PDA

View Full Version : DJ-20 110V wiring change?

Ed Bamba
01-20-2006, 4:26 PM
Ok, not sure where my post went, so hopefully this will not be a double-post.

My DJ-20 has landed. Pix comming soon, as well as purchase specifics.

It comes pre-wired for 220V. Opened up the base to change it over to 110V, low and behold, no placard anywhere on the motor. Called Delta customer support and they faxed me a wiring diagram. It was a good thing I have a fax machine because they couldn't email the diagram to me.

Just need verification on the faxed diagram.

For 115V: connect L1 to wires marked 1,3,5 and connect L2 to wires marked 2,4,8.

For 230V: connect L1 to wire marked 1, connect L2 to wires marked 4,8, and connect wires marked 2,3,5 to one another.

Does this sound right?

Also need to replace the 220V plug with a 115V plug. It currently has an 8-foot 14AWGx3 power cord. What size 8-foot power cord should I get for 115V? BTW it is 1.5 HP 110/220V, 16.3/8.1Amp motor.

Tahnks for your input, Ed

tod evans
01-20-2006, 4:32 PM
ed, going on my feeble memory the wires sound right? but the reason i posted is 12gauge is safe but i`d run 10 just `cause i`m a firm believer in oversized wire........02 tod

Jeff Sudmeier
01-20-2006, 4:36 PM
Ed, 12 gauge wire will handle up to 20 amps, so you make the call :)

I can't help on the re-wire. I used 220v on mine and plugged it into a 220v socket.

Ed Bamba
01-20-2006, 4:36 PM
ed, going on my feeble memory the wires sound right? but the reason i posted is 12gauge is safe but i`d run 10 just `cause i`m a firm believer in oversized wire........02 tod

Will take that under advisement sir. Just wanted to use that comment; politicians use it all the time. But seriously Tod, I will keep that in mind when I go to the hardware store.

Take care, Ed

tod evans
01-20-2006, 4:38 PM
Will take that under advisement sir. Just wanted to use that comment; politicians use it all the time. But seriously Tod, I will keep that in mind when I go to the hardware store.

Take care, Ed

please for heavens sake don`t sir me! i work for a living....02 tod

Ed Bamba
01-20-2006, 4:48 PM
please for heavens sake don`t sir me! i work for a living....02 tod

My humblest appologies Dude, and may a thousand camel fleas infest my arm pits:eek: . Never-ever will I make that mistake again :o . I forgot about not calling us working type "sir".

Take care, Ed

Dev Emch
01-20-2006, 6:17 PM
My humblest appologies Dude, and may a thousand camel fleas infest my arm pits:eek: . Never-ever will I make that mistake again :o . I forgot about not calling us working type "sir".

Take care, Ed

Yah, and when the smoky gives you a nice paper reminder of not paying attention to those wird black and white signs with numbers on them, he always says...

..... And Have a Nice Day Sir.......

Bryan Somers
01-20-2006, 7:03 PM
Ed The wiring does sound right, but I must say that the vast majority of moters I worked with was 3 phase. 12 guage cable is heavy enough although nothing wrong with going bigger. Just be sure your plug and outlets are rated for 20 amps as many 110 volt outlets and plugs are only rated for 15 amps.

Ed Bamba
01-20-2006, 9:18 PM
Well, just got done rewiring and installing a 12/3, 15-foot power cord (bobed off the end of an extension cord). Put everything back together, crossed my fingers, made the sign of the cross, said a short prayer, made sure I had a clear path out of the garage, pluged it in and pushed in the ON button. Lights slightly dimmed momentarily as the motor came up to speed. No smoke, didn't see any sparks, no electrical burning smell, 20Amp CB didn't trip--I guess I did well http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif, for now at least.

Ran a couple 2x poplar sticks thru it. No visable gaps between the sticks. BTW--this was only my second time using a joiner, so I was a bit nervous. Yup--used a coulple of push blocks too.

Still need to clean off the casmoline and buff the tables. Just wanted to see how it cuts. It'll be a lot easier pushing wood through once the tables are all polished up.

I'll try to post some pix once she's all cleaned up.

One question though. This machine was purchased in used condition and the owner returned it for a bigger jointer. So, not sure to what extent he tuned it up, but if the joint between the two sticks are an indication, he seems to have done a decent tune up. I did notice that the drive belt flutters while it is running (obviously). How much flutter should I expect? The machine was sitting idle for months so that may have something to do with it. That's just a WAG on my part though.

Thanks again for all your input an advise.

Take care, Ed