PDA

View Full Version : Sagging router table update with pic

David Rose
07-20-2003, 12:31 AM
I thought I should post for those who attempted to help and helped me get this thing flat or relatively so. The 3 angle iron braces are new. I still have some shimming to do to get it as flat as I really want. But it did cut a 7" wide board dado to within .003" depth from side to side. My old "record" was around .015" which is too much for something like a sliding dovetail. Only in a few non critical places could I get an .008" feeler guage under the straight edge going either way. Prior to bracing, I could get a .030" gauge under in *critical* spots. It has very slight crown now. I "lost" the lower door handle but never opened it anyway with the top down.

Thanks everyone!

David

Terry Hatfield
07-20-2003, 1:39 AM
David,

Good job!!! Nice fix for the top. I bet you could park a Mack truck on the table now and not make it sag.

Terry

David Rose
07-20-2003, 3:16 AM
That was my first piece of "furniture". It was rather :( difficult to force myself to make it look like a tool. LOL But it does have a purpose and it definitely was not performing in all the ways I wanted it to. I left about a .005" crown right at the plate area. Hung that 14 (or so) pound router under the table and I have a .005" crown. :rolleyes: But time can do all sorts of things.

HD did not have any 1 1/4" lag bolts so I used 1" and they are not holding well. Two stripped and had to be plugged. The angle is only 1/8". They were installed with a screw driver handle and socket only. Shouldn't cross grain into plywood hold better than that? In the end, the angle iron was pulled down snug. Time will tell.

David

David,

Good job!!! Nice fix for the top. I bet you could park a Mack truck on the table now and not make it sag.

Terry

Dominic Greco
07-22-2003, 7:50 AM
David,
After shimming, you'll probably be able to bring it right back in line. My table was sagging like an old nag's back. I ended up using some thick galv washers as shims in some places!

I didn't realize it until I looked at your pictures. You built the same router table as I! "Router Magic" sure has left it's mark on a lot of peoples shops. :p

See ya around the Creek,
(Hey! that has a nice sound to it!)

Dominic

David Rose
07-22-2003, 5:07 PM
Dominic, you kind of saved me hours of frustration. Thanks sooo much! I was considering many options, but none allowed for adjustability of the table flatness itself. We are both indebted to whoever passed that tip to you.

I needed some pretty substantial washers too. I do need to "fine tune" the surface but will probably procrastinate until I find something that doesn't work well on it. For what I am doing now, it is great!

Yep! That Router Magic table was my first real furniture piece too. I threw together a makeshift table to make the RM table. That 15" square section in the middle is a lot of unsupported area. But it's fine now! Both of Bill's router books have been great for me.

David

David,
After shimming, you'll probably be able to bring it right back in line. My table was sagging like an old nag's back. I ended up using some thick galv washers as shims in some places!

I didn't realize it until I looked at your pictures. You built the same router table as I! "Router Magic" sure has left it's mark on a lot of peoples shops. :p

See ya around the Creek,
(Hey! that has a nice sound to it!)

Dominic