the house & other fence. I usually use Ben Moore water based stain. Will stained Spanish Cedar hold up outside?
Thanks in advance, Kevin

John TenEyck
05-30-2022, 12:44 PM
Spanish cedar is very durable outside whether or not it's stained. From the Wood Database:

Rot Resistance: (https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-durability/) Spanish Cedar ranges from durable to moderately durable regarding decay resistance, and is also resistant to termite attack; the wood is also reported to have excellent weathering characteristics. Older, slower-growing trees from the wild tend to produce wood that is more durable than wood from younger, plantation-grown trees.

John

Richard Coers
05-30-2022, 1:52 PM
I've had some Spanish cedar that liked to bleed these little glossy spots, I assume oil from the wood. I personally would not use a water based stain on it.

Mike Wilkins
05-31-2022, 10:48 PM
Spanish Cedar holds up fine outdoors with a protective coating. I have made some yard signs with it, coated with marine/boat formulated paint. So far so good.

kevin nee
06-01-2022, 7:34 AM
Thanks for the replies, my main concern is the oil in the Spanish Cedar affecting the stain. Oil base stain is an option. I am just checking if anyone has any experience staining Spanish Cedar for outdoor use. I plan to stain the material before installing it.

ed morini
06-04-2022, 10:56 AM
Those “glossy spots” are most likely resin that was not set by a temperature high enough to do the job. In my experience it does not stop for quite a while. Causing me to require my supplier to state whether it’s been heated to 140 deg and any resin bleed through be returned for credit

Ed