PDA

View Full Version : Planer setup question??

Andy Howard
01-20-2006, 9:05 PM
I got a reconditioned Dewalt DW735 planer today!! The first one was damaged in shipping and had to be sent back, so I have been waiting for it to arive for about 6 weeks, but that is another story.

I also have the extension tables that I picked up from Lowes at closeout pricing. :)

Now, how much higher than the main table should the ends of the extension tables be? I seem to remember that adding a small tilt upward on each side of the planer will help to eliminate snipe? Or, should they be dead flat?

I know, no pics means it didnt happen, but I promise to post some later if you guys help me out!

Thanks,
Andy

John Miliunas
01-20-2006, 10:41 PM
I got a reconditioned Dewalt DW735 planer today!! The first one was damaged in shipping and had to be sent back, so I have been waiting for it to arive for about 6 weeks, but that is another story.

I also have the extension tables that I picked up from Lowes at closeout pricing. :)

Now, how much higher than the main table should the ends of the extension tables be? I seem to remember that adding a small tilt upward on each side of the planer will help to eliminate snipe? Or, should they be dead flat?

I know, no pics means it didnt happen, but I promise to post some later if you guys help me out!

Thanks,
Andy

Andy, I used to have that setup and can't quite remember exactly how much, but I did play with it and kicking both, infeed and outfeed up did indeed help out with the snipe. Dead flat just didn't do it for me. :) :cool:

Mike Henderson
01-21-2006, 1:54 AM
I have the DW735 also and dead flat works fine for me - no snipe. Try that first before you use any elevation.

Mike

Don Dean
01-21-2006, 9:59 AM
I also have a new DW735 with tables and dead flat seems to work fine, so far no snipe.

Matt Tawes
01-21-2006, 10:08 AM
I've had the DW735 for about 3yrs. and it does on occasion tend to snipe on the ends. I just raised my outfeed table up probably 1/32 or so (trial and error mostly). For the most part when I'm planing rough stock I've aready figured in cutting of the ends to square, elimiante checks (cracks) and of course that couple inches of snipe.