PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft One Drive scam?

Barry McFadden
05-28-2022, 9:15 AM
I got an email the other day saying my Microsoft One Drive account is about to be shut down as it has'nt been used in 2 years and has links to log into it. I have never set up a One Drive account. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this email.

John K Jordan
05-28-2022, 9:36 AM
I don’t use Onedrive and never click on links in an email without investigating them.
However I found this on the MS support website which might be useful:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/why-did-i-get-an-email-saying-your-account-will-be-deleted-5ee83d1a-28da-4d05-a1ca-46a522919e45
Look under ‘Other FAQs’, ‘phishing’

Frederick Skelly
05-28-2022, 9:39 AM
Havent seen that one. But an email for something you dont use, that includes links, has high potential for trouble. Glad you dodged that bullet!

Michael Weber
05-28-2022, 10:06 AM
You must have better spam filters than my email provider. I see that frequently about many websites some of which I have never used.

Jim Koepke
05-28-2022, 10:21 AM
The links in emails are always suspect, IMO. Some are genuine, it is not real difficult to sort things into real vs scam.

If it is a known web site, use your browser to check on whatever is involved.

jtk

JOEL MONGEON
05-28-2022, 10:38 AM
It's good you are suspicious of emails like this.

I almost always delete anything that I don't recognize right away. If I'm unsure I may open the email but never click a link. First thing I do is check who sent the mail. If it is a legit message the email address should look very straight forward. In your case, emails for one drive would look like this:
OneDrive <reply@mail.onedrive.com>

email@mail.onedrive.com

Usually spam or phishing email address would look suspicious like:

reply@onedrive.notreal.gmail.com

If you still aren't sure, safest thing to do is to open a browser and try to log into your onedrive account. If you have an outlook or Hotmail account Microsoft usually sets up a onedrive account for you too. If you do have a one drive account and you see nothing in it, it's fine to let it lapse.

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2022, 8:06 PM
If you have an outlook or Hotmail account Microsoft usually sets up a onedrive account for you too.
Also Office365...not sure about the non-subscription versions of the various Office apps, but I would not be surprised if a slug of OneDrive storage comes with those as well.

Dave Fritz
05-29-2022, 8:36 PM
I just got an email about Office 365. I cancelled auto renewal which I probably didn't need to do since the credit card they had was not valid anymore. I understand there's a free office I can use instead of paying $100 a year. I just don't use it very much.