PDA

View Full Version : LV Bevel Up Jointer - new tool gloat....

Marc Langille
01-20-2006, 6:32 PM
It's arrived... I am now a proud father of a brand new baby LV BUJ with the jointer fence.

It didn't cost me a cent, either - I am doing it in exchange for a tabletop done with quartersawn and curly oak.

It sure is purdy...

Mike Wenzloff
01-20-2006, 6:48 PM
It's arrived... I am now a proud father of a brand new baby LV BUJ with the jointer fence.
It didn't cost me a cent, either - I am doing it in exchange for a tabletop done with quartersawn and curly oak.
It sure is purdy...
Hey Marc, I hate to tell you but that thing is full-grown!

Nice gloat! and a nice price to pay...good job!

Take care, Mike

David Abel
01-21-2006, 2:20 AM

It sure is purdy...

Did you get the new sharp-tipped adjustment screw with the fence? LV has modified the screw recently so that it just clears the machined portion of the side of the plane. The sharp tip rests on the rough casting area, by their design.

Derek Cohen
01-21-2006, 5:53 AM
I received one of the set screws in the mail as well. It is still in the envelope as it is not needed. Incidentally, I set up the jointer fence, added Loctite to set the threads permanently (the loctite will only loosen if heated).

The setting has remained spot-on, perfect and reliable. Setup is now a very quick process taking under a minute. A worthwhile modification for myself.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Marc Langille
01-21-2006, 7:41 AM
I did get a screw with details, etc. It was in the manila colored envelope.

I haven't touched anything yet (except whne doing the "ooooo, aaaaah thing).-

I cannot believe how comfortable the knob and tote designs are on this plane!

Marc Langille
01-21-2006, 7:46 AM
Timing couldn't have been better - got it yesterday - today is my birthday! :)

Jim Dunn
01-21-2006, 9:10 AM
Well Happy Birthday Marc, and nice gloat too.

Gary Herrmann
01-21-2006, 2:52 PM
Good deal Marc. Its a great plane. I've got the BU family, and am very pleased with all of them.

Pam Niedermayer
01-21-2006, 3:22 PM
Well, I hate to be a killjoy, but an oak table top is a cost, to buy/fell the oak, all the work involved, etc.

Pam

Marc Langille
01-21-2006, 8:24 PM
No worries - the oak came planed and jointed and in the board widths required, so it's a straightforward deal.

Bob Oehler
01-22-2006, 8:59 AM
Nice Plane
Enjoy it and use it in good health

How can I make a tabletop to get one of those wonderful planes. ;)

Make sure you put up a pic of two of the table top when you are finished

Happy Birthday

Bob Oehler

Mark Singer
01-22-2006, 9:07 AM
Marc,
I have that same model...and did get the screws sent from LV....I have not set my fence at 90 degrees , since I vary it ocassionaly to back bevel a door edge and similar taske....a great plane!

philip marcou
01-26-2006, 4:20 AM
Marc, good choice. Having worked with Stanleys and Records(older not modern disasters) I chose a Lee Valley 621/2-was suitably impressed but got happier when I substituted my own handles and a spare high angle blade. In fact that is the beauty about this type of plane-being bevel up enables one to change cutting angles easily.
I have now been making my own smoothers , based on that concept-see pic of my Veritas and #1 plane made to order for a customer.

Marc Langille
01-28-2006, 8:15 AM
Hi Philip,

Is the first pic of a plane kit? If so, can you confirm the company? I am always curious to know what people find success with...

Thanks,
Marc

Bill Borchardt
01-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Congratulations on the new toy, er I mean, tool!!

I looked at (and played with) the LV BU planes at the Atlanta Woodworking show this weekend. They seem NICE!

For those of you that have the LV BU planes, do you use them for planing non-figured wood (with one of the higher angle blades) or do you mainly use it with the stock blade on end grain and figured wood?

How does it do on "normally grained" wood?

Billbo

Terry Beadle
01-29-2006, 9:07 AM
My comment is directed at Phillip. The planes are very nice. Does one have to buy a mill to make the side and bottom pieces? Or woould one need one of those mill/drill/lathe machines to make the dovetail sides and bottom?

Please comment on what tools you used to make the planes.

Thanks.

