PDA

View Full Version : Arts and Crafts Design ?

Marc Wittman
02-20-2003, 1:22 PM
Hi all, I'm a former ponder. The site here looks really nice, good work to all involved.

My question pertains to a & c design. I'm designing a TV stand that will have 2 doors on the front with a drawer below them. Behind the doors is a/v equipment. My client really likes the "slats" look and he wants the entire sides to be slats. I somewhat questioned this idea thinking that a cabinet that was closed or covered in both the front and back might look a bit strange with slatted sides. I haven't been able to find any pieces like this, which makes me think I might be right. There's also the issue of dust getting into the cabinet where the a/v equipment is, which my client doesn't seem to be concerned with.

So, what do ya'll think? Is this ok? Anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Lasley
02-20-2003, 2:09 PM
I hate it when a customer thinks they want something when I know they are not going to like it when its done. But then again, sometimes I think that and they like it anyway. About all I know to do is to show them drawings of what the piece will look like and if they still want it, have them sign the drawings. One other thing to do might be to make a mockup out of cardboard or something to show them.

BTW, I agree with you in that this is not a place for slats.

Good luck,
Bob

GEDunton
02-20-2003, 8:27 PM
First warn the customer that his design is not a good dust free enclosure. Do it in writing. Then massage his ego with the "that is a pretty" design idea. Make him/her commit in writing that this is the idea they want immoratalized in their LR. You're then cushioned.

Actually the concept is very attractive. Slatted sides in the AC tradition, I assume some thru tenons for the base frame, and the de rigor oak construction. But you one up him/her by backing the side slat construct with an internal overlay of oak venier stock to create the requisite dust barrier. Basicly a slats over panel effect.

What the heck am I talking about? Darned if I know. But it willl work.

Hopefully helpful.

Kevin Post
02-25-2003, 4:26 PM
In this application, the slatted sides may provide some advantages because of the fact that this unit will house AV equipment. The slatted design will provide ventilation necessary to keep the equipment cool.

I have seen photos of a unit like this but I can't recall where. The peice had slats over the entire side. They were deeper then normal and spaced relatively close together to hide the contents better. As I recall, the guy who built it also applied dark speaker grill-cloth to the inside to keep the lights from the equipment from being seen through the side of the cabinet.

-Kevin