PDA

View Full Version : Ryan's Cradle (unfinished)

David Duke
01-20-2006, 9:02 PM
Here's some pics of the cradle I'm building for my grandson. This is my own design, I tried to follow the lines on the crib I had built shown in this post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28293&highlight=Ryans+Crib .

I wasn't planning on posting until I had finished but couldn't resist seeing what everyone thought. The cradle is made of maple; the 12/4 material shown in the background will be the legs.....:D .

Jim Becker
01-20-2006, 9:06 PM
That's a really nice design, David, and it looks like it's coming a long very nicely.

John Timberlake
01-20-2006, 9:39 PM
Nice work. Can't wait to see it finished.

Shelley Bolster
01-20-2006, 9:44 PM
Wow - I LOVE that design! I don't blame you at all from wanting to show it before it is finished David.........you should feel real proud of yourself! My first grandchild is due in March so I am having to think about cribs. I am really impressed with the style you developed.......you have a great eye for design!

Jerry Olexa
01-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Nice job...Looks good...How're you going to finish it ? Dye?

Gail O'Rourke
01-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Gorgeous, you should be proud.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Lookin' Good there, David, Like the others, I am waiting for the finished look. Know it will be great.

Bruce

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-21-2006, 1:00 AM
The profile on the top rail of the sides make it appear that the sides are bowed out in the middle...a way cool effect. That's a very, very nice design. :)

Allen Grimes
01-21-2006, 1:44 AM
The funny thing is you said that you designed the cradle based on the crib and the crib is a bought design, but I like your design ten times better than the one you bought. The look is a lot more elegant and thought out.

Nothing inspires me more than to see an original piece, that is so well made. Especially when it comes from somebody who is not a famous woodworking legend. Work like this makes me want to work harder at making my designs.

Thanks for posting.

Tom Drake
01-21-2006, 6:33 AM
Very nice work. Great design too.

Tom Pritchard
01-21-2006, 8:53 AM
David, that is a beautiful cradle! I am very impressed with both the workmanship and design! Great work, and I really like the sloped sides of the cradle. I can see a great deal of care going into the construction:) ! I can't wait to see the final product with Ryan in it!!!

David Duke
01-21-2006, 9:22 AM
...How're you going to finish it ? Dye?

It will be a natural finish.............a sealer then 5-6 coats of laquer then buffed and waxed.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, other than cabinetry this is one of the first pieces that I can call my own design, I am working on the design of legs that I think will be really unique and I hope work well with the cradle itself.........so its out to the shop in just a few minutes.

Once again thanks!!

Chris Barton
01-21-2006, 9:44 AM
Very masterfully done!

Jim W. White
01-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Destined to be an heirloom! The design is really great!! ...I see more babies in your future :D

Joe Unni
01-21-2006, 5:13 PM
David,

My first real project was my oldest daughters cradle. I loved making it, but I loved seeing her in it more.

Great work thus far and a very beautiful design. I'm excited for you to see your grandson in it.

Relish and enjoy,
-joe