PDA

View Full Version : Killing Powder Post Beetles

Brian Hale
01-20-2006, 6:16 PM
I've got a few 24" long x 16" diameter apple logs that i just sawed into 1.5" slabs. PPB's are all through it. Is there a way i can dry the slabs and kill the beetles? Perhaps in the LOML's oven?
How long, how hot?

Brian :)

Steve Clardy
01-20-2006, 6:38 PM
I think the big boys fumigate them critters.

Mike Leone
01-20-2006, 7:23 PM
I got some maple rafters out of a 110 yr old barn they had ppb's I built a solar kiln on my driveway, put them in for a few weeks with a dehumidifier in the middle. during the day it got over 140 degrees and 120 at night, I think it killed them all. I have seen nothing come out in the past 6 months. I think the best way of kill these bastages is with heat, at night the asphalt will radiate heat back into the pile. The kiln was nothing more then the pile wraped in black pvc, sticked, with a dehumidifer and a fan to circulate the air in the box. From all I've read it needs to be dry, you need to get the temp over 130 in the core of the wood for a few hours. When it comes to ppbs you will read 15 different variations of this method, there are numerous threads on woodweb.com, if the wood isn't to dry look at boracare or tim-bor
Good Luck.

Brian Hale
01-20-2006, 7:27 PM
The logs have been outside unprotected for a few years and the wood feels damp when cut. There is also some spalting. It sounds like the oven might work?

Jamie Buxton
01-20-2006, 8:37 PM
Timbor, a borate insecticide, has a good reputation. Here's a page with more info -- http://www.pestproducts.com/timbor.htm.

Andy Hoyt
01-20-2006, 9:37 PM
Whatever you do, saw everything to an exagerated rough dimenson first. Then treat it. Why waste the effort on the scraps.

Wood burns - I don't recommend your wife's oven which is in her kitchen which is in the bank's house.

Brian Hale
01-20-2006, 9:43 PM
Thanks guys!

I wanted to avoid chemicals if possible as i plan on using the scraps for the grill, adds a nice flavor to chicken. :)

I was reading elsewhere on the 'net that 135 deg+ for 24 hours should kill the buggies and dry the wood enough. I guess it's also time to buy a moisture meter...

Vaughn McMillan
01-20-2006, 10:33 PM
...I wanted to avoid chemicals if possible as i plan on using the scraps for the grill, adds a nice flavor to chicken. :)

I realize the beetles help kick it up a notch, but I prefer to use crickets or grasshoppers. More of a crispy texture to the chicken. :D

- Vaughn

/knows nothing about PPBs

Brian Hale
01-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Obviously you've never had grilled PPB's and peanut butter!

Steve Clardy
01-21-2006, 9:56 AM
Obviously you've never had grilled PPB's and peanut butter!

Whewwwww:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Roger Bell
01-21-2006, 11:43 AM
For pieces this small, a couple days in a chest freezer will also work. Might be a better way to go than the kitchen oven.