David Abel
01-29-2006, 8:13 PM
Congratulations on the new toy, er I mean, tool!!

I looked at (and played with) the LV BU planes at the Atlanta Woodworking show this weekend. They seem NICE!

For those of you that have the LV BU planes, do you use them for planing non-figured wood (with one of the higher angle blades) or do you mainly use it with the stock blade on end grain and figured wood?

How does it do on "normally grained" wood?

Billbo

I use the HA blade for walnut and oak to stop tearout. Aren't we talking about the 22" jointer? Would you use a 22" plane on end grain? Maybe I missed something in the thread...

Bill Borchardt
01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
David,

You're right - moving that 22" jointer on end grain would be a trick!

I guess I didn't communicate clearly - I was looked at getting another plane including looking at several low angle (bevel-up) planes (a 22" jointer, a 15" jack, and a smaller 10" smoother (all by Lee Valley)) and I was asking for inputs.

I ended getting the 15" low angle jack (12 degree bed) (bevel-up) with a 25 degree blade (37 degree effective angle). I also bought a 38 degree blade (effective angle = 50 degrees).

The whole low angle "bevel-up" thing is new to me but they seemed to work real well when I demo'ed the planes.

Make sawdust, have fun, be safe . . .

Billbo

David Abel
01-30-2006, 1:06 AM
David,

You're right - moving that 22" jointer on end grain would be a trick!

I guess I didn't communicate clearly - I was looked at getting another plane including looking at several low angle (bevel-up) planes (a 22" jointer, a 15" jack, and a smaller 10" smoother (all by Lee Valley)) and I was asking for inputs.

I ended getting the 15" low angle jack (12 degree bed) (bevel-up) with a 25 degree blade (37 degree effective angle). I also bought a 38 degree blade (effective angle = 50 degrees).

The whole low angle "bevel-up" thing is new to me but they seemed to work real well when I demo'ed the planes.

Make sawdust, have fun, be safe . . .

Billbo
ah, ok, now I'm with you! All my planes are BU and therefore very versatile. I just pop in either 38 degree blade for HA, or the 25 for LA. All the planes will cut end grain well with the LA blades installed, but I'd use either the LA block plane, the shoulder planes, or I COULD use the smoother. The nice thing about the large shoulder plane from LV is that it's a hefty unit in a small form factor and excels at cutting end grain; even a bit better than the block plane. It's hard to describe the way the Veritas shoulder planes cut, compared to their other planes, so all I can say is that it's the cat's meow when I need more heft for planing end grain than what I get from the LA block.

I pretty much tamed tearout with the 38 degree blades (bedded at 12 degrees), and LV sells an even higher angled blade for more difficult woods. I've not needed that one yet so haven't purchase it. When I do need it, I'll be waiting at least a week, as that's how long my LV shipments take.

philip marcou
01-30-2006, 4:42 AM
Hi Philip,

Is the first pic of a plane kit? If so, can you confirm the company? I am always curious to know what people find success with...

Thanks,
Marc
Hell no! It is made by me, myself and me. I posted some pics under the heading "smoothers made by a woodworm".
Happy to answer any questions....

philip marcou
01-30-2006, 4:55 AM
My comment is directed at Phillip. The planes are very nice. Does one have to buy a mill to make the side and bottom pieces? Or woould one need one of those mill/drill/lathe machines to make the dovetail sides and bottom?

Please comment on what tools you used to make the planes.

Thanks. Terry, one can get away with a small lathe /mill combination, or just one of those milldrills, especially if it is a hefty one.Obviously sophisticated equipment makes life easier.
Being semi-lunatic, I have a lifetime's worth of tools and machines, bought new, old and dead on arrival.Engineering is worse than woodworking-the tools are more expensive and the list of stuff needed/wanted but not needed/to be upgraded etc is just as long.Oh, and the cutters....Basically
I have the usual woodworm's stuff, plus a small milldrill, a SouthBend lathe, an Emco super 11 with milling head. Have Converted a small bandsaw to cut tool steel, and have a huge belt grinder(home made) which is so versatile. Basically....
Don't tell anyone on OWWM about the SouthBend-it was shipped to the then Rhodesia in 1947, and is a gem-I require it to be buried next to me when I float away.